Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask for help with dds maths homework?

(21 Posts)
hopefulclam Sat 04-Feb-17 14:21:39

I have been proven useless at helping for the past few years and she has no idea where to even start. We'd Both appreciate the help blush

TeenAndTween Sat 04-Feb-17 14:42:29

First what year group?

Second there must be more to this than just what she's written. What is she mean to do with those inequalities?

ii) on the right hand side you could divide top and bottom by ab so you have
sqrt(ab) > 2 but that doesn't get you anywhere.

Are these 2 separate questions, or two parts of the same question?

In other words, what has she been doing at school this week, and can she check with a friend that she has written it down fully?

redexpat Sat 04-Feb-17 14:47:39

Yeah I dont think she has written it down properly.

AllTheLight Sat 04-Feb-17 14:51:24

Are there some words to go with it? It's not clear what she's meant to be doing.

Allthebestnamesareused Sat 04-Feb-17 15:01:12

Also why are you doing her homework anyway?

She should be doing it. If she has written it down incorrectly or doesn't understand what she must have been learning in class then she should be speaking to her teacher not getting you or other random people on forums to do it for her hmm

pudcat Sat 04-Feb-17 15:04:06

Perhaps you have to say which statement is correct

TeenAndTween Sat 04-Feb-17 15:05:10

Allthebest It is called helping.

OP There is nothing wrong with you trying to spend time helping your DD understand how to do her homework.

But in this case, I don't think you can help without her giving more information.

junebirthdaygirl Sat 04-Feb-17 15:06:25

Maybe she has to prove those equations to be correct.
So let a equal 2 and b equal 3.
A ➕ b divided by 2 is 3
Square root of a multiplied by b is square
root of 6 which is less than 3 so equation is incorrect.
I don't know if any of that makes sense.
Do other one in similar way.
But l may be totally bonkers here.

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 04-Feb-17 15:06:50

Photomath app is your friend for this situation.

Download it and then it tells you the answer and if you click at the bottom, it tells you the steps taken too.

Notyetthere Sat 04-Feb-17 15:09:46

Yup Junegirl beat me to it.

I believe you have to prove that the equation are correct no matter what numbers you substitute the letters for

Notyetthere Sat 04-Feb-17 15:12:22

Junebirthdaygirl even.

contortionist Sat 04-Feb-17 15:16:29

The first one is the famous AM GM inequality and is true if a <> b, a >= 0, b >= 0. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inequality_of_arithmetic_and_geometric_means

The second one makes not much sense. It's equivalent to a.b > 4, but I assume there's a transcription error.

Allthebestnamesareused Sat 04-Feb-17 18:46:32

TeenandTween

You have missed my point. If the sums are at that level already then the child should be able to seek help from her own peers or teacher or parents then the onus should be on her to do this type of leg work without Mum or Dad having to do the running around.

That is different to asking Mum to help.

TeenAndTween Sat 04-Feb-17 18:53:21

All Well maybe. But it depends on the age, and the child.

Not all children have friends in same maths group that they feel confident about contacting re homework. And maybe time constraints are such that the family would prefer not to wait until Monday to ask the teacher if it is something obvious. Quite often the solution is clear to a 'random' on here, and then the child and parent can get on with the h/w.

I quite like these maths h/w threads myself.

SparklyLeprechaun Sat 04-Feb-17 19:03:16

First one is equivalent to (a-b) ^2 >0 so true if a<>b

Second one is equivalent to a*b>4 so true for a, b>2

SparklyLeprechaun Sat 04-Feb-17 19:10:46

Actually no, talking nonsense, a*b>4 is probably missing something, it's not true for a, b in the (- 2,2) interval

AnotherAardvark Sat 04-Feb-17 19:11:08

Is it possible, given the context, that the second one should have a + b in the denominator not ab? That way the first one would be the arithmetic and geometric means, as contortionist says, and the second would be the geometric and harmonic means. Again this is true unless a and b are equal. Depending on DDs age the problem might be to prove this?

contortionist Sat 04-Feb-17 19:45:48

"Sums" grin
Aardvark - I'm sure that must be it, yes.

MsJudgemental Sat 04-Feb-17 20:10:45

It isn't your homework, it's her's. Her teacher needs to see what she can do independently, not you!

DadDadDad Sat 04-Feb-17 20:31:03

I think Aardvark's summary at 19:11 is the most plausible suggestion as to what these questions should be saying. I think this would be A level material at least (although might be accessible to top GCSE pupils).

HughJarss Sat 04-Feb-17 20:47:51

I was hoping this was going to be about chunking as we have just learned that! This is way above my station, sorry and good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now