Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

not to buy ANY currency in advance of trip to Iceland ...

(21 Posts)
brusselssprouts Mon 06-Feb-17 18:56:09

Posting here for traffic.

I am going to Iceland (work-related) for one night. Have been before on holiday.

AIBU not to bother ordering currency but just to use my debit card at the airport / bank machine when we arrive? Will need a small amount of cash for taxi and bus, but planning to pay everything else by card.

TeenAndTween Mon 06-Feb-17 18:57:25

You'll need a large amount. smile Things are expensive in Iceland!

Trills Mon 06-Feb-17 18:59:15

It might be that the taxis take cards

SwearyGodmother Mon 06-Feb-17 19:00:29

I think that's perfectly reasonable. Unless you order miles in advance and use all your currency I tend to find taking money out of the cashpoint much cheaper and more sensible.

Also Iceland really isn't that expensive - its cheaper than London for sure!

Indigo89 Mon 06-Feb-17 19:00:47

That's right. We've been a few times. You just withdraw from the cashpoint in the airport on arrival. There's a cashpoint right near the baggage collection belts in Kefkavik, in front of a shop.

Chloe84 Mon 06-Feb-17 19:00:51

The best rate we found for Iceland krona was at the airport, in arrivals. Glad we didn't buy in the UK. I can't remember the name of the bank/bureau though.

WaitedForGodot Mon 06-Feb-17 19:03:18

If you have time before the trip, get a Halifax Clarity Credit Card and use that for foreign cash withdrawals/purchases instead - you'll get a far better rate.

Watto1 Mon 06-Feb-17 19:04:01

I saw an interview with Simon Calder , the travel guy who always pops up on the news when there is anything travel related going on. He said that the only currencies worth buying in advance are USdollars and Euros. All other currencies are better value if you buy them once you are there.

QuinionsRainbow Mon 06-Feb-17 19:38:45

If you have time before the trip, get a Halifax Clarity Credit Card and use that for foreign cash withdrawals/purchases instead - you'll get a far better rate

Halifax Clarity is a Credit card. I've got one (and can strongly recommend it) but while there are no fees for credit purchases, I'm sure that there are for cash withdrawals.

ChuncaMunca Mon 06-Feb-17 19:40:57

Personally I rarely use cash in Iceland as they use plastic so much. On my last trip, I don't think I ever used or got out any cash at all.

But in general I usually wait and get cash out there when I travel.

lostincumbria Mon 06-Feb-17 19:50:05

*but while there are no fees for credit purchases, I'm sure that there are for cash withdrawals.

You're wring, there are no fees, however interest is charged from the day off withdrawal. This can be negated by making a payment from your bank account. Evennif you wait a few days, interest would be negligible compared to withdrawal fees on a debit card.

y0rkier0se Mon 06-Feb-17 19:52:36

I don't think we used any cash whatsoever! Pretty much everywhere take card. Definitely get it there though if you're going to need some - cheapest at the airport I think.

atheistmantis Mon 06-Feb-17 20:09:07

We took about £50 in krona and only needed it for places like museums.everywhere else was happy to have our US$ (or Euros/GBP)

QuinionsRainbow Mon 06-Feb-17 22:23:02

lostincumbria

I stand corrected! Many thanks. Looks like our cash strategy will be changing next time we venture abroad.

brusselssprouts Mon 06-Feb-17 22:24:56

Thanks everyone - feeling more confident now about rocking up with nothing but a piece of plastic between me and penury ...

Doughnutsandrainbows Mon 06-Feb-17 22:33:28

I found best rate by far was using cash point in reykjavik even with the fee on my card 0% on foreign cash withdrawals and I think only the bank's fee(rate was more like the actual exchange rate rather than the bdc) wouldn't change at airport it was poor (I went in Dec 16) but if you're just there for 1 night may just be easier to take the hit and change a bit before you go. M&S has best commission free rate when I went. My catdcwas nationwide select.

StarkintheSouth Mon 06-Feb-17 22:33:39

I went for business a couple of years ago - taxis take cards, well the one I hailed from the airport did. Cost me about £90 mind to get to my hotel- the horror!
You'll probably be ok without cash.

Doughnutsandrainbows Mon 06-Feb-17 22:34:53

Card was

Doughnutsandrainbows Mon 06-Feb-17 22:36:53

Transfers from reykjavik by coach was cheaper than taxi if it's just you... can book via resort hoppa often a code too to make cheaper

donquixotedelamancha Mon 06-Feb-17 22:38:48

@OP. Please do make sure you have a decent travel card (debit or credit) like the Halifax clarity mentioned above. There is a good summary here:
www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/travel-credit-cards#

Some cards will cost a fortune to use abroad, especially:
Halifax Debit Card
IF Debit Card
Santander Debit Card
Bank of Scotland Debit Card
Lloyds Debit Card
TSB Debit Card

Sorka Mon 06-Feb-17 23:31:26

I did that a few years ago. I was only going for a few days so thought I only needed a small amount. I went not long after the banking crisis and there were restrictions such that if I wanted to get currency in advance I would have needed to exchange much more than I wanted to.

It worked out fine, though it's so expensive over there I ended up spending more than I wanted to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now