Talk

Advanced search

Three piece swimming costume

(51 Posts)
creampie Sun 05-Feb-17 15:17:08

Has anyone seen the three piece swimsuit that m&s are doing? I get that this is supposed to allow women who need to cover up for religious or other reasons to go swimming, but AIBU to think swimming pools are going to go a bit nuts over this?

I tried to wear a pair of swim shorts over my swimming costume once, and the life guard refused to let me in! Would your local pool allow you to wear this?

Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Sun 05-Feb-17 15:19:28

I doubt swimming pools will be bothered. It's a swimming costume. biscuit

OfstedAintEverything Sun 05-Feb-17 15:22:27

Last years' news, dear.
It's a burkini.
I'm not a muslim but I sunburn easily so I have one: It's liberating.
And I wore it to the swimming pool.
It's made of swimsuit material.

I fail to see your problem with it.

FV45 Sun 05-Feb-17 15:22:44

Why on this earth were you refused entry with swim shorts?

SavoyCabbage Sun 05-Feb-17 15:22:50

Where I live they have been worn in swimming pools for a decade. More actually as my dd is 13 so 12 years ago is when I started taking her to the pool. As ever M&S is behind the times!grin

GladAllOver Sun 05-Feb-17 15:24:26

I don't see any reason why a women shouldn't wear it in a pool. It's not going to harm anyone.
I would however feel a little sad that someone feels the need to hide their body like this. One of the joys of swimming is feeling the water running over your body. Less is more.

creampie Sun 05-Feb-17 15:24:43

My pool won't allow anything other than traditional swim wear for "hygiene reasons". No wet suits, no t shirts, no rash vests, no swim shorts, etc. Our life guard would have a fit if I tried to sneak this past him! Is it just our pool then?

TinklyLittleLaugh Sun 05-Feb-17 15:27:50

Yep it 's just your pool. Likely they'd face a racial discrimination charge if anyone were to challenge them.

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Sun 05-Feb-17 15:28:26

There was a woman who used to wear one of these at my local pool over ten years ago. (admittedly I lived in a big city) I've always worn swimming shorts over my costume, never got blinked at. I'd refuse to swim anywhere if I couldn't as I have a reason for wearing them

On a side note when you said three piece I had a mental image of two clam shells and a fish tail grin clearly been watching too many fantasy movies grin

angelikacpickles Sun 05-Feb-17 15:29:02

Does your pool make men wear Speedo-style trunks then OP?

Sirzy Sun 05-Feb-17 15:29:14

It hasn't got any very loose floaty parts so I can't see why it would be a problem

SoupDragon Sun 05-Feb-17 15:31:25

AIBU to think swimming pools are going to go a bit nuts over this?

Only if they are arses.

mummytime Sun 05-Feb-17 15:32:25

If you are in the U.K. Then it does sound like it's just your pool. And that sometime they are going to get into trouble over it. One of my local pools have been running single sex sessions for 10+ years to try to lure different cultural groups into using the pool. And my teenage and at present very body conscious DD has been debating using one (as have I a bit).
Normal swimming costumes aren't especially freeing in my opinion, often uncomfortable and a bit body shaming.

creampie Sun 05-Feb-17 15:36:19

Yes, men have to wear tight swim suit bottoms, and aren't allowed the Bermuda short type ones. Actually that alone is probably a good enough reason to start looking for a different pool....grin

BikeRunSki Sun 05-Feb-17 15:44:41

I often see women in these types of costumes in my local pool.

TheMaddHugger Sun 05-Feb-17 15:46:22

where the heck do you live shock ??

TheMaddHugger Sun 05-Feb-17 15:47:19

im not muslim, but i would wear one. i burn very easily

HappyFlappy Sun 05-Feb-17 15:47:27

That looks lovely!

(<scrambles to get onto M&S website, forgetting that these things look lovely on 6' tall ladies who are size 8, and maybe not quite so lovely on 5'2" ladies who are size 14/16>) grin

jerryfudd Sun 05-Feb-17 15:50:05

Our pool allows them, in fact they sell them in the reception area

FV45 Sun 05-Feb-17 15:53:02

Would I be allowed to wear my boy short swimsuit? It's not traditional.

helpfulperson Sun 05-Feb-17 15:53:19

a lot of continental pools don't allow anything other than tight costumes. Men have to wear speedos. I think it is getting less but certainly france used to be very strick.

Lucked Sun 05-Feb-17 15:53:28

Are you in the U.K. OP? very few British men will wear speedos

Bluntness100 Sun 05-Feb-17 15:53:31

Your pool has some weird policies. Men can only wear speedos? 🙄🙄🙄

SusieOwl4 Sun 05-Feb-17 15:54:41

Was there not a picture of nigella Lawson or someone else equally famous wearing one on a beach once? I don't expect she would be turned away . As long as its a swim suit I don't see the problem.

haveacupoftea Sun 05-Feb-17 15:56:20

I think its great that M&S are offering these. I wish I had one of the old fashioned Victorian swimsuits that covers arse and thighs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now