Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask what the general procedures for dealing with inconsolable babies in crèche are?

(14 Posts)
Penrithtearooms Fri 03-Feb-17 12:57:24

Dc is yet to go to nursery but just like to know what happens or what should happen when a child won't stop crying after all needs are met (nappy, drink, attempt to nap, eaten etc)?

splendide Fri 03-Feb-17 13:16:57

Well the obvious omission from your list of "needs" is a cuddle!

They cuddle and distract and do everything you would try yourself. Eventually they will call parents (or a good nursery will).

watchoutformybutt Fri 03-Feb-17 13:20:42

I can only speak for my sons setting. I volunteer there so I'm in and out a lot and they will always sit and cuddle distressed kids. If they absolutely can't calm them down they'll phone the parents but they're kind and patient with the kids and they're never just left to cry.

Penrithtearooms Fri 03-Feb-17 13:28:10

Doh. Yes cuddle of course, I mean after they have tried everything.
Thank you both, I hear about babies just being left to cry, and I just think if absolutely nothing can be done, it is perfectly reasonable to call the parents. It's what I would want to happen.

splendide Fri 03-Feb-17 13:50:09

My poor brother had to go and pick his inconsolable baby (18 months) up a few times (he or SiL). It was hard but obviously they would rather that than leave him crying forever!

mambono5 Fri 03-Feb-17 13:56:02

Same thing in my kids ones, they call the parents. The staff is lovely and doesn't like children crying like that. It's upsetting for the other children anyway, so really not the best interest of anyone to leave a poor baby crying. The nursery manager told me that she only had one child in many years who could not be settled and had to be removed. All her other charges settled down eventually.

splendide Fri 03-Feb-17 13:57:25

Oh I should say my nephew settled as well! Just took a little while.

bikingintherain Fri 03-Feb-17 14:04:22

My DS was like this. Everyone told me he'd be fine when I left him at nursery but he wasn't. They had the sense to call me, and we had a more phased entry. Within two weeks he was settled, if not quite running into the arms of the staff, but at least only crying for a minute or two.

Fast forward to preschool, exactly same scenario, but again staff recognised his needs and called me on a few occasions to collect.

Both times I had to trust my instincts and the staff. They soon realised I wasn't being overly precious, but that he was genuinely sensitive and we worked together to help him adjust.

Fast forward another 18 months and he's just turned 4 and started school full time. He's completely taken it in his stride, if not bring rather overtired when he comes in. But he loves it and hasn't looked back.

Wolfiefan Fri 03-Feb-17 14:04:43

Both of my kids attended nursery part time from about 6 months. Never have I seen a child just left to cry. A child that can't be comforted by anything at all? I would assume a medical problem or illness.

Snifftest Fri 03-Feb-17 14:06:17

At DS's nursery there is a little girl there who is inconsolable most of the time. One nursery nurse basically sits cuddling and rocking her. They are really good with her, but she's crying when I leave DS and crying when I pick him up, what ever time that is. I really feel for her and the staff.

bikingintherain Fri 03-Feb-17 14:06:54

Unfortunately it wasn't medical or illness for us. Just a child who was ales a while to trust and wasn't easily distracted.

bikingintherain Fri 03-Feb-17 14:07:22

*takes a while..

splendide Fri 03-Feb-17 14:19:28

I really think good nurseries try very hard on this. Occasionally I used to pick up DS and he'd be "helping" the receptionist (scribbling on things and pressing buttons on the photocopier). He loved nursery generally but just needed some quiet time sometimes.

Penrithtearooms Fri 03-Feb-17 15:58:27

Ah I think Dc will love going once we choose one. He's generally quite happy and if he does really cry its usually because he's tired (or a bit poorly!) he's not really clingy either...thanks for all the reassurance. I think if I was the inconsolable little girls parent i might try and think of other methods of childcare that weren't so traumatic for her sad it would be hard on everyone having someone so upset!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now