Talk

Advanced search

Passing on car seat?

(10 Posts)
ImnotPadget Tue 07-Feb-17 10:56:50

DHs cousin is pregnant and money's a bit tight for them. She has been asking various people if they have any baby stuff she can have, and asked us if there was any of DSs clothes we didn't want.

I explained that we were planning to keep DS's clothes for (hopefully) DC2 but she was very welcome to have our old car seat, which is in perfect condition.

Cousin has gone batshit. Says we are endangering her baby, everyone knows you don't get second hand car seats etc. I have explained that that's in case it's been in a car accident and we haven't. Aunt has been on the phone to MIL to ask what on earth we were thinking (MiL is as baffled as us).

Is it really bad form to try and pass on a car seat? Or is cousin just being a bit PFB?

SorrelSoup Tue 07-Feb-17 10:59:16

She's got confused. You don't buy second hand from a stranger as you can't be sure if it's been in a crash. What an idiot? Is this a sign of things to come??? Send her a link and await an apology.

namechange20050 Tue 07-Feb-17 10:59:23

Car seats are fine as long as they haven't been in an accident and aren't ancient (the plastic can degrade over time). She's being ridiculous. And rude. I wouldn't give her anything after that outburst!

welshweasel Tue 07-Feb-17 11:00:42

I sold my car seat on eBay. I'm clearly a monster. Your cousin sounds batshit crazy and I wouldn't be offering stuff to her anymore.

user892 Tue 07-Feb-17 11:02:04

Why is she looking for evidence that you're out to get her?!!

pipsqueak25 Tue 07-Feb-17 11:02:37

i wouldn't use a second car seat even if i knew it's history, but then how would you know it hasn't been damaged in anyway ? it doesn't have to be a full on smash job, even a shunt can stretch straps even by a small amount.
your cousin sounds a bit pfb but i can see her pov. aunt needs to butt out though,

Ewock Tue 07-Feb-17 11:04:21

What an over reaction. I wouldn't buy a 2nd hand car seat as you do not know if it has been in a crash or if the person is lying about that etc. However from family yes I would accept it and say thanks very much. Car seats are expensive so that would be a massive help. You have told them it is in good condition so i have no idea whatvher problem is. As I say a total over reaction and a tad unhinged especially getting Aunt involved! Some people are very weird. Maybe she specifically wanted your ds clothes? But as you say you want to keep them for dc2. We have only just started to give away ds clothes as our 2nd dc is dd. We have kept the things we want for her but other stuff which either is wrong seaon for her to wear now (ds summer born, dd winter born) we are giving away. But its your choice what you would like to give and when.

PotteringAlong Tue 07-Feb-17 11:04:45

I wouldn't have accepted your car seat either, but I would have just politely said "no thank you"

ImnotPadget Tue 07-Feb-17 11:28:25

I wouldn't mind at all if she just said she didn't want it - it was the reaction that got me.

I understand why people wouldn't want a second hand one but it is a shame because its been used so rarely - we only use it at the weekends.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 07-Feb-17 11:38:41

Yes - she has gone over the top crazy. Definitely wouldn't go for a general second hand one but when its a family member offering it with a full history (ie. knows for certain not involved in a crash) then that is absolutely fine.

Blame her hormones - but as for her Mum she is just a numpty

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now