Talk

Advanced search

In thinking my SIL is wrong?

(18 Posts)
mediocremumatherbest Mon 06-Feb-17 21:10:01

I've always been slightly overweight, unless I've been living an unhealthy lifestyle (back in the day y'no) but recently my SIL claimed I'd never meet a man if I didn't make an effort. I have 2 small children and I'm not even looking for a relationship, infact I'd rather be a little bit far if it meant swerving attention from leering men. Do all women who are attached assume single women are desperate for a man??

NavyandWhite Mon 06-Feb-17 21:12:41

Nope.

Tell her to button it. Cheeky mare.

SundialShadow Mon 06-Feb-17 21:17:23

There is a mindset with some people that women need a man to be "complete"....
There are some people who recognise this point of view for the horse-plop that it is....
^Tell her you are a lesbian and fighting them off with a stick^

SomethingBorrowed Tue 07-Feb-17 12:44:58

I do blush sorry... I guess because I can't imagine being happy without a DP so it is hard to imagine someone else could. Not saying I am right, though.

kilmuir Tue 07-Feb-17 12:47:13

No.
Desperation is not attractive

ymmv Tue 07-Feb-17 12:49:26

And sightly (or even very) overweight women can't get into relationships.
She can fuck off.

NuclearSwan Tue 07-Feb-17 12:56:16

Nope. She's an idiot.

NotCitrus Tue 07-Feb-17 12:57:39

Tell her it's a filter to rule out shallow fuckwit men and save your time.

SquatBetty Tue 07-Feb-17 12:58:41

Your SIL is a twat. Yes it's lovely to have a partner but anyone who reckons they can't manage without one is to be pitied frankly.

NightTerrier Tue 07-Feb-17 12:58:47

She sounds like a bit of a nob to be honest.

NotSure202 Tue 07-Feb-17 13:04:09

Nob.

Pleasedonteatchalk Tue 07-Feb-17 13:05:50

Ignore her. She's projecting her own issues onto you re both weight and men.

xStefx Tue 07-Feb-17 13:09:24

That's just her view, perhaps she cant be without a man and assumes your the same.

brasty Tue 07-Feb-17 13:13:30

No. In fact statistically the happiest people are those who choose to live alone.

Hissy Tue 07-Feb-17 13:19:53

Do all women who are attached assume single women are desperate for a man??

a LOT do, yes. Scared they will get The Single, cos apparently its contagious...

that said.... Online dating is a nightmare and even though a lot of blokes are bald and unfit, they generally expect perfection.. hmm

The ONLY thing to concern yourself with is that YOU are happy with you and happy with your life the way it is.

The answer to SIL is "I'm not looking for a partner thanks, I'm happy the way things are"

Of course you don't need a partner to have your life complete etc, but a good relationship can make life a LOT easier.

RedAndYellowStripe Tue 07-Feb-17 13:20:48

Actually, the happiest are women alone compare to women married (they also live longer).
But for men, they are happier in a relationship and live longer than their single counterparts..

I'm wondering why .......

FrozeninSummer Tue 07-Feb-17 13:55:07

No I don't think that. I'm not single now but I do remember how annoying it was when all my friends were constantly trying to find me someone.

I think it's so important to be comfortable on your own. Even if you have a partner it can't last forever. I think it's so risky to attach your entire happiness to someone else. If you're happy being single, tell her to back off. And sod making more of an effort....Being slightly overweight won't stop you finding someone if you wanted to.

PuraVida Tue 07-Feb-17 14:08:22

Considering the number of women in relationships with a range of fuckwits, cocklodgers, petulant menchildren and deceitful egotists evidenced on here and in my real life I'm inclined to believe singleness is a desireable state to be in

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now