Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think double barrel surnames all sound stupid and there's just no need for it?

(477 Posts)
ExpectoPatronummmm Sun 05-Feb-17 11:31:37

I realise I will offend all you double barrellers
But why?
Do you realise it's a mouthful and makes you look like you're trying to be some kind of lord or lady?
What's wrong with one surname?
When I marry my OH i'lol take his surname. I won't just add it to mine and cause an unnecessarly long name to have to say/write/spell.

I think they make you look like a pleb.

That's nice dearie

trinity0097 Sun 05-Feb-17 11:44:19

Someone in my mother's past decided to double barrel the same name, so something like Smith-Smith - it's a right pain with the bank as you have to give your mothers maiden name as security often and they think you are repeating the name.

AndNowItsSeven Sun 05-Feb-17 11:45:48

Yanbu it's pretentious and unnecessary.

OwlinaTree Sun 05-Feb-17 11:47:26

And this effects you how?

OwlinaTree Sun 05-Feb-17 11:48:28

Unless you are a school teacher and have to fit it on a tray!!

Lostmyemailaddress Sun 05-Feb-17 11:48:37

my kids have double barrelled surnames as I don't intend on marrying their df. He wanted them to have his surname which was fair enough but I also wanted them to have mine so double barrelling them both was a compromise.

FearTheLiving Sun 05-Feb-17 11:48:51

Any future kids will either have my surname or double. Not just his as I won't be taking his name when I get married.

Lessthanaballpark Sun 05-Feb-17 11:49:48

That's the whole of Spain told then!

ilovesooty Sun 05-Feb-17 11:50:39

Thanks for sharing that interesting opinion with us. People will doubtless have their own reasons, none of which I imagine affect you.

Gwenhwyfar Sun 05-Feb-17 11:50:50

"my kids have double barrelled surnames as I don't intend on marrying their df. He wanted them to have his surname which was fair enough but I also wanted them to have mine so double barrelling them both was a compromise."

That's a very good reason for double-barrelling.
I think a lot of the issue comes from the reputation for double-barrelled names to be posh, bu if you're Smith-Jones, it's really not the same as being Parker-Bowles or something.

hackmum Sun 05-Feb-17 11:51:49

It's "double-barrelled", not "double-barrel".

Why do people keep leaving the "ed" off the end of words?

Bluntness100 Sun 05-Feb-17 11:51:55

Why are you focused on this? Who gives a shit, really. 🙄

MiladyThesaurus Sun 05-Feb-17 11:52:06

Presumably it depends on the names though.

My surname would be hideous double barrelled with DH's.

schokolade Sun 05-Feb-17 11:52:23

Well equally there's no need to take your husband's name OP. It makes you look spineless and as if you're trying to be someone from the 1800s.

HighbrowEyebrow Sun 05-Feb-17 11:53:41

Double-barreled names are now more likely to indicate unmarried parents than anything else.

I think writing people off as 'plebs' because of their surname is very silly.

RainbowsAndUnicorn Sun 05-Feb-17 11:54:54

I think it's silly too, either take his name or keep your own.

With children it just makes me think that the dad had no desire to marry.

WorraLiberty Sun 05-Feb-17 11:54:56

That's nice for you OP.

Just as long as you're still happy if you divorce and end up having a different surname to the kids you're raising.

Lessthanaballpark Sun 05-Feb-17 11:55:12

grin shokolade said what I wanted to say but was too polite to!!

Bambambini Sun 05-Feb-17 11:55:13

I used to think like that but i got married 20 yrs ago and came from a little wc town. I was sparky about just being expected to take the husbands name but didn't want to double barell. Now i've thought about it - it makes a lot of sense and allows any kids to have bith parents names. What those kids then do with naming their own kids - i'm not sure.

Crankycunt Sun 05-Feb-17 11:56:16

I'm going to have a double barrelled surname when I get married. My surname is rare, and it's mine, I will add his to mine.

It's got absolutely fuck all to do with you.

Auspiciouspanda Sun 05-Feb-17 11:56:17

Was I fuck going to give up my surname after 26 years!

My DH double barrelled his too - how does that make you feel?

andpeggy29 Sun 05-Feb-17 11:56:24

My maiden name was double barrelled due to my parents being unmarried. It was the Bain on my fucking life!

The amount of people who don't grasp the fact you have 2 names, constant misspellings, forms not long enough. I had to send my driving licence back 5 times due to various combos of my first and last names.

I was so happy to change my name to something singular and normal when I got married to my husband.

I get why people double barrel names, but really some names sound awful together and allot of the time it's more trouble than it's worth!

DustyMaiden Sun 05-Feb-17 11:57:17

ExpectoPatronummmmmmmmmmmmm ?

Astro55 Sun 05-Feb-17 11:57:20

So if two people have double barreled names - will their kids have a double double barreled name?

Jane Green-Smith-Duncan-Jones

What happens to the grand children?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now