Talk

Advanced search

To ask you for career change ideas?

(7 Posts)
Makeupgeek Mon 06-Feb-17 10:46:56

I have been a makeup artist working on a makeup counter since I was 21. Before that I did A-Levels and then a makeup nvq while working in retail. I am now 34 and just had my first little one. I am due to go back to work in September but the problem is I would have to work weekends. This is not sustainable in the long run as when little one goes to school I do not want to hardly see them, they would be at school all week and I would be working at weekends. So I am spending my maternity leave researching a career change. The thing is I love my job, I have searched other part time jobs in the same industry (mine is full time) and they all include weekend working, I guess it is just the nature of the work. My boss has agreed to part time if I come back. part time would include working Fridays Saturdays and Sundays, so part time seems to be worse in this industry and it includes both days at the weekend. Where as full time I occasionally get one of the weekend days off. I am trying to think of something else to do, but I want something that I will enjoy. I have thought of going back to college and taking an nvq in nails, but I hate feet sad and I'm sure even if self employed it could involve evenings and weekends. What do people do in the beauty industry or in retail for that matter once they have kids?

Tudorblue Mon 06-Feb-17 11:34:37

Could you maybe teach at a college? On a beauty course?

Makeupgeek Mon 06-Feb-17 11:43:05

I am only qualified in nvq cosmetic makeup/media makeup/theatrical so would not be able to teach general beauty. I could ask to volunteer on the makeup course though and enquiry how to become a teacher, good idea thank you! I imagine it might be quiet competitive though so if anyone has any other ideas as well, the more the better!

PJBanana Mon 06-Feb-17 12:11:40

Could you look into going freelance? Do you ever do makeup for events/weddings? I know that this would still involve some weekend work but you'd have more freedom to pick and choose.

Makeupgeek Mon 06-Feb-17 12:57:21

I have thought about that but not sure if I could drum up enough business to pay the bills, I might have to carry on my job at the same time. It could be worth a try though and then if I got busy I could leave my day job. I would still have to work weekends but maybe not every weekend unless I was really busy.

TopangaD Mon 06-Feb-17 20:21:43

Def look to freelance.. see if you can build a clientele. Nail course a good idea or look at film tv. Again long hours and weekends but less ridged than retail.
Blow dry and make up bars popping up all over either set one up with other artists / hairdresser or get into one and select your hours.
Look into qualifications to teach /lecture.. if you from 'teaching brand 'a brand like UD, mac, Bobbi be a good kick off.
A few freelancers I know have held workshop teaching evenings for ladies ( requires a good kit to deliver ) but are workshops for groups of women with wine on bridal, contour, day to night etc. if demand in your area could charge £10-30 each
Good luck

Puffedsleevedress Mon 06-Feb-17 21:07:02

I was also going to suggest teaching. To teach in a college you normally need a minimum of a level 3 qualification in the subject you want to teach. Lots of colleges offer qualifications in a stage/theatrical make up etc so you would be ideal for this. The fact that you have work experience is also a huge bonus and this makes you much more employable than someone who without relevant experience. The fact that you aren't qualified in general beauty shouldn't make any difference. In reality, once you are employed by a college you will find yourself turning your hand to many things, including things you aren't qualified in! I've spent years working in colleges so PM me if you need more info/to chat.
One thing I would say is that teaching is fundamentally about people - you need to like working with people, motivating them, guiding and supporting them and feel confident to deal with challenging situations. People often enter teaching because they enjoy the subject when really, they should do it because they enjoy working with people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now