Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think it should be law to use car headlights in fog

(26 Posts)
2010Aussie Sun 05-Feb-17 18:22:58

Thick fog this morning. Fifteen mile journey through town and country. Lost count of the number of cars driving without any lights at all and suddenly appearing out of nowhere in the gloom. Dangerous for pedestrians in urban areas as well.

Isn't this just as dangerous as speeding? Are the police able to stop cars without lights or is it too difficult to enforce?

AIBU to get really annoyed by this?

Pettywoman Sun 05-Feb-17 18:28:04

I don't know which is worse, no lights or fog lights with no fog. There seems to be a lot of that around here.

araiwa Sun 05-Feb-17 18:39:20

how would the police catch them?

LIZS Sun 05-Feb-17 18:41:57

Part of the problem is reliance on automated lights. They don't always kick in if the fog is in daylight. With my car you have to manually switch on headlights to be able to select fog lights.

dudsville Sun 05-Feb-17 18:42:11

It is law. Something like if visibility is less than 100ft you're required to use them. It's also law not to turn them off when you come out of the fog.

butterfly990 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:10:00

I only recently learnt that it is better on unlit roads not to use full beam in fog.

Notapodling Sun 05-Feb-17 19:16:07

I thought it was law. Could be wrong though

BlahBlahBlahEtc Sun 05-Feb-17 19:21:05

Not all cars come with fog lights. I discovered this when car shopping and regularly saw new cars with fog lights as an optional extra :/

TeenAndTween Sun 05-Feb-17 19:26:10

It is the law, as in it's in the Highway Code.

Bailey101 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:26:39

We had fog a few days ago and there's still people driving around with fog lights angry

Surely they must be able to tell the difference between headlights and fog lights!

Mrsmorton Sun 05-Feb-17 19:30:25

Amazing how quickly people can turn their fog lights on but seemingly forget how to turn them off!

savagehk Sun 05-Feb-17 19:33:17

Rule 226

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

Rule 236

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 05-Feb-17 19:57:56

The number of silver cars that have no foglights on hmm (I drive a silver car so I know they throw on the Invisibilty Cloaks in fog.)

Ginmakesitallok Sun 05-Feb-17 20:03:18

Slightly derailing the thread. DP was driving behind me the other evening. He has a seat ibiza. He has these extra lights under his headlights- which I'd always assumed were fog lights. Every time he slowed down one of the lights would come on, coming round a roundabout both lights came on. They went off again when he sped up a bit. What are they for? Is it a dodgy connection? He says his fog lights aren't on.

liquidrevolution Sun 05-Feb-17 20:04:49

I dont have fog lights on my car.

oblada Sun 05-Feb-17 20:07:22

What rly annoys me is ppl driving with fog lights on when there is no bleeding fog!!! That seems v common!! And then there will be people driving with no light on when it's pissing down with rain and no-one can see a thing.... Or people keeping high beams on when crossing others (bloody dangerous)...the list is long!

Mungobungo Sun 05-Feb-17 20:08:34

Slightly derailing the thread. DP was driving behind me the other evening. He has a seat ibiza. He has these extra lights under his headlights- which I'd always assumed were fog lights. Every time he slowed down one of the lights would come on, coming round a roundabout both lights came on. They went off again when he sped up a bit. What are they for? Is it a dodgy connection? He says his fog lights aren't on.

Get his lights checked out. The little spotlights under headlights are dog lights. Sounds like a dodgy connection.

Ameliablue Sun 05-Feb-17 20:08:41

Gin, some cars have cornering lights which are supposed to improve visibility going round bends, could it be that?

wasonthelist Sun 05-Feb-17 20:21:18

Some Seats, Audis, VWs and Slodas (they are basically all the same cars under the skin) light up a single foglight when turning corners - they light the one that corresponds with the direction of travel. It's a cheapo version of the cornering lights which are separate on more upmarket cars. Doesn't anyone read the manual for their car anymore?

wasonthelist Sun 05-Feb-17 20:22:16

They only operate at slow speeds btw

Sugarlightly Sun 05-Feb-17 20:31:40

Seat Ibiza - will turn on one fog light in the direction you're turning to improve visibility. It's not a dodgy connection just a really weird way of improving visibility.

Fannyfannakerpants Sun 05-Feb-17 20:36:50

It is law but I think we need more education. It drives me mad. If you are driving on a grey road in grey fog in a white, silver or grey car, put some lights on!
I also came across someone riding a white horse in visibility of about 20m. Stupid, stupid thing to do!
You may pick up that I get quite cross about this.

Jojobythesea Sun 05-Feb-17 20:47:47

Not full beam in fog. It just reflects but as op said headlights. It is amazing how many people don't put lights on in fog, dark conditions, heavy rain... angry

TheNaze73 Sun 05-Feb-17 20:49:41

I think the pillocks that use fog lights, when they're not needed are more of an issue

emwithme Sun 05-Feb-17 20:50:13

We also need to tell people that the sidelight on one side and the foglight on the opposite side does not average out to being two main beams person behind me on the commute home on Friday

However, if we could mostly deal with people who think that it's OK to drive at a constant 40 mph when the speed limit goes 50 - 40 - 30 - 40 - 50 (etc) I would have far less rage when arriving at work, or at home, daily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now