Talk

Advanced search

To ask how you expect to be treated on your birthday?

(104 Posts)
Mrsknackered Fri 03-Feb-17 19:31:44

Tomorrow is my birthday and wondered how your birthdays are in your house!..--please let somebody in this house remember--

Mrsknackered Fri 03-Feb-17 19:33:09

please let somebody in this house remember

Apologies, failed strikethroughs seriously offend me.

BewtySkoolDropowt Fri 03-Feb-17 19:34:02

I expect to be treated the same way as I am every other day.

booellesmum Fri 03-Feb-17 19:34:44

Breakfast in bed and I'm happy.

SheldonCRules Fri 03-Feb-17 19:36:11

A card and hugs from the children, usually get gifts. We never make a big fuss of adult birthdays, just the children's.

winniewigs Fri 03-Feb-17 19:36:26

It's a non event really. I like it that way. Dc gave me a lovely card, and heart shaped box of chocs. I wouldn't expect that every year though.

Somehowsomewhere Fri 03-Feb-17 19:36:28

I don't really get the not remembering aspect of it... surely it's been mentioned at some point in the past week or two?
Anyway... I would expect a gift or 2, a card, maybe something my 3 year old has made, and a nice bottle of wine with dinner (that DH has cooked, although he always cooks if he's here). Nothing fancy but an acknowledgement that it's my birthday definitely.

misskatamari Fri 03-Feb-17 19:37:17

I don't expect to be treated any differently to normal really, but usually want to do something nice together if possible. I don't really get the "I hope people remember" though, as it's something we'll have talked about in the preceding weeks

Rarotonga Fri 03-Feb-17 19:38:14

I'm happy with a 'Happy birthday' from dh and a phone call/text from close family. I don't really have any other expectations!

Sherlock35 Fri 03-Feb-17 19:39:21

I would want a gift and a card and my children to wish me a happy birthday. I usually organise my own cake, birthday flowers and something nice to do or eat. :D

ShatnersBassoon Fri 03-Feb-17 19:39:49

A cup of tea brought to me in bed by whichever child gets DH's reminder about it first. I'm not keen on fuss over adult birthdays, so I don't expect or want much.

ThisMorningWentBadly Fri 03-Feb-17 19:40:09

I would just like some thought and advanced planning to go into whatever happens. DH rushing out on the morning of my birthday which was a school day to buy a fancy breakfast was neither thoughtful or helpful

TheCatsMother99 Fri 03-Feb-17 19:40:38

Pretty much the same as other days except I expect my DH to wish me a happy birthday and give me a card at least.

Fruitcocktail6 Fri 03-Feb-17 19:40:56

Like a princess

mambono5 Fri 03-Feb-17 19:41:02

I expect to not be in the house! No surprise, but for us birthdays should be celebrated on a nice holiday. If we really cannot go away because of school, then at least we plan and book something for the first available date. Then I just expect a glass of something and a piece of cake.

CheshireChat Fri 03-Feb-17 19:41:25

I expect it to be acknowledged and have something nice done for me- go out/ order takeaway if possible. Or simply a card, flowers and for my DP to run me a bath and take over watching DS.

I like presents as well, but if we're skint it's not an issue.

Fruitcocktail6 Fri 03-Feb-17 19:41:35

Well I don't expect that, but that's how I am treated so it would be shock if it stopped suddenku

ohfourfoxache Fri 03-Feb-17 19:42:46

Happy birthday for tomorrow <offers cake it's mine too!>

Tbh I just want to stay under the covers and ignore it. DH has to work in the morning and my parents are coming over in the afternoon so quietly getting out with just dh and ds is going to be impossible. I would really rather it was "just another day" tbh but I'm going to have to put on a mask of forced jollity sad

LordPercy Fri 03-Feb-17 19:42:50

Well as I'm an adult I don't except the world to stop and everyone to fawn over me like some of my colleagues. I suppose I expect a card from DH, hugs from the kids, some type of chocolate cake (the kids love it) and to give my mum some flowers as yunno, that's why I'm here and she's still here for me to thank. I'm not what you'd call high maintenance. It's just a day.

Mrsknackered Fri 03-Feb-17 19:43:42

somehow and katamari I'm exaggerating ever so slightly. It has been mentioned a lot but the likelihood is it will take some prompting to get a happy birthday.
DP last year left for work before I was awake and I received a 'what's for dinner' text around lunchtime. 'Birthday cake!' got the message across.

CMOTDibbler Fri 03-Feb-17 19:44:17

A card, something to open, and a cake.

Crunchymum Fri 03-Feb-17 19:44:33

Card from the kids (via DP), cake (bake my own as I prefer my own cakes) and wine.

That is the minimum... and to be honest I'd be perfectly happy with that.

Used to go away for my birthday pre-DC. Normally for 2 weeks grin but can't do that now.

iklboo Fri 03-Feb-17 19:44:55

I don't expect it but it usually goes:

Presents, cards & breakfast in bed. If DS is at school on the day that's fairly early but I can go back to sleep.

Nice light lunch with DH during the day.

Meal out as a family somewhere I've picked for tea (where we all like)

Usually a fun supermarket cake

Wine / fizz when we get home

DH gets the same on his birthday. DS everything except breakfast in bed because he doesn't lie in (yet - he's only 11).

MrsBlennerhassett Fri 03-Feb-17 19:45:08

I expect to be treated like a princess. I expect cake and gifts and attention.
I make sure these things happen.

Somehowsomewhere Fri 03-Feb-17 19:45:30

Last birthday we were away at Center Parcs (2 very young children). We had chocolate cake for breakfast (DD1 couldn't wait!), I had a massage at the spa in the morning, we swam in the afternoon then an early meal out (girls are in bed for 7). Then shared a bottle of wine when they were asleep. I got a couple of gifts on top, nothing expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now