Talk

Advanced search

To think sizing is all over the place in clothes?

(24 Posts)
bumblebee50 Sun 05-Feb-17 11:07:11

I have been looking for a new pair of jeans. I have put on some weight but thought if I got a pair with a bit of stretch they would be fine - in any event my old jeans still fit. I bought a pair of size 14 stretch skinny jeans from M and Co. I'm 5'8" so although not skinny I didn't think I was really fat. However, when they came not only was there no stretch, I couldn't get them past my thighs. Feeling really fed up - I know I need to lose weight but I'm also menopausal and finding it difficult. Has anyone else had issues with sizing or am I just kidding myself on?

cariadlet Sun 05-Feb-17 11:10:19

I wouldn't ever buy jeans without trying them on - sizing varies so much from brand to brand or style to style. I tried jeans on in Primark a few months ago and found that the size 10 in one style felt the same as size 6 in a different style.

MaidOfStars Sun 05-Feb-17 11:14:20

I have clothes that are less than a year old and cover size 6 to size 12. That number on the label a remarkably uninformative value.

Euphemia Sun 05-Feb-17 11:16:26

It's hopeless at the moment. I'm sometimes 14 sometimes 16 - even within the same shop! I'm just ignoring the number now and wearing what's comfortable.

megletthesecond Sun 05-Feb-17 11:18:35

Yanbu. I look at them to gauge whether they will fit me. The size means nothing these days.

Unless it's jeans with waist and length in inches which are pretty spot on.

FlyWaxSleepRepeat Sun 05-Feb-17 11:20:36

I have clothes sized 6, 8 and 10 that all fit perfectly. The number on the label means nothing these days.

Sugarlightly Sun 05-Feb-17 11:21:26

I wear anything from a 18 to 24

MaidOfStars Sun 05-Feb-17 11:22:04

Unless it's jeans with waist and length in inches which are pretty spot on
I have a 24-25 inch waist and the 27 inch All Saints jeans I grabbed in a charity shop recently are a bit tight grin

bumblebee50 Sun 05-Feb-17 11:22:58

When I looked at the jeans they looked tiny and I thought they looked like a 10 maybe but thought if they had lots of stretch I would get them on - sadly not.

Thefitfatty Sun 05-Feb-17 11:25:43

I wear anything from a 10 to a 16. Even two pairs of pants in the same shop, that are supposedly the same cut, never fit the same way.

Nataleejah Sun 05-Feb-17 11:29:44

I don't know my size. 12 sometimes, 16 in other brands. Usually M in men's sizes

KatLovesCats Sun 05-Feb-17 11:32:39

In jeans I can be anything from a 16 (M&S vanity sizing) to a 20 (Primark skimping on fabric!). Though I'm usually an 18 there's no guarantee, it's a massive pain in the arse and I feel your pain!

CaoNiMa Sun 05-Feb-17 11:33:28

I often wonder why women's clothing sizes are in sizes and not centimetres/inches like men's clothes. I've concluded that it's due to the patriarchy. A tangible figure for us to stress about/compare each other.

BreconBeBuggered Sun 05-Feb-17 11:35:09

I'm wearing size 10 on top and a 12 in a skirt right now, and I'm pretty top-heavy. The latest dress I actually bought was an 18. So no, YANBU.

ItsyBitsyBikini Sun 05-Feb-17 11:39:00

YANBU I'm a 14 mostly but in h&m I am a size 20. I barely look at labels now, I have learnt to try stuff on in the shop rather than just hoping for the best. Annoying when one of my favourite clothing places is online exclusively but I know their sizing is pretty accurate (for me) but I do think it's stupid that there isn't a universal sizing system.

MaisyPops Sun 05-Feb-17 11:40:07

YANBU.
I find sizes in shops are more generous now than they used to be. I always used to be an 8-10, small but not especially petitie. Now i find some shops thr 6-8s are too big.

Makes me realise why some places have brough size 4 in for small petite women (personally find all the uproar about small sizes ridiculous because comments about size 32s are apparently not ok).

Now i just shop where i know the sizes are consistent and the cuts suit my frame.

Toast3 Sun 05-Feb-17 11:41:57

I bought a pair of jeans in Sainsburys. They fitted perfectly and were really comfy so I went back a week later and bought an identical pair. I could even get them done up! So annoying!

OwlinaTree Sun 05-Feb-17 11:42:17

Only took 10 posts till someone mentioned vanity sizing!! Bingo grin

BarbaraofSeville Sun 05-Feb-17 11:44:30

Agree that this is a feminist issue. Men don't have the inconvenience of having to take 2 or 3 sizes into the changing room as they have no idea what fits.

What I find even worse is that the gap between sizes seems so vast. I haven't bought anything for ages and am getting desperate because I can never do a 12 up and a 14 looks like the 'after' picture in a weight loss commercial so things never fit.

bloodyteenagers Sun 05-Feb-17 11:47:12

It's crazy. I have jeans in sizes 8 - 14. Several for the same place, same cut different colour. Or bought in a different season.
Then tops. I am big boobed. To not risk buttons flying I have to get a 16 generally. Bit of a pain as I have to take the waist in, bought the usual size massive on the boobs and very tight everywhere else. Really annoying.

Thefitfatty Sun 05-Feb-17 11:47:39

I can never do a 12 up and a 14 looks like the 'after' picture in a weight loss commercial so things never fit.

I always have this issue with pants. To get them over my thighs and hips it means they're hanging and really loose on the waist. Same with dresses. I always have loose clothing around the waist. It's so irritating.

Euphemia Sun 05-Feb-17 11:59:34

Most men are straight up and down, so they can buy things measured in cm/in whereas women are curvy.

I can't wear shirts at all because if they fit at the bust there's too much material around my middle! If I buy the shirts that come in at the waist, they're too tight as I have no waist!

Likewise with trousers, most men will be straight from waist to hips. They can buy 32in waist trousers and know they'll fit through the hips, whereas women are all manner of different sizes.

If women's clothes had cm/in measurements they'd have to include at least bust, waist and hips. The range of combinations would be ridiculous and unmanageable for shops.

So we have to put up with the current rough-estimate sizing. sad

HorraceTheOtter Sun 05-Feb-17 12:02:26

yep. I'm currently out to buy new trousers because my size 12 ones are much too big. my other pair of jeans are size 14 and fit perfectly... twats.

MaidOfStars Sun 05-Feb-17 13:48:40

Have just discoverd that in Peacocks, I fit into 9 year old girl tops....

Makes me realise why some places have brough size 4 in for small petite women (personally find all the uproar about small sizes ridiculous because comments about size 32s are apparently not ok)
I agree. My Mum was horrified to see a size 6 skirt of mine, because all she thinks is 'size 6, therefore skeletal' without 1. thinking that the size is arbitrary and 2. that a quick look at me will show different!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now