Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you have IBS and work in an Office environment how do you cope?

(17 Posts)
Sickofmybody Fri 03-Feb-17 18:50:36

I've started working in an office again after a long break away. I'd forgotten how awful it is with my IBS when it flares up, which it is doing because of the stress of a new job.

I had to excuse myself today with the excuse of a migraine and take a bus to the nearest shopping centre to find a toilet. The one in the office opens into our office room. There's a guy's desk right next to it. I cannot shit there. Was nearly in tears trying to manage until I found a toilet.

What the fuck do people do? How do you manage it?

TheCustomaryMethod Fri 03-Feb-17 18:56:49

IBS and work are a horrible mix sad.

Our toilets are separate from the office area, but I feel embarrassed if I'm in them at the same time as others when I am having a bad day and tend to lurk in the cubicle until they're empty again.

My main problem is meetings, to be honest - having to dash out - I sometimes fake a coughing fit so I can rush off 'for a glass of water' as it feels less embarrassing.

PootlewasthebestFlump Fri 03-Feb-17 19:03:21

Is there a disabled access toilet elsewhere? Or is everyone meant to use that one?

I have a similar problem in one of my clinics (at a hospital) and at times have to run across the car park to other toilets if it's occupied.

In shared offices I try to use the disabled one so that I can feel less stressed without others traipsing in and out of cubicles, plus there's a sink and handrail in case I pass out or have an accident.

But if there's just the one I don't know what I would do.

Miffytastic Fri 03-Feb-17 19:09:16

Have you come across the ace blogger SoBadAss? She's lovely and I saw she wrote about and recommend a spray (poo pourri (!)) for putting in the toilet water which may help with one aspect...

missmillimentscardigan Fri 03-Feb-17 19:17:08

I'm sorry, op, and others on this thread. That sounds awful. Is there some kind of odour neutralising spray you could use?

BarbarianMum Fri 03-Feb-17 19:17:20

I have Crohns. Generally I work from home during flares. I also use the disabled toilet at work (and out and about) if I need to.

Oil sprays in the toilet bowl will help with smells if that's what you are worried about. Toilets with a window you can open are also a godsend.

Shakey15000 Fri 03-Feb-17 19:23:41

Not IBS but I have bowel prolapse and will probably end up with a colostomy bag what with my useless sphincter (nice huh?). I sometimes have to dash quickly to the toilet. I bought a small perfume spritzer thingy which fits in my pocket and comes in handy if there's a whiff. A spray into the bowl and the vicinity while it's flushing masks the smell and the flush covers the spraying noise.

RhodaBorrocks Fri 03-Feb-17 19:29:14

There's only one ladies loo at my office and I'm sometimes in there far too long! I think they've just got used to me now though. I do also make use of the disabled loos elsewhere on site, or slope off somewhere where there's more than one loo.

I don't make awful smells as such, but I often have to make sure I'm in a loo that has a toilet brush before I sit down! One had been moved from it's usual place today and I nearly had a heart attack!

Percephone Fri 03-Feb-17 19:31:14

Is there no other toilet in the building you work in? I'd be worried about getting on the bus in case I had an accident.

Screwinthetuna Fri 03-Feb-17 19:46:17

Urgh, feel for you as I'm having an awful flare at the moment.

I'd probably take some Imodium. Hope no doctors on here tell me off for this but it's better than potentially pooing your pants. Immodium actually sell 'immodium ibs', perhaps give that one a shot?

Sickofmybody Fri 03-Feb-17 19:49:25

I was worried about that too on the bus. No disabled toilet in my workplace, it's ground floor so is accessible. Just not very private.

I'm actually not worried about producing smells as such it's the fact I need 20 mins at these times so they will know. I can't do what I need to do listening to normal office banter just outside the door. Nobody's ever in the toilet more than a couple of minutes it's obvious nobody is comfortable with the idea of taking a crap there. It's fucking awful I don't know what the solution will be.

Nooneyouwilleverknow Fri 03-Feb-17 19:54:37

I work part time and dread going full time for this reason. I have to go atleast 5-6 times per day. I only work mornings and can usually manage that time without needing to go. If i get caught out i use the disabled loo but feel embarassed if someone sees me as im not disabled and feel like they judge me.

missyB1 Fri 03-Feb-17 20:02:21

Crikey the toilet provision at your work sounds a bit rubbish OP. Are there literally no other toilets in the building? None on another floor?

Coup you let your boss know about your IBS? Just so they know you might have to dash out sometimes? They might even be able to help you find a nearby toilet.

EmmaC78 Fri 03-Feb-17 20:04:48

Sorry to hear you had a stressful day OP. I sympathise. I thankfully work in a college where there are loads of toilets so if I am having a bad day I can just go for a walk and find an empty toilet somewhere and nobody notices. Not sure how I would cope in your situation to be honest.

SpaceDuck Fri 03-Feb-17 20:12:25

I really don't know what I would do in your situation OP! Sounds really stressful for you!

I usually use the disabled toilet at work and my locker is right opposite it so I can grab my bag with wipes and spray if I need too. I absolutely hate it when it's in the middle of a week day as it's sooo busy and always people walking past as it's on the way to the staff room, normal toilets and another office and all the lockers are right outside! I can usually sneak in and out undetected if I'm extra careful and wait till no ones about but sometimes I can be in there for a while just waiting for my chance to escape. I don't even know what I'd do if anyone else were in there and I really had to goshock Absolutely love night shifts when there's only about 5 people in the whole building, so can go to another floor entirely if someone is in the loo or staff room!

Flisstizzy Fri 03-Feb-17 20:14:33

Gosh, that's bad. Crohns & IBs here. Honestly, I wouldn't be able to work there or wait to go somewhere else sad
I can recommend the poo pourri spray, but I only work in big offices where there are loads of loos flowers

ItsThisOneThing Fri 03-Feb-17 20:24:00

Could you speak to your manager OP? Even if there isn't an alternative toilet and they can't arrange one, at least they'll know you have a medical condition so you don't feel so stressed at having to race out at short notice. Sounds awful, I really feel for you. We've all been there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now