Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask hairdresser to change music?

(11 Posts)
Daisypopslop Fri 03-Feb-17 12:03:53

Help I'm being tortured by awful dance type music at hairdressers I feel like my head is about to explode.
The salon owner is a very trendy 50ish year old and her son is doing something music technical at uni so think that's where she is getting her ideas.
I'm not very with it, it seems Help!

Toddlerteaplease Fri 03-Feb-17 12:06:50

YANBU I wish they'd play some nice polyphony at the hairdressers!

Fluffy40 Fri 03-Feb-17 12:30:36

How embarrasing! I think you'll have to put up with it.

user1485706893 Fri 03-Feb-17 12:38:58

I wouldn't ask. She might give you a bad haircut lol!

Oldraver Fri 03-Feb-17 12:44:52

I know a few 50 ish people who are into dance music and have passed their love onto their dc's............grin..

But any music you're not into can be irritating. At least its not generic pop or chart stuff where is the old gimmer emoticon

tkband3 Fri 03-Feb-17 12:48:18

I did ask for the music to be changed when I was having some waxing done once - but it was quite hardcore rap music with lyrics about violence towards women, so I felt justified. I did have to ask twice though - the first time I was quite gentle and just said 'I don't think this music is appropriate', to which the girl said it was her boyfriend's music choice hmm, but didn't do anything about it. The second time I said 'seriously, this music is offensive and inappropriate and I would like you to change it now'. It was changed immediately, but I've never been back to that salon!

FireInTheHead Fri 03-Feb-17 13:25:35

We all have our preferences in music but owners of businesses where people have to stay for an hour or more really have to take that on board and not impose their extreme rap/techno/death metal/jazz/bluegrass/country/opera tastes on the customers. Light classical or middle of the road poppy stuff - bland and dull but safe and inoffensive - is really the only option. Dance techno music would have me climbing the walls and a lot of rap music has lyrics that are totally unsafe and inappropriate for a salon setting.

Daisypopslop Fri 03-Feb-17 13:45:43

It was an awful beat right through me. Escaped now, feel like an out of date bore (I'm 38 and not honestly) but I cried on way out as feel so rubbish now.
Sorry having a bad day when it should be a nice relaxing day off.

FireInTheHead Fri 03-Feb-17 16:03:08

Oh, I'm sorry you're having a shit day, OP, sounds like you needed a self-esteem boost and got made to feel old and out of touch instead. 38 is no age to feel like that just because you like what you like. I wouldn't know a current billboard 100 song if it bit me if it's any consolation and it might be that the trendy 50s hairdresser is feeling that way herself and trying a bit too hard to come across all 'yoof' culture savvy and cutting edge. Hope the rest of the day goes better for you. I bet at least your new hair looks lovely.

yaela123 Fri 03-Feb-17 16:33:18

I bet your new haircut looks lovely!

I don't know (and don't like) almost all of the music my teenagers play and I'm only 6 yrs older than you (ok, maybe I am quite old)

I hope you enjoy the rest of your day

7SunshineSeven7 Fri 03-Feb-17 18:12:55

Just think of it the other way - being sat in work for 9 hours with shitty music you don't like, it always makes me feel better when I think of it that way grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now