Talk

Advanced search

SIL tattoo

(166 Posts)
charley3005 Mon 06-Feb-17 21:57:06

Basically my SIL has met my DD for the first time today as have the rest of DP family due to us living far from them! SIL decided today to announce she is getting a tattoo of my daughters name and something to represent her! AIBU to be really annoyed at this without even being asked?

lifeisup Mon 06-Feb-17 21:58:38

YABU. Her body, her choice.

It's strange though confused

Sunnydaysrock Mon 06-Feb-17 21:59:02

Yanbu I think that's a bit odd and ott.

Mumzypopz Mon 06-Feb-17 22:00:24

It's a bit weird, don't think I'd like it. Some parents do this, not Aunty's. Won't she have kids of her own at some point? Having said that, it's her body, and you can't really stop her.

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Mon 06-Feb-17 22:01:04

Well she is her niece and if she wants to have her name or whatever put on her body then I don't see the problem with it.

I've a friend that has like a family free tattooed on her back, with names of husband/children/ siblings/niece/nephew/parents. The design of it is kind of cool

HarryPottersMagicWand Mon 06-Feb-17 22:01:15

YANBU. I'd question it and I wouldn't want a representation of my child on someone else's body. I didn't like it when my SIL changed her Facebook profile picture to one of my son.

SavoyCabbage Mon 06-Feb-17 22:02:04

Well, it's not something I would want to do but your dd is her niece and I don't think your SIL needs to ask you if she can have a tattoo. It's a bit intense though. My niece is 11. I can just imagine her rolling her eyes at my tattoo dedicated to her.

Maybe you should tell her you want fifteen more dc!

LaundryQueenHatesIroning Mon 06-Feb-17 22:02:49

YANBU. It's definitely odd and I wouldn't like it one bit.

I'm not really sure there's much you can do about it though unfortunately.

Grittyshunts Mon 06-Feb-17 22:02:51

YANBU I wouldn't like it.

Pinkheart5915 Mon 06-Feb-17 22:04:34

She is her Aunt not a stranger so I don't think it's weird at all. It's her body at the end of the day

On my back I have my dc name and my nephews name, my nephew means a lot to me! He is now 14 and thinks it's rather cool

Sweets101 Mon 06-Feb-17 22:04:35

I'd be a bit confused that she would want to but I certainly wouldn't expect her to ask my permission 😂 that's ridiculous!

pinkiepie1 Mon 06-Feb-17 22:04:54

No you are not being unreasonable. Went through something similar and it caused ww3 with my in laws.
If you don't want her to get it done tell her so straight, and ask...
What will happen when she has her own kids?
Or if you have more?

Bluntness100 Mon 06-Feb-17 22:05:36

Does she have other tattoos? If she does this with others in her family or is heavily tattooed it's probably quite normal. If it's her only tattoo it's weird as hell.

HamletsSister Mon 06-Feb-17 22:05:41

Get her to make sure she uses ALL the names and make up a comical extra middle name....

melj1213 Mon 06-Feb-17 22:08:57

Does she have lots of other tattoos or would this be her first/only one because I think the context matters ...

If she has lots of tattoos already or tattos of her own kids or something then I think it's a nice tribute to include one for her niece but if it will be her first/only tattoo then it does seem a bit of a strange motivation to get one

Bluebellevergreen Mon 06-Feb-17 22:10:23

Weird. Very weird.
But her body her choice I guess.
An idea comes to mind 😏
Maybe you change your minds on the name... you have 6 weeks from birth 😝😝😝😝

FineLookingHighHorse Mon 06-Feb-17 22:13:10

You dont like her, do you? wink

WorraLiberty Mon 06-Feb-17 22:13:19

Asked???

She's supposed to ask you if she can tattoo her own body?

BillSykesDog Mon 06-Feb-17 22:14:09

Is your DD her niece? It's not clear from the post if DP is her father or not as you say 'my DD' rather than 'our'. If she's her aunt by blood then a bit ott but rather sweet. If DP is not her father then it's bloody weird.

Chickoletta Mon 06-Feb-17 22:19:25

Bloody weird. I would be very unhappy if my SIL did this and would tell her so - or get DH to do it.

GabsAlot Mon 06-Feb-17 22:20:17

maybe odd but maybe she cant have children and wants to be cloe to them

CheerfullyIndifferent Mon 06-Feb-17 22:21:32

My sister has a tattoo for my DD. It's not her name, but something that represents her. It's a beautiful delicate drawing and I thought it was a lovely gesture and now want to copy it

DontTouchTheMoustache Mon 06-Feb-17 22:23:27

YABU, she can get a tattoo of anything she wants.

DontTouchTheMoustache Mon 06-Feb-17 22:24:03

My friend had a tattoo of her nieces name in Arabic on her wrist and I think it looks very nice.

AtrociousCircumstance Mon 06-Feb-17 22:24:23

Very weird and disturbingly possessive but you can't have a say in whatever fucking crazy decision she makes about her body.

Just remember it has no bearing on anything real. You don't have to see her and your daughter doesn't have to have a relationship with this person if you don't think she'll be a healthy person for her to connect with. Judge that as you see fit, her tattoos are irrelevant.

It's a signal to you that this person has fucked boundaries and a warning that you need to have strong, iron-clad boundaries yourself where she is concerned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now