Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not know how our washing machine works?

(27 Posts)
Tootsiepops Fri 03-Feb-17 09:08:38

Can someone who is better at being an adult explain to me where all the powders and liquids go in the washing machine please?

I have a one year old, so now have a need for stain remover and fabric softener in addition to the detergent (I use tabs, so they go in the drum with the clothes) - but what compartment is for what in the washing machine's little pull out drawer?

I have an older machine and there's no indication on it anywhere, and everyone else just seems to know.

specialsubject Fri 03-Feb-17 09:20:18

Those of us who know do so because we still have the instructions! Are they online somewhere?

Btw You don't need fabric softener, no one does. And shouldn't the powder get the stains out?

FruSkogKattOla Fri 03-Feb-17 09:23:18

I think it depends on the make of the machine what each compartment is for. Ours is a quite old Zanussi. There are three compartments in the drawer. Left hand is pre-wash, middle (which is slightly wider than the LH) is main wash and right hand (which has a lid with a series of holes in it) is the fabric softener.

Are you sure that the compartments aren't marked? It's not very obvious on ours, but if you look closely the wording is indented into the plastic.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheTimeG0es Fri 03-Feb-17 09:27:15

Ours is LH main wash (biggest hole), middle FC (smallest hole, flower symbol), RH prewash. And agree with not needing fabric conditioner, we never use it, I don't like the fragrance or how floppy it makes clothes.

mambono5 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:27:20

what brand and serie is your machine?

KanyesVest Fri 03-Feb-17 09:30:40

If you're putting tablets in the drum, I'd just chuck a scoop of vanish in the same way. I'm also a grown up.

Tootsiepops Fri 03-Feb-17 09:32:51

The machine was here when we bought the house so no instruction manual, but I will have a look online. Drawers aren't marked will check again though with my glasses on

I do think the fabric softener is making my daughter's clothes feel nicer. We're in a hard water area and sometimes stuff dries practically brittle, and her vests rub on her arms and give her a rash.

If there's a powder out there that gets the orange food stains out of white vests, I'd really like to buy it! So many ruined tops...

scaryteacher Fri 03-Feb-17 09:34:04

Disagree about not needing fabric softener. The water in Belgium is so hard that my jeans crunch if washed without it.

BabyHamster Fri 03-Feb-17 09:35:45

Try vanish oxi action for the food stains. Soak first then wash at 60, ideally with biological washing powder.

Yura Fri 03-Feb-17 09:36:16

Put them in the sun - sunny window will do. Works best in summer (obviously), but carrot/tomatoes stains magically disappeare in the sun smile

Glastonbury Fri 03-Feb-17 09:56:46

Our hotpoint is:
Left hand section - fabric conditioner
Middle section - pre wash
Right hand section - washing powder

Ethylred Fri 03-Feb-17 10:00:27

There will be a Youtube clip explaining this.

traviata Fri 03-Feb-17 10:02:09

people often suggest putting white vinegar in the rinse water to stop the crunchiness, apparently there's no vinegar smell.

strawberrypenguin Fri 03-Feb-17 10:03:45

Biggest slot is often main wash but all machines vary. In mine the left is main wash

CharlieDimmocksbosoms Fri 03-Feb-17 10:06:56

Take a photo of inside the drawer.

Floofborksnootandboop Fri 03-Feb-17 10:09:00

Are you able to post a picture?

Ohtheterribletwos Fri 03-Feb-17 10:14:53

Sunshine gets tomato baby food stains out!? Can't wait to try this now! grin

liz70 Fri 03-Feb-17 10:14:54

We have a Bosch. Viewed from above - left compartment - main wash, middle (blue with flower symbol) - fab con, and right compartment for pre wash.

TooSmittle Fri 03-Feb-17 10:29:49

If not labeled in writing, the compartments will either have numbers or symbols. 3 or the flower is for fabric softener.

I chuck a scoop of vanish straight in the drum with the washing liquid and don't ever use the prewash programs, but that's only for the whites so they don't go dull. Anything very dirty from playing I just use one of the longer, tougher cycles (cottons) and they come out fine, but this is for robust children's clothes. Don't be throwing your new cashmere sweater in on a cotton cycle because you got a dab of mayo on the sleeve! The best thing I ever found for spot stain removal was a bar of vanish soap. Dampen the fabric, squiggle the bar on it, wash like normal. Gets everything out!

On a side note - do people really not use fabric softener?? My mum always did, everyone I know well enough to have seen their washing routine does, I always do too. The odd few occasions I've run out the clothes seem rough and so much harder to iron. I never even realised it was optional!

NeedsAsockamnesty Fri 03-Feb-17 11:47:06

Often the biggest section in the drawer is for the main wash.

You can use liquid, powder, and stain remover in that section, the smallest is for softener or that in wash disinfectant stuff the smallest large section is for prewash stuff.

It is worth being mindful that it's also possible to put detergent straight into the drum unless the boys says not to

Purplestorm83 Fri 03-Feb-17 12:14:00

Vanish spray gets pretty much everything out, no need to soak etc, just spray on stain, rub fabric together for a couple of seconds and chuck in the washing machine with everything else.

CakeNinja Fri 03-Feb-17 12:19:57

I just chuck a tablet in the drum and fabric softener in the flower compartment! Always use softener otherwise my clothes feel crispy.

dementedpixie Fri 03-Feb-17 12:21:17

Take a picture of the inside. I have a large compartment for the main wash, a smaller one for prewash and then one with a removable bit that is for the fabric softener. I use washing up liquid and water on stains before washing in the machine

jcne Fri 03-Feb-17 13:28:51

I never got this lesson either. i washed everything with only softener for about 9 months when i first moved out blush i still don't get it. old machine, no manual, an aisle full of miracles in the supermarket. ¯\(ツ)/¯

PuppyMonkey Fri 03-Feb-17 13:33:34

squirt vanish spray on stains

Put a tablet in the washing machine drum

Turn on the machine

If you need full instructions just google the name and model and you can print off full written instructions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now