Talk

Advanced search

To eat raw tuna

(8 Posts)
goingmadinthecountry Sat 04-Feb-17 13:57:56

I want to make the tuna poke from Saturday Morning Kitchen but won't get any sashimi grade tuna anywhere near here. It's kind of marinaded. Would you make it with regular tuna??

bestcatintheworld Sat 04-Feb-17 13:59:21

Probably, if it looks really fresh.

TizzyDongue Sat 04-Feb-17 14:04:48

What's it marinated in?

Raw tuna is nicest when it's fresh. Same day type fresh.

pikapoo Sat 04-Feb-17 15:16:05

A Japanese friend used to buy raw packaged tuna off the shelf from the supermarket (never from fish counter), said if it had just been put out with a number of days left before expiry and had clearly been frozen before then it was ok to consume raw.

NarkyMcDinkyChops Sat 04-Feb-17 15:18:34

I'd go to a proper fish shop.

goingmadinthecountry Sun 05-Feb-17 01:05:13

We ate it and no-one is ill. Waitrose with lots of days left on it. Nice fish shop is about 10 miles away. Living on the edge!!

mainlywingingit Sun 05-Feb-17 01:09:33

No it must be sushi grade. There are parasites in it or something like that that you ingest with uncooked regular tuna

wettunwindee Sun 05-Feb-17 02:20:37

"Sushi grade" has no legal definition so is absolutely meaningless. I assume people read about it somewhere or heard it on TV.

Really, you just have to trust the fishmonger or wherever you're buying the fish and cross your fingers a little bit. Fish for being consumed raw mustn't be cross contaminated with other fish. This can be hard as in commercial kitchens, fishmongers etc, all raw fish will be treated the same. The same board can and will be used for raw mackerel and, theoretically, your raw tuna immediately afterwards. Sushi restaurants understand this but the typical Brtish fishmonger may not. Off course, this goes all the way back to the supplier if they're buying fillets or pieces of fish and really, how many buy a whole tuna?

Same day type fresh.

Ummm... you realise it's frozen on the boats. Freezing kills off parasites.

Glad you were okay OP. Get it well before the use-by date and cross your fingers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now