Talk

Advanced search

To ask you all about food allergies/intolerances?

(17 Posts)
Funnyface1 Sat 04-Feb-17 16:16:40

Hi, I'm asking here because I want as many replies as possible and will genuinely appreciate every one.

I'm wondering if anyone has had a sudden onset allergy or intolerance as an adult. I seem to be having trouble with deadly nightshade foods (peppers, tomatoes, potatoes) and I can't find much information on it. I've recently had a baby (nearly 6 months) and feel like this all started after the birth.

So if you wouldn't mind:

Have you had a sudden onset allergy/intolerance?

Was it following a pregnancy?

What symptoms did you have?

(Especially anything odd, my symptoms are a bit blush.)

Thank you so much.

CalorieCreditEqualsCake Sat 04-Feb-17 16:21:30

Allergy and intolerance are totally different.

What are your symptoms?

Cornettoninja Sat 04-Feb-17 16:22:06

Not a food intolerance but my (existing) psoriasis has gone doolally since giving birth. That's an autoimmune disorder so I wouldn't be surprised if allergies/intolerances that were previously suppressed couldn't be triggered after pregnancy.

Shame really as my skin was the best it's ever been my entire adult life during pregnancy. Apparently your immune system is lowered to accommodate your new hitchhiker and the knock on effect is that over exuberant immune systems can chill out for a bit. Makes sense to me it could change things for anyone after as it all readjusts itself.

Funnyface1 Sat 04-Feb-17 17:42:05

Well I'm not ready to share just yet but I promise I will if I get some more information. I know they are different but apparently a mild allergic reaction can be similar to a food intolerance. Im learning.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Sat 04-Feb-17 17:54:29

I've identified a low tolerance to dairy since having DS1. He had an allergy to milk and eggs and an intolerance to soya. When he weaned back off the exclusion diet, my IBS got worse and I realised that I'm sensitive to dairy and soya too.

I suspect that these are historical issues. I often had digestive issues on wild camps/ DoE award which coincided with eating bean feast. Other digestive episodes coincided with increased patterns of consuming dairy such as a bulk buy of milkshake when DS was a baby- I put it down to sleep deprivation.

I may have become more sensitive, but it was the realisation that my system worked well when it was affected by his dietary restrictions then declined again that helped me make the connection.

RufusTheSpartacusReindeer Sat 04-Feb-17 17:58:10

Oooh

My friend has just developed an intolerence/allergy to tomatoes

Apparently they are a very common 'irritant'

RufusTheSpartacusReindeer Sat 04-Feb-17 17:59:23

Sorry

Her face swelled up

I hope you are not her blush

If you are.... Hope you are having a good weekend , see you next week

RufusTheSpartacusReindeer Sat 04-Feb-17 18:00:07

Oh no we are alright

Just reread your post

She is well old like me...no babies here

user892 Sat 04-Feb-17 18:02:12

Diahorrea sometimes when eating nightshade types. Comes and goes. Stress related maybe for me.

AndHoldTheBun Sat 04-Feb-17 18:13:58

Nightshades cause me problems but it depend on amounts and how they are prepared.

Tomatoes- reflux if I have too many cooked (i.e. A sauce). Beef steak tomato (and only that variety), I've had sudden attack of the runs (tmi!). Small raw tomatoes seem ok.

Potato (skin on) and Peppers (especially chilli) joint pains, especially in the small bones of my hands and feet for some reason. I love curry so that a bit of a problem for me! However, fresh or dried, flaked chilli is less of a problem than powdered - I guess that's a surface area thing.

Aubergine seems ok for me but then, it's not something I want to eat that often.

I've had blood tests in the past that showed reactions to potato, and peppers but iirc, not to tomato.

happysunr1se Sat 04-Feb-17 18:18:15

When I was in my early 20s I was allergic to.....I dont know what.

The first time it happened I was walking very quickly home alone in the wee small hours and had just eaten a chicken tikka sandwich from a 24hour corner shop. By the time I got home I was in some level of anaphylaxic shock; I had to rip off my shoes and tights cos my legs and feet swelled up and it was painful, my eyes were swollen up with big blistered eyelids and tears streaming out, my lips too. I was coughing and sneezing constantly, my chest was tight and my throat was whistling.

I got referred to the hospital who did a whole series of prick tests. Nothing came up. They thought maybe I was allergic to a combination of stuff rather than 1 thing in particular. I was prescribed an epipen, steroids and antihistamine, but since then I only experienced weaker allergic reactions many months apart.

There was never any decernable pattern to what made me react. The reactions happened less and less until I didnt react to anything for a while.

Several years later I started reacting after drinking wine or beer. Just one sip and my nose started streaming like I had a bad cold, sneezing constantly.

I never had as bad reactions as that first time and now many years later I can drink alcohol ( not that I drink that much anyway) with no problem.

Occasionally I get the symptoms of allergic reaction. Last year I reacted to durian fruit, but I ate it again a few weeks later and nothing happened.

I always have antihistamine to hand so thankfully as soon as I feel the reaction coming on I can stop it so it never gets that far.

A few months ago I got a really tight wheezy throat many hours after I had last eaten which I think was triggered by a giggling fit. I don't know what that means!

Bodys are weird, allergies come and go, or at least mine do!

Funnyface1 Sat 04-Feb-17 18:33:46

Thank you all so much for your information, I really appreciate it. I didn't know what was wrong with me at first and kept a food diary to try and find a link. It was then that I saw the trigger foods and learned that they were all nightshades and that some people have trouble with them. Interesting about the immune system/pregnancy link. Gives me hope that this may one day settle down if I give my system a break.

Madeyemoodysmum Sat 04-Feb-17 19:23:30

Pregnancy can change allergies. I used to get bad hay fever. Since having kids I don't much these days. Only suffer on very heavy pollen days.
However some of my other allergies got worse and I have new ones too.

Screenburn Sat 04-Feb-17 20:37:50

This is probably of no reassurance OP but all my food allergies (bar one) have developed in the last year or so out of nowhere - haven't been pregnant so I've no idea why confused but it's pretty scary - eating something you've always been fine with and then gasping for air sad

Hope you find a way to manage yours.

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 04-Feb-17 20:42:45

I didn't have migraines before pregnancy; now I do. Which is exacerbated by chocolate, wine <weeps> and a couple of other things. I suppose they would be triggers rather than intolerances but it's a PITA.

chocdonutyy Sat 04-Feb-17 20:45:58

I'm having similar symptoms, which seem to be caused by a few things, not quite narrowed it down but potato skins seem a particular problem. Last time I ate them I was up in the early hours with cramps and had to dash to the loo multiple times!
I've been taking loperimide (under advice of gp) for a few months and thankfully I seem to have normal bowel habits most of the time now 🙂

HistoriaTrixie Sat 04-Feb-17 20:52:32

I very suddenly began reacting to walnuts in my mid-twenties. My doctor calls it Oral Allergy Syndrome; while I don't have a full blown anaphylactic reaction I do get very painful hives and swelling of my mouth, cheeks, and tongue. I've stopped explaining that it's not an anaphylactic reaction though because I've had people put walnuts in food (usually baked goods) then once I start swelling and get angry they go all indignant and say things like, "But you said it wouldn't KILL you so I thought it was fine!"

Wankers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: