Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you get stressed or paranoid if people stare or look at you on the street or on transport

(6 Posts)
VladmirsPoutine Tue 07-Feb-17 18:11:04

Because I do.

I guess the issue is more with me. I don't even really remember after a couple of days but I wonder why they are looking. In London I don't look. Even if sitting in a cafe and people watching I make an effort to not look. So why do people look! FFS! Don't do it!

pineapplesplit Tue 07-Feb-17 18:17:38

It will be about your mood not theirs. When im in a good mood i rarely notice people glancing at me. When im in a bad place it seems like all the laughter i hear is directed at me. Of course its not but its just how you feel at the time. People may be looking at you for all sorts of reasons and quite often just staring into the distance and you happen to be there. What are they all supposed to do, look at the ground lol!?!
In Europe its not as rude to stare and people will just fix their gaze on you. Especially on public transport. I remember getting on the metro in paris once alone and literally everyone in the carriage was staring a me for the entire journey. Its just not rude there so everyone does it to each other. They arent trying to be aggressive they just dont see any need to avert their gaze. Very intense for someone from the UK!
Just remember that its your mood not theirs thats colouring the situation. I mean do you ever look at someone because you hate them or thing they look awful? I never do. In fact if someone looked particularly unusual id probably make effort NOT to look at them because id worry about them thinking i was staring.
So if you do notice people looking at you its probably usually an accident and their glance was just in that direction at the time or they like something about you or are interested by you.

barinatxe Tue 07-Feb-17 18:18:51

Yes. It's usually my own imagination, but yes it unnerves me. I'm ok with an accidental glance or quick eye contact, these things happen, but it's when you get the blatant stare. Usually the local XXXX kids who have to stare at someone in order to show how hard they are to their mates.

For some reason the worst place for me is the supermarket checkout. When you're queuing, you either have to stare at the person in front who is packing their shopping, stare at the checkout person, stare at the person in the next checkout along, stare at your shoes or stare aimlessly into the middle-distance (my favoured option, even if it makes me look like I'm checking where the CCTV cameras are).

minipie Tue 07-Feb-17 18:19:08

They're probably not from London grin

DelphiniumBlue Tue 07-Feb-17 18:19:16

I have to say, I have never noticed people looking at me.

Janey50 Tue 07-Feb-17 18:26:01

I notice this sometimes. It only happens about once every couple of months,but I have day when EVERYONE seems to be giving me funny looks,or looking at me just that bit too long. I try to tell myself I'm imagining it but it does seem very real to me,and I end up getting a bit paranoid and checking that I haven't got my skirt tucked in my knickers,or got toothpaste in my hair (has happened!),or that I've come out wearing my slippers. But no. I can't ever find a reason. Think it must just be me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now