Talk

Advanced search

Mums never turned up!

(90 Posts)
hungryhippo90 Tue 07-Feb-17 09:38:29

My child's just started a new school, there's a group of the parents that I've become friendly with, despite my apparent social anxieties.

I was invited to go to breakfast with them this morning straight after drop off this morning,
I was ecstatic! Of course I said yes, /!; I was at the restaurant by 9:04.

The restaurant is a 3/4 minute walk from the school.
I've been sat here for half an hour, looking at the door, but it's dawned on me that no one is going to come.

I feel really embarrassed, I told the lady in the restaurant I was looking for a group of mums that I was supposed to be meeting, and that they were all probably sat down already so she knows I've been stood up too!

How do I navigate this?

DearMrDilkington Tue 07-Feb-17 09:40:09

Oh God! Any chance you've got the wrong restaurant? Can't you give them a ring and see what's going on?

DontTouchTheMoustache Tue 07-Feb-17 09:40:11

Oh dear. Are you sure you have the right day/time/location? What time were they supposed to meet? Do you have one of their numbersto drop them a quick text or call?

mumonashoestring Tue 07-Feb-17 09:40:48

Do you have a mobile number for any of them?

brassbrass Tue 07-Feb-17 09:41:04

could you be in the wrong place or got the date wrong?

Maudlinmaud Tue 07-Feb-17 09:41:55

I agree with others, most likely a mistake.
Get yourself a coffee.

Rachie1986 Tue 07-Feb-17 09:42:19

Mobile number or Facebook message etc, was it today we were supposed to be meeting or did I get mixed up?!

ALemonyPea Tue 07-Feb-17 09:44:30

Oh no! I hope it's just a small misunderstanding. Do you have any of them on FB or mobile number that you could message?

GinIsIn Tue 07-Feb-17 09:44:49

Are you sure you have the right day/place?

Mooey89 Tue 07-Feb-17 09:45:44

It will be a misunderstanding. Text them.

winniewigs Tue 07-Feb-17 09:46:45

Hoping that it's all just a misunderstanding.

Lilaclily Tue 07-Feb-17 09:46:59

You poor thing

The80sweregreat Tue 07-Feb-17 09:48:29

Was it just a general thing ' we sometimes meet up at such and such' without anything being set for today?
if you have facebook or a mobile for one of them, just send a generic message ' was it today your meeting up and where?'
If not, ask them tomorrow at the gate. sorry its happened to you though.

ohfourfoxache Tue 07-Feb-17 09:50:37

You have nothing to be embarrassed about thanks

emsyj37 Tue 07-Feb-17 09:51:41

It will be a mistake/crossed wires. Grown adult women do not conspire in groups to make someone sit alone in a restaurant and be embarrassed - except in movies! Contact one of them if you have details, tell the waitress you must have got the day wrong and go on with your day. If you suffer with social anxiety then this may feel personal, but it won't be - I promise. Nobody has set this up, it's just a mistake. If they serve nice breakfasts then maybe stay and have one anyway and enjoy a bit of peace - or a few MN Classics threads!

MadMags Tue 07-Feb-17 09:56:01

Sounds like crossed wires somewhere.

Can't you text someone??

Suzytwoshoes Tue 07-Feb-17 09:57:14

Just tell the waitress you must have the wrong date, no need to be embarrassed. Order a nice breakfast anyway!
Message the other mums to find out what happened!

NavyandWhite Tue 07-Feb-17 09:58:52

That's a shame. Don't be embarrassed. Hopefully the days have been mixed up. Can you text one of them?

Rugbyplayersarehot Tue 07-Feb-17 09:59:30

Text the one you know best love. Misunderstanding

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Tue 07-Feb-17 10:00:03

I'm so sorry OP, I had this exact same thing with my "friends" from NCT. They changed the venue, managed to tell everyone in the group except me. I never saw any of them again 😡😢

Floggingmolly Tue 07-Feb-17 10:00:33

Oh, you poor thing! It'll be a misunderstanding; did you see any of them at drop off?

BenLinusatemyhomework Tue 07-Feb-17 10:01:57

Oh no! Holding your hand - it's quite likely just a mistake on their part.

TheLivingAsheth Tue 07-Feb-17 10:02:05

If it was straight after drop off, would you not all be walking down together? Perhaps they thought you would all be walking down together so if you weren't there, you weren't coming, and then they decided to go somewhere else.

Coconut0il Tue 07-Feb-17 10:02:48

Hope you got a nice breakfast and coffee anyway. Don't be embarrassed.

hungryhippo90 Tue 07-Feb-17 10:02:51

I'm sure that it was today, as there was a fund raising event, the one who invited me said that after breakfast she would bank the money. Also sure of the venue because she told me where and I'd eaten a roast dinner there several weeks ago, and noticed they did breakfasts, we were talking about the cost (all you can eat buffet type for about a fiver!) and it's the only place like it in the area.

Maybe it was cancelled and because they don't have my details they couldn't make me aware.

I'd ran past a few of the parents who I don't know as well, but they didn't say anything.

It just feels like a big thing because I made such an effort to go, and I've been kicking myself for seeming like such a wet blanket. I hoped that today I would feel a bit more comfortable and they might even think I'm a laugh..... So Much riding on one breakfast!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now