Talk

Advanced search

To not buy DS(2) Birthday Gifts?

(34 Posts)
TiredAndRavenous Mon 06-Feb-17 09:43:22

It's my DS birthday soon and will be 2.

He got absolutely spoilt at Christmas and won't need anything until he's 15 I imagine 😂

Would it be acceptable to buy a few small token gifts and just spend the remainder of the money on nice days out with him. OH has booked a few days off to spend time with us smile

Trifleorbust Mon 06-Feb-17 09:46:49

Yes, fine, he's only 2. He won't notice.

Fitzsimmons Mon 06-Feb-17 09:48:01

I did something similar for my daughter who was 1 in January and already had a ridiculous amount of presents at Christmas. He won't know and will enjoy the days out.

JobsAGoodun Mon 06-Feb-17 09:48:18

Of course! He'll be happy with any small thing.and days out are much nicer anyway

Alexthekid Mon 06-Feb-17 09:48:29

I did this. He'll get gifts from other people so won't go totally present free.
I didn't see the point of buying more toys for the sake of it so we had a few days out instead.
Totally acceptable and sensible!!

crocodarl Mon 06-Feb-17 09:48:51

Yes. Do it. This is the last year you'll get away with it.

Lariflete Mon 06-Feb-17 09:50:43

We did this at Christmas as well. We still ended up putting toys in the attic to rotate out over the year as they got so much from family.

SpookyPotato Mon 06-Feb-17 09:50:52

Definitely do it! They don't have a clue. I plan to do the same for DS's 3rd birthday too as he doesn't get the concept of dates and getting presents.

Floggingmolly Mon 06-Feb-17 09:51:02

Yes, of course.

Floggingmolly Mon 06-Feb-17 09:51:26

You're not bu, I mean.

Frazzled2207 Mon 06-Feb-17 09:56:26

Yanbu. Get him one or two things to open (he'll get more from family surely?) and do a nice family day out.

Robstersgirl Mon 06-Feb-17 09:58:05

You wouldn't think twice about getting a teen day out or concert tickets as a gift. YANBU. I took my lot to Disneyland Paris the Christmas before last and they just had token gifts that year. They already had everything they wanted and I asked them beforehand what they would prefer, gifts or a holiday. They will remember the trip forever but honestly who remembers a plastic xylophone in years to come.

Rosa Mon 06-Feb-17 10:05:37

Give him a box with balloons in it wraped in newspaper .... He wil love it !

MumW Mon 06-Feb-17 10:09:08

You are being perfectly sensible. At 2 he'll be happier pulling the paper off a token gift and a visit to the playbarn than a huge expensive gift.

MommaGee Mon 06-Feb-17 10:12:45

Absolutely. Take a camera, buy a nice album and make some memories. DS will be 2 June, if I hadn't already got his presents (342 sale Christmas) wed be doing similar
He has so much stuff I may do this til he's 18!

NancyDonahue Mon 06-Feb-17 10:20:29

YANBU.

Enjoy your family time.

Maria1001 Mon 06-Feb-17 10:22:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TiredAndRavenous Mon 06-Feb-17 10:29:45

Wow thanks Maria :s

TiredAndRavenous Mon 06-Feb-17 10:33:49

Thank you everyone, the grandparents were making us feel guilty, he's all their first grandchild, all banging on about needing to spoil them as their only young once! 😓 yes I agree to some extent, but he literally has everything, and my house looks like a daycare!

I love the idea about the balloons, he will love that tyvm x

Also the photo albums idea is sweet, we have a giant general one for his 21st birthday, but a separate occasion one may be nice 👍🏻

MommaGee Mon 06-Feb-17 10:55:35

Grandparents can spoil him with toys, you can spoil him with memories x

MommaGee Mon 06-Feb-17 11:01:04

I also keep all tickets etc (when I remember) and put them into an album do the same for all mine cos I can't throw them away

fourandnomore Mon 06-Feb-17 11:10:22

It's a great idea. Others can spoil him with toys and material items by the sound of it, you can do the fun stuff together as a family.

TiredAndRavenous Mon 06-Feb-17 12:35:10

Oh Gee that's cute, I saw someone on Pinterest use a box frame and cut a slot in the top & just popped all tickets in, so they were on display smile

Thank you x (I'm going to become a hoarder)

Jollybee Mon 06-Feb-17 12:58:08

I used to ask the grandparents for money and bought annual tickets to a children's farm with an indoor softplay area. Was a present we could use all year round even if we only went for an hour or two.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 06-Feb-17 13:05:33

Definitely fine. Children would must sooner have a load of tat out the pound land to open rather than a few big presents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now