Talk

Advanced search

...to leave a note for neighbours about noise?

(18 Posts)
SpangledBoots Sat 04-Feb-17 20:34:49

Last night it sounded like the upstairs neighbours were having a party. I couldn't vaguely hear some chatting, there was music and lots of stomping about until I fell asleep at 1ish. Also noise from drunk people in the close and outside smoking.

Now tonight I'm trying to watch tv in my living room and there's constant banging from dance music being played loudly (can hear it over my tv and my washing machine) Not sure how late this will go on but it's more annoying at this time - later I'm more likely to be in my bedroom.

I've been here a year now and it's always been quiet so it sounds like these are new tenants.

AIBU to leave them a note if this continues tonight? (I don't like confrontation so would rather not go up there)

ConvincingLiar Sat 04-Feb-17 20:37:28

I don't think a note is a good idea. More likely to get results from being polite, friendly and a real person.

Prompto Sat 04-Feb-17 20:38:58

I'd give them tonight with it being their first weekend in the flat but if they keep it up then knock and have a word. It might be a simple case of them not realising how much the sound carries through to downstairs.

Or they might be total knobheads who don't care, in which case you can go to the council and/or their landlord.

Hope they simmer down at an earlier time.tonight and you can get some sleep.

JennyHolzersGhost Sat 04-Feb-17 20:42:28

Just go round and knock. I know it's hard but it does have much more effect. Just be nice - say 'hi we haven't met, in your downstairs neighbour, just wanted to let you know how much the noise carries. It was very loud last night and I can hear your music very loudly tonight too - sorry to bother you but I'm afraid the sound protection in these flats is terrible.'

JennyHolzersGhost Sat 04-Feb-17 20:42:50

Just go round and knock. I know it's hard but it does have much more effect. Just be nice - say 'hi we haven't met, in your downstairs neighbour, just wanted to let you know how much the noise carries. It was very loud last night and I can hear your music very loudly tonight too - sorry to bother you but I'm afraid the sound protection in these flats is terrible.'

SpangledBoots Sat 04-Feb-17 20:47:01

I just feel so nervous about speaking to them and seeming like a total cow.

😶

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sat 04-Feb-17 20:49:07

If it's only been a couple of nights so far, I'd leave it. It might be a one off. Unless it's keeping you awake later on, I'd leave for now. Def don't do a note though, notes are for badly parked arseholes, not your neighbours

Prompto Sat 04-Feb-17 20:50:16

You won't seem like a total cow if they're reasonable people. If I was making loads of noise to the point that my neighbours couldn't sleep and they knocked on the door to have a polite, friendly word about it I wouldn't be angry, I'd be embarrassed that I didn't realise how much the sound carried. And then I'd turn it down and be mindful in future.

SpangledBoots Sat 04-Feb-17 21:44:52

Argh it's getting much worse. People jumping heavily and loud dance music. It sounds like there are a fair few people there now and new people arriving. They sound drunk.

Manepartner Sat 04-Feb-17 21:47:17

Sending notes is a dickish move imo. If people have a problem they should just bloody discuss it. However I agree with pp's, if they are new neighbours I would give them this weekend without a doubt. Leave it and see how things go.

Manepartner Sat 04-Feb-17 21:48:26

They sound drunk hmm

DailyMailFuckRightOff Sat 04-Feb-17 21:52:56

Would definitely avoid the note. Talk to them tomorrow, phrase it as 'you know how these buildings are - no soundproofing' etc etc.

Lots of smiles and presumed understanding 'I know you'll understand as it's rubbish not being able to hear the tv isn't it?' Etc.

Unless they're total arses they'll be pleasant to you (and probably pretty embarrassed) whereas if you do a note you're much more likely to come across as a cow as you can't use tone of voice and facial expressions to illustrate what you want to.
You've seen the note related threads on here - they don't tend to be well received!

Saying that I sent my friend a nice 'wish you were here' postcard last year to her flat with communal entrance, and at the bottom of the card wrote 'hope the loudy sex couple upstairs have calmed it down a bit'. She never heard them again.

ihatetosay Sat 04-Feb-17 22:25:16

people can sound drunk

SpangledBoots Sat 04-Feb-17 22:27:17

They're loudly singing and jumping then going out into the close and yelling. confused

Cherrysoup Sat 04-Feb-17 22:52:17

Do you know who the landlord is? Better to go through them.

Yukbuck Sat 04-Feb-17 22:56:36

That would annoy me too op. I'd also give them the benefit of the doubt given its their first weekend. I've just moved and have taken the approach of meeting the neighbours and becoming friendly. No parties planned, but now if I do plan a party, I will let them know in advance and will obviously try to keep noise to a minimum.

donquixotedelamancha Sat 04-Feb-17 23:05:00

"AIBU to leave them a note if this continues tonight? (I don't like confrontation so would rather not go up there)"

Yes. Obviously. If you don't like confrontation, try a conversation instead (tomorrow, not now). If it turns into a confrontation because you are asking a favour, you are doing it wrong (or they are nuts).

Leaving a note is rude (or to put it another way confrontational), making a confrontation at some point likely. If they turn out to be arseholes about noise there is plenty of time to have an argument- start by doing it nicely.

SpangledBoots Sat 04-Feb-17 23:32:34

Don't know the landlord but if there's ongoing noise like this, I'll speak to my letting agent about it.

If they are new, hopefully it's just this weekend and that's it. It's just a one bed flat so at worst day to day it should only be a couple living there.

It's stopped now - it sounded like they all went out about half an hour ago.

I'll put any passive aggressive note writing back in it's box.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now