Talk

Advanced search

DH thinks im being silly RE: Slowcooker

(44 Posts)
xStefx Tue 07-Feb-17 10:49:24

Ok.. Im aware this is a very small issue but I just wanted someone else's views on this. DH has bought a slow cooker and to be fair cooks amazing things in it. He usually leaves it on all day while we are at work which I don't have an issue with. However, Last night he prepared food at 10pm and planned to leave it on till 6am (when he gets up) . I didn't feel comfortable with this , I usually turn everything off before bed and also don't like the thought of us all being asleep upstairs when something's cooking downstairs. Can I have your thoughts? I may genuinely be being silly. we haven't argued about it or anything.

arbrighton Tue 07-Feb-17 10:50:40

I don't see how it's any different to leaving it on while you're out TBH

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 07-Feb-17 10:50:43

Don't see that its much different from leaving it in the day tbh. You have smoke alarms presumably.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Tue 07-Feb-17 10:51:09

It's fine.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 07-Feb-17 10:51:17

Snap arbrighton!

Rattymare Tue 07-Feb-17 10:51:24

I often use mine overnight, never had a problem with it.

Rumtopf Tue 07-Feb-17 10:52:22

It's no different to during the day at all.
You have smoke alarms etc that are frequently tested and checked?

I do this all the time overnight so there's porridge or rice pudding etc for breakfast.

EssieTregowan Tue 07-Feb-17 10:52:24

Do you turn the fridge off at night? The freezer? The burglar alarm?

Mehfruittea Tue 07-Feb-17 10:53:36

Why would you do this? I prep at night, put the slow cooker dish into the fridge and then in the morning put it on as normal. Why would anyone want tea cooked for 6 AM?

xStefx Tue 07-Feb-17 10:56:45

Yes working smoke alarms, and checked regularly :-)

Thankyou all, ill chill when he cooks in the night from now on and just look forward to the food :-)

xStefx Tue 07-Feb-17 10:58:29

Mehfruittea he cooked curry to take to work for dinner today and then I can also have it tonight when I get in (I get in quite a few hours before him) I thought it was a bit strange him cooking a curry for 6am though lol

GinIsIn Tue 07-Feb-17 10:58:33

Do you unplug the freezer, and your sky box or virgin media overnight? It's fine. Surely it's more dangerous to leave it on all day with nobody there to intervene than it is to do so overnight....

DustOffYourHighestHopes Tue 07-Feb-17 10:59:36

I think it's much safer to leave electrical stuff on during the day (whether we're in or out) rather than at night.

During the day you have more awareness if things go wrong. Or you're out so the worst that happens is the house burns down. At night you're unconscious so fires can get going quite a bit (even with a smoke alarm) before you notice.

A fireman said that you should never put dishwasher or washer/dryer on overnight - for the same reason, I'd not put a slow cooker on overnight.

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Tue 07-Feb-17 11:01:39

Working smoke alarms and your in the house, I think it's fine! We do that often overnight but I won't leave the house with something cooking

xStefx Tue 07-Feb-17 11:03:48

Dust off - I think I was probably thinking on the same lines as you (I would rather me and the kids were out in the day if a fire were to happen rather than us be asleep upstairs)

My fridge and freezer are in a separated part of the house so ive never really had to worry about turning them off but yes I do religiously turn everything off inc sky.

However, I feel much more reassured that others leave it on with no issues. Thanks all

AngryGinger Tue 07-Feb-17 11:36:44

As far as I know electricity does not know if it is AM or PM and does not get significantly more or less dangerous during these times anyway. I would leave it on overnight, if on the very slim off chance something does happen you are in the house to see to it.

NarkyMcDinkyChops Tue 07-Feb-17 11:38:58

yes I do religiously turn everything off inc sky

WHY though? I've never understood what people think will happen? People unplug everything except the fridge freezer (they trust the fridge!)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VkNaAPHfyI

xStefx Tue 07-Feb-17 11:49:47

Narky - to answer your question Its probably because of a bad experience that happened within the family when I was young (not me but my cousin) . It involved a dodgy plug that caught fire. I think it just plays on my mind as it was a horrible experience for all involved. Im probably just a lot more careful because of that I expect :-(

xStefx Tue 07-Feb-17 11:50:34

Off now anyway but thankyou so much for your help everyone. I will let him cook away whatever the time lol xx

sparechange Tue 07-Feb-17 11:55:42

Surely a slow cooker is very low wattage, so comparing it to the risk of fire from a tumble drier is crazy?
It's like comparing it to a light bulb being left on overnight, which I'm sure pretty much everyone does or has done

BrieAndChilli Tue 07-Feb-17 11:58:03

I no longer leave the tumble dryer on when we leave the house/go to bed as last year I was cooking and spelt burning, turned around and smoke was pouring out the top of he tumble dryer. I dread to think what would have happened if we had been out/asleep.
I leave sky/tablets and phones charging/fridge/slow cooker etc plugged in but will no longer leave something that uses a lot of power/generates heat on unsupervised.

ShotsFired Tue 07-Feb-17 12:06:44

I go double bubble - I put everything in the night before, then leave it out on the side all night and then turn it on in the morning whether I am home or out at work.

And I have never once browned anything before slowcooking either.

Oblomov17 Tue 07-Feb-17 12:12:05

I don't agree with Dusts 'awareness'at all - if you have a smoke alarm: and you upstairs asleep ? how are you more aware during the day - even if you're 'out'? how can you be more aware if you're not even there?

jollygoose Tue 07-Feb-17 12:14:00

I used mine overnight to cook roast beef in as I wanted it to go cold in morning the only down sie was that I woke up at 3am to the smell of beef wafting up the stairs!

salsamad Tue 07-Feb-17 12:14:57

Washing Machines are the top appliance that cause house fires(14%) followed by tumble dryers (12%) and then dishwashers(11%).
I would never set mine to go on when we are going to bed or if we are going out of the house.
Our local fire brigade recommends you only have them switched on/working if you are at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now