Talk

Advanced search

Or have Abidec been lying to me?

(5 Posts)
MrsMogginsMinge Sat 04-Feb-17 13:44:50

For the last year I have been giving DS a dose of Abidec multivitamin syrup most days every day. We live in the north so I specifically checked the side of the box for Vit D and it said 100% RDA. Perfect.

Except I looked into Vit D dosage recently (because I started taking some myself) and the recommended daily dose for children is now 400IU/10mcg (according to the NHS).

The Abidec box says it contains 5mcg per dose. And their definition of a dose is the 10ml for a 3-5 year old, whereas I've been giving DS the recommended 5ml for a 1-3 year old.

So he's been getting a quarter of the actual recommended amount on the 5 days a week I remember to give it to him

I mean, he doesn't appear to have rickets yet, but that is a bit crap isn't it?

I'm topping up with separate Vit D drops for now, but if anyone can recommend me a non-revolting liquid vitamin for a 2 yr old that actually has THE PROPER AMOUNT of vitamins in I'd be most grateful.

Fuckthepatriarchy Sat 04-Feb-17 13:58:32

But won't the rest already be (mostly) topped up. Yes you won't get the full amount from being outside in winter but you get some and you are probably still eating some foods fortifying it so is it not rounding out overall?

Fuckthepatriarchy Sat 04-Feb-17 13:59:07

Or is 10mcg the top up recommended sorry?

Hugepeppapigfan Sat 04-Feb-17 14:04:27

We use wellkid syrup. Not sure how much vit D is in it though.

MrsMogginsMinge Sat 04-Feb-17 14:40:08

10mcg is the recommended top up I think. We're out to the park every day, rain and shine (it's like having a bloody dog) but there's not enough sunlight up here to make any from the sky from about Oct-March. And obviously getting eggs, oily fish and liver into a toddler is easier said than done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now