Talk

Advanced search

Using FB parenting groups to discredit nannies?

(3 Posts)
PenguinSnot Mon 06-Feb-17 14:09:02

I joined my first Facebook parent's group a couple of weeks ago. I was told that it was a great group, friendly, and with strong links to the community and area that I live in. The first couple of days it was really helpful, but a few days ago a mother started an "anonymous" post regarding a childcare arrangement that had fallen through - reasons unknown, but clearly issues on both sides (the nanny and the employers). The future employer turned up at the nanny's child's school and accosted the child when she had no luck finding the nanny. It's clear who the nanny is even though she isn't named in that post - the mother who posted had named her on a previous post.

The "admin" of the group don't seem to mind about the reputation of the nanny - they've disabled comments, but not deleted the thread, even though several posters have pointed out there is probably more to this story than we have been told.

So - is this the norm? Or AIBU in thinking it's terrible to attempt to ruin someone's career like this? I left the group as I felt I didn't want to be part of an environment where I felt this type of behaviour was encouraged. And, there's another lovely local little group nearby.

Hopeful that this "nanny bashing" isn't an actual "thing" elsewhere.

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 06-Feb-17 14:41:37

Presumably the next employer would have asked for a reference and the previous employer would have told them the complaints she had about the nanny then.

If not, then she is being unreasonable putting it into the public domain as it may mean that people will not consider employing her in the future. If the thing she said were untrue the Nanny could have a case for libel but it is extremely expensive to bring and prove such cases.

The Admin should surely take the whole thread down if it is unproven.

NoCleanClothes Mon 06-Feb-17 15:04:36

YANBU. I was on a local Facebook group for parents and no one shared stuff like that - it was mainly positive recommendations rather than negative ones e.g. "we no longer need our lovely nanny".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now