Talk

Advanced search

to keep account details private

(47 Posts)
Aki23 Mon 06-Feb-17 11:07:04

So I had a clear out over the weekend and will be doing a car boot in May. I thought I could get rid of a few of the larger/more valuable items on Gumtree.

I'm selling a ring and earrings and have had some interest. This is a site where usually someone will collect the items avoiding postage but I have agreed to post these items as they are small, under £20, buyer pays and I can get these covered without insurance by using the free proof of postage protection. I do not use Paypal outside of eBay (and won't as at least one person had tried to scam me by using this via Gumtree - thankfully saw through it). I explained this to buyer and they confirmed they would send a cheque. That was Friday. Today they are asking for my bank details to send the money. I have not responded.

Am I being difficult? I do not know this person (probably answering my own question) but hate putting out obstacles. I would never give out my bank details anyway but am now thinking of just saying they are no longer for sale or asking for a cheque again. They could be genuine or scammers.

WWYD?

treaclesoda Mon 06-Feb-17 11:11:16

Well, on the other hand, when someone sends a cheque you are getting their full bank account details, in writing, and a copy of their signature as well. So they're not asking you for anything different to what you are asking from them, if that makes you feel any better?

You are free to not accept a bank transfer if you don't want to. Although a lot of people don't have chequebooks these days so you might end up struggling to get payment by cheque.

Thefishtankneedswater Mon 06-Feb-17 11:12:49

You could except a cheque but don't post items until cheque has cleared.

19lottie82 Mon 06-Feb-17 11:14:03

Bank transfer is perfectly safe. Whenever you issue a cheque then you're handing over these details anyway.
But if you don't want to accept it that's your prerogative.

ImperialBlether Mon 06-Feb-17 11:15:47

They can't do anything with your bank details if you're just sending the sort code and account number. Those can be found on any cheque you send. You're asking them to send you a cheque - those details are on their cheque.

Aki23 Mon 06-Feb-17 11:16:34

Hmm interesting perspective that I hadn't considered. I think its because Ive seen scams on there before that Im concerned. Will ponder and may well go for the bank transfer - its certainly quicker.

Thanks for your thoughts

xStefx Mon 06-Feb-17 11:17:03

your getting mixed up with card details and bank details, bank details are perfectly safe to send over.

Sonders Mon 06-Feb-17 11:17:14

The buyer isn't asking for any more details than they would get from a cheque. If you're not comfortable with PayPal (which is designed exactly for the scenario), maybe check one of the mobile payment services instead?

user892 Mon 06-Feb-17 11:17:48

Sortcode and account number is 100% safe to give out. It's not dodgy at all. Nobody can access your account with these details alone.

BewtySkoolDropowt Mon 06-Feb-17 11:20:19

Bank transfer is better. A cheque can be cancelled.

Chloe84 Mon 06-Feb-17 11:22:36

I can get these covered without insurance by using the free proof of postage protection

Not sure about Gumtree but eBay doesn't accept proof of postage. I got hammered once as I got PoP but eBay wanted recorded delivery tracking number.

NarkyMcDinkyChops Mon 06-Feb-17 11:24:44

Nobody can do anything with your bank details except GIVE you money. Asking for cheques is bizarre, firstly who still uses cheques? and secondly you'd have to wait until the cheque clears before you can send out goods.

Paypal or bank transfer are far more sensible than cheques. You sound overly scared of scams, perhaps selling is not for you?

Aki23 Mon 06-Feb-17 11:25:57

Chloe84 - shock

The only time I needed to use the POP Royal Mail refunded me - they do (or certainly did it) up to the cost for a first class stamp x 100
Anything above that I usually send insured or at buyers risk

I feel more comfortable now people have confirmed bank details are ok so will email the buyer

SandyGEE12 Mon 06-Feb-17 11:35:35

Please don't send your bank details. They cannot take money, but can use for identity fraud. Please see here: www.actionfraud.police.uk/support-and-prevention/protect-yourself-from-fraud

NarkyMcDinkyChops Mon 06-Feb-17 11:38:21

No, they can't.

Aki23 Mon 06-Feb-17 11:40:09

Sandy - this was what was worrying me rather than the money being taken.

Olympiathequeen Mon 06-Feb-17 11:40:45

I do PayPal as it's the safest way, but bank transfer is also safe. The on,y details are name, account number and sort code and these are printed on a cheque anyway.

Make absolutely sure they put the right numbers in as the bank won't refund if it goes to someone else's account.

treaclesoda Mon 06-Feb-17 11:44:39

Whilst identity fraud is clearly a legitimate concern, you have this person's name and address, whilst presumably they only have your name? It's really no riskier than any other way of transferring money.

specialsubject Mon 06-Feb-17 11:45:56

sort code and account number are fine.

banks ask for things such as date of birth, address and access codes (not PIN, usually digits from an agreed six digit code) for security clearance. If you don't give those out you are fine.

user892 Mon 06-Feb-17 11:47:21

Identity fraud cannot be committed with a sort code and account number alone.

SandyGEE12 Mon 06-Feb-17 11:47:32

The worry with identity fraud is if they have been able to establish other details about you. This can be done with with your email/ address etc, do they have your address as they were going to send a cheque? This person may be fine, but is it worth the risk?

Aki23 Mon 06-Feb-17 11:49:49

Yes they do have my address - eek, they also have my name

user892 Mon 06-Feb-17 11:50:19

I do not use Paypal outside of eBay (and won't as at least one person had tried to scam me by using this via Gumtree - thankfully saw through it

What happened to make you think it was a scam?

NarkyMcDinkyChops Mon 06-Feb-17 11:51:19

So does any number of other people. Anyone you've sent a cheque to, anyone you have direct debits or standing orders with.
It's fine and normal to give bank details.

treaclesoda Mon 06-Feb-17 11:51:39

I see what you mean but the person sending the cheque could equally say that they don't want to send a cheque because the OP will then have his address and bank account details. The OP is equally as likely to be a scammer as he is. (In theory of course! I'm not actually saying that the OP is a scammer blush)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now