Talk

Advanced search

to think if he's such a 'supportive' dad, get him to fucking do it

(33 Posts)
Secretservice Sun 05-Feb-17 10:35:17

I probably am, but god I need a rant!

DS (16) filling in a personal statement-like form has to name someone who has been a positive influence in their lives and why. He immediately says, 'that'll be you then mum' πŸ˜‡ But in the next breath, 'and dad too.' Through gritted teeth I agree. But I'm howling inside.

This 'dad' hasn't seen or been in touch with him in over a month because DS hasn't had a match.

The form was for a private 6th-form option for sports mad DS, which I have spent hours researching, paid application fees for, been 5-hour taxi driver for interview.
Dad's sole contribution? 'Psychic once told me DS would be a famous sportsman' -so presumably if it's pre-ordained the fucker can just sit back and wait for it to happen

This dad has paid about 7/8 months maintenance for 3 teenage DCs in the four years we've been separated, because he's above working for the man. While I work full time with a 4-hour round commute to pay the mortgage, feed, clothe and keep DCs warm and try to facilitate their dreams.

😑 And breathe

AnyFucker Sun 05-Feb-17 10:37:09

I think your son's hesitation said it all, tbh

TwentyChews Sun 05-Feb-17 10:39:53

flowers. Though I read his statement as him trying to be fair/not show favouritism. He has done it a bit clumsily - and maybe inappropriately. But think of it that you have done a great job at bringing him up - first thing out of his mouth is the truth. He has then amended it just to be "fair".

Dad was an after-thought. You, you are his rock. Not sure if what I am saying is making sense. Have a cuppa brew

TwentyChews Sun 05-Feb-17 10:40:20

Ah....see AF says what I was trying to say in one line grin

KC225 Sun 05-Feb-17 10:41:31

Agree with Any. The 'and Dad' was a diplomatic add.

Good luck

TaraCarter Sun 05-Feb-17 10:44:15

Note he said you first immediately. Naming father was an afterthought, probably because he thought he should! I'm not surprised you feel angry- your ex sounds like a shit- but it's not your son's fault he feels obliged to pay lip service to his father's contribution. Thinking "my dad takes no interest in me, unless it suits him" is a bit of a hard thing to compute at 16.

StealthPolarBear Sun 05-Feb-17 10:44:22

Yes the "and dad" was diplomacy and a but of teenage rose tinted glasses. Ultimately he knows who the positive influence is

TaraCarter Sun 05-Feb-17 10:45:06

Cross-post with er, everyone.

Secretservice Sun 05-Feb-17 10:47:44

I hope you're right AF.
I know, deep down in the vestigial rational part of my brain, that they need to be able to see their dad in the best light, but it's the equivalency that really pisses me off. WE ARE NOT EQUAL. I AM VASTLY THE SUPERIOR PARENT.
So there!

Rugbyplayersarehot Sun 05-Feb-17 10:47:51

Agree with all the above. He knows love he knows and will keep on understanding and knowing more the older he gets.

You are a super mum flowers

BarbarianMum Sun 05-Feb-17 10:48:45

Having split loyalties is no walk in the park. Neither is accepting that one of your parents is fundementally not that bothered about you. Give your son a break.

StealthPolarBear Sun 05-Feb-17 10:49:37

He knows smile

StealthPolarBear Sun 05-Feb-17 10:50:25

But I do get it. It's insulting to you to even try to maintain the pretence. The facts speak for themselves. But he isnt thinking like that I promise.

TaraCarter Sun 05-Feb-17 10:51:15

Your son clearly doesn't see you as equivalent. He just still feels guilty for not seeing you as equivalent. Hopefully, for both your sakes, the day will come when he can think, "it's not favoritism on my part, it's me recognising my dad is a bit shit, and that's on him not me".

AnyFucker Sun 05-Feb-17 10:52:10

He is 16. He gets it as much as he can right now.

Wolfiefan Sun 05-Feb-17 10:52:40

You may need a rant but I would take it as a huge compliment. He named you. He maybe thought you would remind him of dad if he didn't say him too. So despite everything you clearly don't bitch about his dad or try and turn him against his father. He knows you are fair and kind and respects that. He doesn't want to disappoint you.

Secretservice Sun 05-Feb-17 10:53:03

That was a completely unintended show of favoutism to AF! 😳 Too busy trying to post in caps on phone to notice all the other replies!

Thank you all. I know it's part of the ideal Mother's job description to go unacknowledged, but sometimes it's nice to hear nice things!

StealthPolarBear Sun 05-Feb-17 10:56:02

Who do you think he'll tell first when he gets in?
Who do you think will hold his child first?
(In quite a few years I assume!)

Secretservice Sun 05-Feb-17 10:57:00

Barbarian mum I hope you don't think I said any of this to DS! That's what MN's for!

Secretservice Sun 05-Feb-17 11:00:50

wolfiefan he is both fair and kind, and I am immensely proud of him and his sisters (usually!)

You know, possibly the saddest thing about this is that his dad will never know that he was cited on that form

Kookypants Sun 05-Feb-17 11:00:57

You know that snowflake term that people hate, your ex sounds like one. You're a wonderful inspirational mum and he knows it.

eosmum Sun 05-Feb-17 11:01:07

Sorry I have to disagree with not telling him how shit his dad is. Time and again I read here how the DC will always know who was there for them and they will figure out the "Disney Dad" when in my experience it hasn't happened. Two very good friends are both going through hell after giving up everything for their DCs when abusive partners left, the adult DCs are barely in contact with them and fully in contact with the Dads. One friend has had a complete breakdown and the other has never met a grandchild. but the wonderful dads are still gods in their DCs eyes. Neither Dad paid one penny throughout the childhoods, only went to matches so all could see how wonderful they were, had clothes that could only be worn in their houses during the rare contacts, expensive presents to be left in their houses etc. bad mouthed the mums to the DCs continually fed them lies the mums took the higher ground, only to be left like this by adults.

StarOnTheTree Sun 05-Feb-17 11:01:22

WE ARE NOT EQUAL. I AM VASTLY THE SUPERIOR PARENT

I love this ^ Me too OP and I get exactly where you're coming from. There is a situation with DD2 at the moment and my XH has jumped on the bandwagon as her caring, doting father when the reality is very, very different. DD2 knows this and I'm sure your DS does too.

Secretservice Sun 05-Feb-17 11:06:00

I've just realised wolfie I misread your post, you said I was fair and kind 😳 Thank you

stealth that baby best be decades away! He has recently bought home his first proper girlfriend πŸ˜„

BarbarianMum Sun 05-Feb-17 11:06:42

No I know you didn't/ wouldn't. But I did wonder if you think the day your ds acknowledges the truth about his df will be a great day. It won't - he may well spend years thinking it was something fundemental in him that caused his father's disinterest (I wonder how much his passion for sport is driven by wanting his dad's approval). He may also worry that he'll turn out like his dad when he marries/becomes a father.

Sorry if I'm way off. I know it must be frustrating for you. But I've been in your son's place (only science, no sport smile) and its it's a painful road to walk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now