Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to hate crowdfunding?

(29 Posts)
EvilMrsK Fri 03-Feb-17 19:09:54

Recently I've been sent several links to crowdfunding or just giving sites because some poor sod has gone on holiday without insurance and now needs a fortune to get home or someone has died with life/funeral cover and donations are requested. AIBU or should these pages be for people who actually knew or know (and cared about) the person? I feel our culture is now even more encouraging people to think don't worry about it someone else will pay. So.....am I on the express to hell?

BigbyWolf Fri 03-Feb-17 19:19:26

Yanbu.

Always makes me eye roll when I see one. Want something? Bloody pay for it yourself!

MrsExpo Fri 03-Feb-17 19:25:14

Totally agree with you. Not U at all. Whilst there must be some genuine good causes out there, they seem to be drowned out these days by people begging money for the most ridiculous reasons. I saw one recently from someone who had bought a horse and then realised how much they cost to feed! Seriously ..... what happened to "if you can't afford it, you can't have it."

BenadrylCucumberpatch Fri 03-Feb-17 20:07:59

They are the safety net of both the entitled and disorganised.

"I wish I could afford the big wedding I deserve, i guess I'll beg for the cash to fund my wedding".

Or, "Our family has suddenly been hit with unexpected funeral costs from sudden death, please help pay to bury Uncle Albert, age 97".

YANBU!

FrogletinaBallerina Fri 03-Feb-17 20:10:42

The chancers who had the baby early in New York (Dax?) where their insurance paid out but their mate still crowdfunded for them put me right off donating to anything like that.

Pissedoffhousewife Fri 03-Feb-17 21:10:16

I hate these too, especially the no insurance ones - holiday insurance, contents insurance, etc. Why should evertone else pay for insurance and then fund those who decide not to bother?!

ImperialBlether Fri 03-Feb-17 21:13:40

I've seen a few for weddings, often because one of the couple is very ill or dying. They've been together for years, had children etc and now want to spend a fortune on a wedding.

I don't understand that. If I was going to give money to someone in that situation it would be so that their family had a bit of extra money after the person died, eg so that the partner could take time off work to care for the children. They can afford a wedding - that's only about £100. Nobody needs to have everyone there for that.

empirerecordsrocked Fri 03-Feb-17 21:14:32

It's begging. Not interested.

Andrewofgg Fri 03-Feb-17 21:16:43

They are the online continuation of the Eye Need adverts with their sortcodes and account numbers. Ignore.

karmacoma1 Fri 03-Feb-17 21:18:07

YANBU

There are some really pathetic ones about.

I saw a great one via fb once. This woman (well into her forties too - old enough to know better) put one up asking begging for money so she could get a ticket to a rave night.

She got ripped for it, naturally.

Keeptrudging Fri 03-Feb-17 21:28:12

I've donated when a (distant) friend's partner was killed suddenly. He was only in his 30s, totally unexpected. It was to help cover funeral expenses/bills, and to give her one less thing to worry about.

However, I have no urge to crowdfund the fees/expenses for my cousin's many 'charity' cycling events. I think that's really cheeky. I'd rather give direct to the charity.

Foxesarefriends Fri 03-Feb-17 21:30:42

FrogletinaBallerina I got shredded on that thread about dax, we ended up being hounded off for voicing our suspicions. Still annoys me grin

Birdsgottaf1y Fri 03-Feb-17 21:34:02

I always think that those without holiday insurance etc, don't deserve help, but I can understand any parent wanting to repatriate their child's body.

I gave to one for "Cuddle Cots", this was bought about by a Mother who wanted to bring her Stillborn baby home, for a short while from the funeral home, but didn't have an alternative to a coffin.

In low income areas, family/friends/community may not be feasible for some things, which are worthwhile and should be available.

MarciaBlaine Fri 03-Feb-17 21:38:53

I've seen MNetters doing it via FB and always get a bit hmm. I have sent the odd 10 quid for things close to my heart though. It's the way of the world though now. life is via social media. Even the head twat of the free world seems to find time to tweet.

BackforGood Fri 03-Feb-17 21:44:29

YANBU OP. I raise my eyebrows at that too. Why do they think the rest of us pay insurance / put a bit by / save for a rainy day. It definitely encourages the 'no need to worry about what ifs, someone else will sort it out for me' attitude.

Fizzyknickers Fri 03-Feb-17 21:51:14

We used something similar for our son to have spinal surgery that wasn't available on the NHS because we live in Wales. We raised just under £35k, and every penny was spent on his care, the op and rehab after. Sadly tho, I'm aware of at least 2 families who have raised much more and used it to pay their mortgage and have a holiday to 'get over the surgery' hmm which means legit causes end up under scrutiny!

Keeptrudging Fri 03-Feb-17 22:22:03

Fizzy, that's a legitimate way to use crowdfunding, I'm glad you raised it, that's potentially life changing. I have no urge to fund someone's jolly for 'charity', or their wedding etc.

ImperialBlether Fri 03-Feb-17 22:36:22

Fizzy, I would definitely have given to that. I'm really glad your son got the help he needed. The others you mention - that's really appalling and they give all fundraisers a bad name.

hackneyandbow Fri 03-Feb-17 22:53:33

I'm still pissed off at that baby dax bullshit

allowlsthinkalot Fri 03-Feb-17 23:09:23

I have used it to raise funds for medical technology not available on the NHS in our area for a child we know. It will hugely improve quality of life.

StillMaidOfStars Fri 03-Feb-17 23:12:24

Crowdfunding was supposed to be small investments in economically/commercially-viable ideas. It's entrepreneurial at heart.

Now? Begging. Raw open not-even-pretending begging.

SundialShadow Fri 03-Feb-17 23:14:11

Oh dear, if only every computer had this button instead of you being forced to read these emails.
YABU.

StillMaidOfStars Fri 03-Feb-17 23:14:32

Sorry, just to be a pedant. Crowdfunding is not the same as JustGiving. The former has some public worth, the latter is the begging stiff.

StillMaidOfStars Fri 03-Feb-17 23:15:02

Stiff/stuff

StillMaidOfStars Fri 03-Feb-17 23:16:04

Sundial I'm a STEM academic. I've seen a handful of interesting ideas get off the ground by crowdfunding. Now? You can't find them for the dross.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now