Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think DS has eating problem

(14 Posts)
foxyloxy78 Mon 06-Feb-17 19:36:37

For the past six months he is really struggling to swallow food. He chews it until it is a paste and mush and will not swallow unless he drinks with it and then nearly vomits. He says he does not swallow as he is scared of vomiting. He is nearly five. What's wrong with him? Has anyone else experienced this? It happens with everything he eats. Boiled egg, soft chicken breast. Everything. At wits end.

Wolfiefan Mon 06-Feb-17 19:37:06

How old is he? Can you pinpoint when or why it started?

foxyloxy78 Mon 06-Feb-17 19:38:47

He is about to turn five. It happened about six months ago. Kind of just turned. He will chew and chew and won't swallow. One mouth full then drinks and of course his tummy gets full with liquid and he does not each much.

bingolittle Mon 06-Feb-17 19:42:49

Any possibility of overactive gag reflex? (Though I think that normally shows up at an earlier age.)

Any other general sensory issues?

OwlinaTree Mon 06-Feb-17 19:43:39

Has he got large tonsils? This could be stopping him swallowing easily.

foxyloxy78 Mon 06-Feb-17 19:48:50

I was thinking it could be overactive gag reflex. I think I will make a GP appointment as we are really struggling.

llangennith Mon 06-Feb-17 19:50:03

It's likely to be a physiological thing. I can't eat noodles: as a child I always thought they were worms. Of course I know that they're just noodles but I can't eat them. I can barely look at them. I haven't sought treatment as it doesn't cause me any problems. I just avoid noodles.
But your DS has to eat and there's something in his head that's telling him 'you'll choke if you eat'. You can't make him eat and he's obviously trying. But he can't. Let him know you understand and don't show your anxiety.
Find a hypnotherapist that can treat children. Or NLP. They just talk calmly and usually manage to eliminate the trigger.

foxyloxy78 Mon 06-Feb-17 19:59:17

I will do. Thanks so much for the advice. X

ConvincingLiar Mon 06-Feb-17 20:01:09

My cousin had this when a bit younger and it turned out it was a tonsils problem.

han01uk Mon 06-Feb-17 20:01:52

My daughter suffered with this after a prolonged period of anxiety. Basically she was worried about dying so wouldn't swallow in case she choked. Has he suffered with anxiety? Family upheaval? Moving house? Bereavement? Etc etc.... I don't think the GP will offer much,I doubt this is anything physical as you would have picked it up before now.

Worth covering every psychological aspect of what might be going on and talking to him. Good luck.

Wolfiefan Mon 06-Feb-17 20:02:11

Wondered if he had choked or seen someone choked and it scared him?

Penguinhugs Mon 06-Feb-17 20:12:03

I'm not sure if this is exactly the same but I did the same when I was younger and it was basically because I was lazy and couldn't be bothered to chew and eat. I didn't like eating meat as it was too much effort and so I'd chew and chew and chew until it was literally mush and hated swallowing it. Does he do the same with 'easy' foods like pasta/yoghurts/porridge? It may not be the same thing but could be part of it? I just grew out of it (except for when I can't be assed to eat properly and would rather eat ice cream now grin)

iLoveCamelCase Mon 06-Feb-17 20:32:32

Could this be emetophobia? He says he is afraid of vomiting - does he mean in that particular context or in general? Has he had any incidents of or encounters with vomiting which could have been traumatic to him (even if not necessarily seeming so to you)? I am emetophobic and can go through periods where I really struggle to swallow without chewing to the nth degree and having a lot to drink with my food, resulting in the same problem. It is purely anxiety-based and eating can become a real struggle at those times. My throat simply contracts at the point of swallowing causing me quite a lot of distress. It is a PITA tbh! Luckily it isn't very bad at the moment - for me, it usually only happens when eating out but I have had it happen at home. If not emetophobia for your DS, could there be an underlying anxiety cause - could he be worried about anything, any change in his life, anything else he has said or done which could indicate anxiety? It could be gag reflex or tonsils as others have said but just sounds SO like what I can sometimes experience, whicy is definitely down to anxiety. Hope you figure it out - it must be horrible for him and worrying for you. I would suggest a trip to the GP.

foxyloxy78 Mon 06-Feb-17 21:45:37

Thanks so much everyone. I spoke to him about it and he just said that he's worried he will vomit and that's why he won't swallow. It may be emetophobia or enlarged tonsils. I will make an appointment and sew what they GP suggests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now