Talk

Advanced search

To give visiting child hotdogs for tea?

(445 Posts)
EssieTregowan Tue 07-Feb-17 09:05:02

With baked beans, so that counts as healthy, right? wink

Just an idle ponder really as I know this particular 4yo's mum doesn't mind at all. But when ds2 starts widening his friendship group are the other mums going to judge if the fare on offer is quick stuff like pasta pesto, or nuggets, or <shock> plastic sausages?

Tuesdays are really the only day we can have his friends round, but it's also the day the shopping comes and it doesn't come until 4.30 so dinner is very often the quickest option <excuses>.

Would you judge? Or would it not even cross your mind?

Soubriquet Tue 07-Feb-17 09:06:22

Meh I wouldn't care as long as my kids were fed

One meal is not a big issue for me

Auspiciouspanda Tue 07-Feb-17 09:07:10

Uh I would mind hotdogs yeah, they're full of crap and are gross.

Frozen pizza type stuff I would be fine with.

(I maybe a hypocrite with that I dunno)

anyname123 Tue 07-Feb-17 09:07:31

I'd just be happy you had fed my child grin I think that so long as you're not loading them up with sugar and pop before sending them home anything else is fair game

Rubyslippers7780 Tue 07-Feb-17 09:08:46

Would not cross my mind at all. My 4 year old will only eat fish fingers or dry crackers.. despite being ebf then weaned on all home made organic.... don't be judgy...I'm desperate for the day he will eat beans or pasta or anything else!!! ( not for want of trying )

Mum2jenny Tue 07-Feb-17 09:08:58

It would depend on the hotdogs as there are some really good ones and some which I wouldn't feed to a cat.

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Tue 07-Feb-17 09:10:25

Agree with Auspicious above.

I'm not totally against some processed food for an occasional quick and easy tea, but not hotdogs. They are totally filled with crap. What about decent quality sausages and beans? Pizza?

When we have friends round for tea, I sometimes give them pizza based or tortillas and let them make their own pizzas. It's fun for them, easy for you

EssieTregowan Tue 07-Feb-17 09:10:35

They are Hertz frankfurters.

Or Frankenfurters as we call them. We don't have them often but the kids love them. It's so rare to find a meal they will all eat without moaning so I tend to stick with what they will.

I do cook properly for most of the week...

FlyWaxSleepRepeat Tue 07-Feb-17 09:11:00

Personally I love a cheap and nasty hotdog, but since they're generally made from lips, ears and arseholes the dregs that can't be made into anything else some parents might be a bit hmm about it and maybe something like a cheese sandwich might be better.

NavyandWhite Tue 07-Feb-17 09:11:07

It's not something I'd do personally. I hate them. But if Ds was out for tea at a friend's I wouldn't bother.

dementedpixie Tue 07-Feb-17 09:11:13

Some of the hotdogs from the chill cabinet are better than the ones you get in a tin/jar. Wouldn't bother me tbh

Chippednailvarnishing Tue 07-Feb-17 09:11:44

No thanks. If you're going to feed my kid crap at least make it veggy crap.

5moreminutes Tue 07-Feb-17 09:13:18

When my kids go to their friends' for lunch/ tea/ sleepovers they are fed frozen pizza 90% of the time, on the basis that 90% of kids eat frozen pizza... Often their is side salad as a nod to healthy eating (which one of my kids won't touch though he'd happily eat individual raw veg - but other parents aren't to know that!)

If you cook a healthy meal there are quite high odds the visiting child will reject it or cry if they are 4 My youngest sent the day with his mate on Saturday and his mum apologised that he'd only eaten cornflakes for lunch because I have one of the few children in the western world who won't eat pasta - hardly her fault, entirely my and my son's problem!

Anyone who thinks going to a friend's house means their children will get and eat a healthy home cooked meal is probably going to be disappointed quite soon...

taptonaria27 Tue 07-Feb-17 09:13:26

Proper sausage no, tinned hotdog sausage yes, I'd maybe mind a little. Pizza, nuggets, pasta all fine it's just the tinned sausages, this is probably biased by the fact that I hate them and buy them for the dog but anything that costs 39p for 6 can't be good quality (I do accept that Heinz are probably a lot more!)

harderandharder2breathe Tue 07-Feb-17 09:13:53

Yanbu

Quick and easy tea

Judgey pants parents need to not send their children for tea anywhere then.

SnugglySnerd Tue 07-Feb-17 09:14:02

What about hotdogs but made with decent sausages? I wouldn't complain about anyone kindly feeding my child though.

5moreminutes Tue 07-Feb-17 09:14:04

*there is a

dementedpixie Tue 07-Feb-17 09:14:17

Herta ones are 74.5% pork so have more meat than most sausages

wispagold1234 Tue 07-Feb-17 09:16:47

I wouldn't offer to host someone's kid again if the parent commented on the food.
Intolerances and allergies aside, anything is fine in my opinion.
One meal for a treat with a mate won't harm anyone.

arethereanyleftatall Tue 07-Feb-17 09:17:39

Neither of my dc liked any of the processed stuff that is supposed to be a treat on play dates - fishfingers, hotdogs, nuggets etc
I don't mind them having this stuff for a play date, but they don't like it, and it seems silly to feed them rubbish when they'd prefer veg.

I think the best food that most children like is pasta. I haven't met a single child who doesn't like pasta.

Elvisrocks Tue 07-Feb-17 09:18:14

If you are just looking for easy, I would go for frozen pizza over hotdogs because I think hotdogs are gross!

EssieTregowan Tue 07-Feb-17 09:18:39

Mine won't eat pizza...

arethereanyleftatall Tue 07-Feb-17 09:18:44

Or 'make your own' wraps. That goes down well.

HicDraconis Tue 07-Feb-17 09:19:26

I wouldn't worry about it as a one off meal in terms of health value (or lack of it!), assuming my son isn't coming round for tea that often it's not going to make much of a dent in his otherwise healthy diet. Hot dog type sausages are called cheerios here and they are a staple favourite among most kids.

I don't tend to make them for friends purely because my kids don't like them - we have sausages and meatballs from our pig in the freezer so I use those.

kilmuir Tue 07-Feb-17 09:20:03

Not sure white pasta is that great

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now