Talk

Advanced search

Throwing photos away

(4 Posts)
bummedmummy Sun 05-Feb-17 15:21:00

I'm poised to throw out a bunch of old photos, but I'm hesitating because I might regret it at some point. I come across them every time I'm clearing stuff out at my mum's house, and my reaction is always the same: taken them out, have a look through, have a bit of a chuckle at times gone by and then start feeling really sad. To be honest they remind me of happier, more easy-going times when my family of origin was really close and we used to have a massive laugh. Times have changed so much, people have moved, my mum has dementia, friendships have been lost and looking at them now just leaves me with a feeling of deep sadness and a sense that I'd like to, but can't, travel back in time to be with those people in that way again.

I never decide what to do with them and they just hang around year after year. I just get so sad and unsettled when I look at them but on the other hand these are the only photos of this period of time that I have. And I looked so cute (and young!!!) in them...

Any advice?

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 05-Feb-17 15:22:28

Could you get them scanned before getting rid and then you wouldn't have the 'stuff' but could look at them if the mood took you in the future.

Kittykatmacbill Sun 05-Feb-17 15:23:25

For goodness sake keep them, they are the link to the past put them in a nice box or album whatever, don't think about them, a couple of years down the line you may well feel different!

OneWildNightWithJBJ Sun 05-Feb-17 15:24:05

I couldn't throw them away, although I understand why they're making you sad. Once they're gone you'll never be able to get them back... Although it's hard right now, one day you may well want to look through them again.

Can you just put them in a box and hide them away where you won't keep coming across them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now