Talk

Advanced search

AIBU? DP's 'best friend' is is ex

(83 Posts)
Cath3081 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:03:32

Hi there,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma... not sure how to feel about my DP's so called 'best friend'.

Bit of background.... DP and I have been together 2 years and I'm 7 month pregnant with his child. We live together. He has a 'friend' who just happens to be his ex wife. They split about 8 years ago and he's had other relationships since then. He assures me that they are just friends and she is his best/closest friend because they have been through a lot together over the years. He says he sees her as a big sister and its all totally platonic.

They meet up about twice a year for a lunch and chat on the phone about once a month or so. I've never met her and these phone calls always take place when I'm not around. I've said to him that if she's such a good friend, then why haven't I met her? He just changes the topic.

Anyway, it was DP's birthday recently and he told me that his friend had sent him a message to wish him a happy birthday. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but yesterday he asked me to go in to his email to print something off. While I was in his mail, I noticed the happy birthday message and now I'm not sure what to think.

Here's a copy & paste of the message:

Hello Blackcat
Wishing you a very happy birthday - I hope all your dreams come true.
I owe you a posh lunch some place soon... (One of these (Sun)days in the near future).
Even though we are no longer part of each other's day-to-day life, you still hold a very special place in my heart and I am glad to have met you in this lifetime.
Warm hugs,
KAB xox

His reply was:
Thank you!!!! I always appreciate it. Hope to catch up at some point when ever I'm through that way over a Sunday or so when free.
Had a very quiet day yesterday as It's back to work and doing night shift..LOL
Lets Hope 2017 is a Good Year for us all and the new things that are coming our way..
Catchup Soon

Do you think I have anything to worry about here? His response seems okay to me (quite platonic), but I don't like hers - the 'black cat' thing annoys the hell out of me - apparently it's her nickname for him.

DearMrDilkington Fri 03-Feb-17 09:08:00

I don't see an issue with it at all. I think it's a sign that his a good man, if he wasn't she wouldn't be friends with him after the relationship broke down.

Patienceisvirtuous Fri 03-Feb-17 09:08:36

It does seem pretty platonic but I wouldn't like it. It does imply a degree of intimacy on her part anyway...

I've no idea what you can do though. Hopefully you'll receive some advice.

Latenightthoughts Fri 03-Feb-17 09:09:35

No problem with that at all

MrsDustyBusty Fri 03-Feb-17 09:09:36

I think those messages sound fine, friendly but not too friendly.

NeeNahh Fri 03-Feb-17 09:12:02

I think that the messages are fine but I think it's a bit odd that he's reluctant for you to meet her.

FearTheLiving Fri 03-Feb-17 09:12:36

You're definitely the one with the issues.

ambereeree Fri 03-Feb-17 09:12:59

Messages sound fine. I can understand why he hasn't introduced you tbh. Would be awfully awkward for all of you- especially her as the ex.

KateDaniels2 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:14:00

Why is this an issue now?

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 03-Feb-17 09:14:41

Looks perfectly civil, platonic and friendly to. Me. No undertones.

However, I'd want to meet her too if possible, if they are actually as close as he thinks they are. Totally understand why you'd be worried, but truly that reads like nothing to worry about.

EverythingEverywhere1234 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:15:25

She sounds a little over-gushy but tbh I wouldn't think this was anything to worry about on the face of it. They do just sound like good friends, and that, I always think, is actually a nice thing to see in ex-partners.
HOWEVER I do think that it's strange you haven't met her. I think I'd push that point a little more, just say you'd like to know your DP's best friend, I don't think that's weird.

Trifleorbust Fri 03-Feb-17 09:16:34

Those messages sound...fond. Not passionate, not naughty, not filled with repressed emotion. For now I wouldn't worry about her at all.

birdybirdywoofwoof Fri 03-Feb-17 09:17:33

I am friends with a couple of exes. The first thing (figure of speech!) I did when I was with now dh is to introduce them...
I can't understand why your DP doesn't. It seems really, really weird to me. Why doesn't he want you guys to meet?

NeedsAsockamnesty Fri 03-Feb-17 09:18:05

I would be far more concerned about someone who didn't remain friends with an ex than one who did (normal exclusions applicable).
And in all fairness I would be very reluctant to have someone who indicated they may have jealious traits coming into contact with good and trusted very valued friends.

The entire "sorry but I'm an adult who is entitled to make their own choices regarding friends and I will not allow you to isolate me from people who are a protective factor in my life" is not a great conversation to need to have

user1477282676 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:19:30

Also looks fine to me and I veer towards being a jealous type if I'm not careful. Honestly just looks like two nice people being nice.

user1477282676 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:20:10

Oh and one of my most serious exes is also in touch sporardically. We were very good friends and that's hard to erase. I do care about him....but of course I love my DH still.

JustAnotherPoster00 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:20:13

I think he doesnt want OP to meet her because OP has issues with her clearly, if she didnt why would she go and check the email? hmm

2cats2many Fri 03-Feb-17 09:20:25

Those messages sound absolutely fine.

Jealousy is a very powerful emotion, and very corrosive. How are you going to try and manage it?

Waltermittythesequel Fri 03-Feb-17 09:21:51

I think that's fine!

mumeeee Fri 03-Feb-17 09:26:11

Those messages are fine. Just nice friendly messages and completely platonic

Bloopbleep Fri 03-Feb-17 09:29:42

I think the messages are fine but I would want to meet this best friend if she's such an important part of his life. I'm friends with my ex (together 10years) And we regularly meet or hang out but I do always invite the oh along. His gf however never comes and I'm not even sure she knows we meet up which is fine as she quite literally smells. Men are odd.

Snowflakes1122 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:30:00

If he's giving you access to his email account, I don't think you've anything to be concerned about.

It doesn't sound like he is being secretive.
Unless you were snooping?

GinIsIn Fri 03-Feb-17 09:30:50

Absolutely fine! The main issue is that you don't trust him to the point you read his emails, not the content of the messages....

Katy07 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:31:29

Totally nothing to worry about. If anything it's a good thing because her (completely platonic) words show that he's a decent bloke and capable of being a really good friend. Warm hugs is platonic and note that he avoids any reciprocal ending. And using a nickname isn't a big deal (provided it's not sexual obv.)
As for the not meeting her - maybe he doesn't think you'll get on well for whatever reason and doesn't want either of you to feel awkward. Or maybe he just likes having that one part of his life that's his alone?

Katy07 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:32:35

Those messages sound...fond
Exactly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now