Talk

Advanced search

To drive with 6 week old on her own in back?

(91 Posts)
Melaniaspilatesinstructor Sun 05-Feb-17 21:52:41

I'm confused about the rules?
Up until now, DH has sat on back seat with Dd in her car seat next to him but he's at work tomorrow and I need to go to Drs.
Is it okay to drive her whilst she's on her own in the back?

CaurnieBred Sun 05-Feb-17 21:53:24

Yes

KP86 Sun 05-Feb-17 21:53:42

Yes. She will be fine. I promise. Nobody has ever been in the back with DS unless both front seats were already full.

This question is cute.

HarryDresdensLeatherDuster Sun 05-Feb-17 21:53:45

Yes of course it is!

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 05-Feb-17 21:54:11

Oh bless you. Absolutely fine.

Coffeeisnecessary Sun 05-Feb-17 21:54:20

Of course it's ok! I never sat in the back with mine. As long as she is strapped in it's fine.

HandbagFan Sun 05-Feb-17 21:54:26

Absolutely fine, and exactly how every parent drives every day! flowers

fleur34 Sun 05-Feb-17 21:54:33

Yes of course!

Mrsglitterfairy Sun 05-Feb-17 21:54:51

Course it is. We drove DS home from the hospital and he was on his own in the back. DH did drive at a snails pace though. Honestly, don't worry about her, she'll be absolutely fine

DontTouchTheMoustache Sun 05-Feb-17 21:55:11

As a single mother I'd have been funked if you couldn't...grin

Blinkyblink Sun 05-Feb-17 21:55:53

Made me smile.

Yes. It would have been fine on the day she was born!

meltownmary Sun 05-Feb-17 21:56:17

Lovely and reassuring replies to OP. You are wonderful out there.

MirandaWest Sun 05-Feb-17 21:56:37

There aren't any rules about babies having someone next to them in the car. She'll be fine smile

Ewock Sun 05-Feb-17 21:57:02

Yes it is fine to do that. It is so hard when babies are young to know what is best to do. When we went on long journeys one of us always sat in the back with ds. But now with have dd as well so only them in the back.

BillyButtfuck Sun 05-Feb-17 21:57:53

Aww that's a lovely post.
We have twins so they were alone (together - but no adult iyswim) from day one as I couldn't fit my big bum between the two isofix bases)

Jenniferb21 Sun 05-Feb-17 21:57:55

Get one of those car mirrors (eBay is best they attach to the headrest) so you can see your darling in your mirror.

But yes she'll be absolutely fine. X

missscarlettinthefutilityroom Sun 05-Feb-17 21:58:31

It's legal.

However, car seats aren't a good position for young babies for long periods. You know you can put a rear facing seat in the front with the airbag off, so you can see immediately if she has any breathing trouble?

With my first, I put him in the back, but I was constantly looking in the mirrors, and anxious, pulling over to check him, and it was very stressful.

With my second, after the recent research about apnoea in car seats, I put the baby in the front seat, and am a much safer driver as a result.

missscarlettinthefutilityroom Sun 05-Feb-17 22:03:23

Unless you have a lie flat car seat? In which case the back is safer, and fine.

www.nhs.uk/news/2016/10October/Pages/Warning-over-babies-sleeping-in-car-seats.aspx

I think it's hard to keep a 'watchful eye' on babies in the back.

Obviously, if you can't deactivate the airbag, then the back is the safest way to travel in that car. But when I risk assessed it for us, I feel the front with airbag off is safest.

Bluebellevergreen Sun 05-Feb-17 22:11:35

Oh! Can I ask here if OP doesnt mind?
We have to buy a new car as the one we have it will be a bit of a pain to get baby in and out as only 3 doors.
When we drive home from hospital (if this baby ever decides to come) I am worried I wont be able to sit at the back (tricky if sore, I have PGP and or if I have an EMCS for example.
We have one of those mirrors.
Can we drive with the new born on his own at the back and us at the front?
25 minutes drive, quite long.
Thank you

missscarlettinthefutilityroom Sun 05-Feb-17 22:13:49

You can. And in all likelihood, all will be fine.

But unless it was a lie flat seat, I wouldn't, if I had another option. If you don't have an option, then it will likely be fine.

GoesDownLikeACupOfColdSick Sun 05-Feb-17 22:14:06

You can get a mirror that straps on to the back seat so you can see the baby in your rear view mirror - I got mine from amazon.

You need to make sure the baby's head doesn't flop forwards when they fall asleep, so it's a good idea to be able to see him/her. Otherwise totally fine!

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 05-Feb-17 22:14:13

Bluebell that's almost identical to our journey home with DD. It was fine.

GoesDownLikeACupOfColdSick Sun 05-Feb-17 22:14:48

Something like this:

www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/munchkin-baby-insight-mega-mirror-d3230.html?gclid=CImDn7X9-dECFWEo0wod69EOQg

FearTheLiving Sun 05-Feb-17 22:15:12

This is the strangest thread grin

LittleBearPad Sun 05-Feb-17 22:16:27

Of course, it's completely fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now