Talk

Advanced search

To be really quite annoyed with my MP?

(38 Posts)
CruCru Sun 05-Feb-17 15:09:19

This morning, I saw Emily Thornberry on the Andrew Marr show. He pointed out that 75% of her constituency voted Remain (she'd voted in favour of the Article 50 bill) and she said that she is a "national politician".

AIBU to find this infuriating? The nation didn't elect her, Islington South did.

glenthebattleostrich Sun 05-Feb-17 15:11:13

Well it's balanced by my MP who voted against the bill despite 66%of her constituency voting leave.

TheProblemOfSusan Sun 05-Feb-17 15:11:44

Yanbu. I'm pretty pissed off with her behaviour, I thought she was one of the OK ones.

I'm extremely impressed with mine, David Lammy. We're moving out of London soon and going to a Tory constituency and Lammy is the only thing I'm going to miss about this area. also there's a macdonalds really close to my house

absolutelynotfabulous Sun 05-Feb-17 15:12:39

I caught half of the interview, and I think Marr was right to question her motives.

Yanbu. Do you have a way of contacting her to express your opinion?

CruCru Sun 05-Feb-17 15:14:18

I think what's annoyed me isn't so much that she voted in line with the whip (although that isn't something I'm pleased about). It's more the attitude that it doesn't matter what she does, Labour will always get elected in my constituency.

CruCru Sun 05-Feb-17 15:14:49

I've emailed her twice and written to her once. I might write to her again.

PhoenixJasmine Sun 05-Feb-17 15:16:40

But Islington South didn't elect her on an anti-Brexit-at-all-costs platform, did it? They elected her to make the decisions on their behalf she thought were right in each situation.

Did you write to her asking her to vote against the bill? What was her reply?

absolutelynotfabulous Sun 05-Feb-17 15:17:30

And she hasn't responded? Not even via an assistant?

PhoenixJasmine Sun 05-Feb-17 15:18:46

Cross post smile

My DP wrote to his MP asking her to vote against the bill. Will have to check if he got a reply yet.

CruCru Sun 05-Feb-17 15:23:21

I got a standard (long) reply from her via email. I can't copy and paste the text so I think it is embedded.

lokisglowstickofdestiny1 Sun 05-Feb-17 15:25:10

You can be annoyed but MP's are not delegates. They represent their constituency, the party and the nation - they can vote against what their constituents may like.
You can always exercise your right to vote for another candidate at the next GE.

lokisglowstickofdestiny1 Sun 05-Feb-17 15:26:55

Sorry, didn't see that she isn't your MP, point still stands though - MP's are not delegates.

Aderyn2016 Sun 05-Feb-17 15:30:33

Personally I believe that MPs should vote according to their constituent's wishes. Far too many forget that they were elected to represent us, not dictate to us. I am insulted by the notion that an MP thinks they know better than me what my true wishes are.

I save my anger for Diane Abbot who refused to representthe electorate at all.

CruCru Sun 05-Feb-17 15:30:47

She is my MP.

I'll vote Lib Dem at the next election.

KateDaniels2 Sun 05-Feb-17 15:34:15

My area has aleays been labour. It isnt now. Unfortunately its tory, but the MP (i have had several dealings with her) is excellent.

The people who i know, that voted tory, did so to get labour out. They were the only chance to get our shit MP out. So just because an area has aleays been labour, doesnt mean it has to be. But its not easy to vote for a party you dont want.

TinklyLittleLaugh Sun 05-Feb-17 15:40:12

MPs are not delegates; they are elected to represent us. I'm appalled by the whole vote. Everyone knows Brexit is going to be a disaster. MPs are just voting to keep their jobs and to hell with the rest of us.

TreeTop7 Sun 05-Feb-17 15:45:29

Diane Abbott is an appalling piece of work.

Re OP. I think that Emily Thornberry should have represented her 75pc when she voted, especially having been a Remainer herself, but she strikes me as very ambitious so I'm unsurprised. I suppose there was also concern about the "metropolitan London elite" voting against the will of the UK (this argument conveniently ignores the fact that other places like Manchester, Cardiff, Oxford, Aberdeen, Edinburgh etc were Remain).

TinklyLittleLaugh Sun 05-Feb-17 15:46:25

Dianne Abott has behaved like an absolute weasel. But it's not surprising; she's someone who has never really had the courage of her convictions. In fact most of the labour front bench must have splinters in their arses from sitting on the fence over this. Andy Burnham is buggering off to run Manchester, the ultimate opt out. He will no doubt reappear when labour have finally pulled themselves together and he can be sure of backing the winning side.

EssentialHummus Sun 05-Feb-17 15:49:20

Another one here deeply unimpressed with Abbott.

My MP (Vicky Foxcroft) votes against the whip in line with our Remain borough. In general though she is a brilliant MP, we're lucky to have her.

EssentialHummus Sun 05-Feb-17 15:49:45

*voted

Goingtobeawesome Sun 05-Feb-17 15:50:33

Wasn't she the one who posted about the white van man with his Union Jack 🇬🇧 .?

CruCru Sun 05-Feb-17 15:53:47

Yes. She got a bollocking off Ed Miliband.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 05-Feb-17 15:55:31

My MP is Kate Hoey. She has always been a rampant Brexiteer, despite around 80% of her constituency voting remain. I'm going back to the Lib Dems next time.

absolutelynotfabulous Sun 05-Feb-17 15:55:48

Yes! It was!

notangelinajolie Sun 05-Feb-17 16:30:10

I am a Labour voter and I live in a very safe seat Conservative constituency who voted Remain. Our MP is a Brexiteer who openly compaigned for Brexit. I voted to leave too so I'm not exactly crying myself to sleep over his vote. What does make me slighty anxious is the next GE and the fact that his loyal army of voters might defect to the Lib Dems hmm.They are the only realistic alternative in this area. As a Labour voter it pains me to say this but I hope he wins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now