Talk

Advanced search

To send DD back to school after 7 days of breaking toe?

(20 Posts)
iPhone5C Fri 03-Feb-17 01:43:50

7 days ago, DD fell in gymnastics and broke her big toe. After 4 days, they did surgery (pin and screw) as she needed like 3 different opinions on wether surgery was needed or not and ended up needing a CT. it's been 3 days since the surgery and really can't take any longer off work (very important meeting tomorrow) and wondering if I'd be unreasonable to send her back into school? She is very good on crutches.

Thank you.

7SunshineSeven7 Fri 03-Feb-17 01:45:41

How old is she? Is it possible for her to stay home alone? If she has crutches and can get to the loo alone and make herself something to eat she could stay home. Getting around school on crutches is a nightmare.

iPhone5C Fri 03-Feb-17 01:47:18

She's only 9 so definitely a bit too young I think, especially with her toe. I would try and find someone to watch her, but have no luck, so don't really know what else to do!

OneMillionScovilles Fri 03-Feb-17 01:49:02

How old is she? 3 days seems a long time already unless she's in a lot of pain, as usually schools will help children work around injuries; a big toe is more serious on the balance front but if she's ok on her crutches I'd send her in (and I'm sure you've already had to explain to school, but maybe call and make sure they have support in place).

7SunshineSeven7 Fri 03-Feb-17 01:49:57

If you can give her a lift into school and talk to the school about letting her sit inside for dinner and talk about what lessons she is having/where the lessons are taking place (i.e far from eachother or upstairs).

Does your school have an isolation that she could sit in and not have to move about too much? Perhaps a friend can come and sit with her during break etc?

It really depends on how well she can move about on the crutches but my school experience was anyone on crutches got them taken off for everyone to play with! grin

iPhone5C Fri 03-Feb-17 01:50:15

3 days is because she had surgery and it was still extremely sore.

OneMillionScovilles Fri 03-Feb-17 01:50:33

Xpost. 9 is old enough to send in I think. As a primary schooler, do they have all of their lessons in the same classroom? That'd also massively help.

OneMillionScovilles Fri 03-Feb-17 01:51:32

Pain is a very good reason to keep her off - hope that came through from my post and apologies if not!

7SunshineSeven7 Fri 03-Feb-17 01:52:38

Can you go into work for just the meeting and then come home? I don't know if you feel she is old enough to leave home alone for an hour or so (I was left home alone at that age for short bursts but not sure if people still do this now).

iPhone5C Fri 03-Feb-17 01:53:22

Yes, same classroom for all lessons. They won't allow injured children to go out at break lunch and they are supervised by the school receptionists... In the waiting bit near the front (I thought that was a bit strange lmao but perfectly fine).

Thank you both!

OneMillionScovilles Fri 03-Feb-17 01:55:03

Also my school experience was anyone on crutches got them taken off for everyone to play with! grin ^^this, lol

Although thinking about it, that might be an actual concern if she isn't assertive enough to refuse if she needs them. Ymmv...

7SunshineSeven7 Fri 03-Feb-17 01:55:35

I would send her in then but if she tells you its too difficult to move about or its too painful you might have to bite the bullet and keep her home a little longer (toe surgery sounds painful to be honest!). Can you get a compression boot for her foot that doesn't go around her toes? If she can put weight on her heel that might help a lot.

OneMillionScovilles Fri 03-Feb-17 01:57:28

Same classroom is a biggie OP, and sounds like school are supportive. On balance I'd definitely send her - and please ignore my "crutch-playing" scaremongering, as it sounds like she'll be well supervised and looked after smile

iPhone5C Fri 03-Feb-17 01:57:40

Unfortunately not, she isn't allowed to put any weight on her foot yet

I think I might send her in then, thank you

OneMillionScovilles Fri 03-Feb-17 01:57:53

Come back tomorrow evening and let us know how it went 👍

7SunshineSeven7 Fri 03-Feb-17 02:00:44

If she can't put any weight on it at all I would make extra sure the school understand she can't be bumped or anything (I remember in highschool I pushed my chair in and hit the cast of a kid's broken leg blush ).

Maybe ask them to sit her on a quiet table with one friend instead of in the rabble?

CrohnicallyPregnant Fri 03-Feb-17 06:50:14

Whenever we have a child on crutches or after an op we need to do a risk assessment before they come back- if you can, I'd phone school to let them know you are bringing her in today in case one needs to be done.

The key things are avoiding her moving round the school at the same time as other kids, toilet arrangements (perhaps go with a friend who can alert staff if she needs help) and a safe place to sit in the classroom to avoid inadvertent contact.

A formal risk assessment will make sure that all staff (including any supply teachers) are aware.

Sirzy Fri 03-Feb-17 06:53:21

Do school know you are planning on sending her in? They will need to do a risk assessment to make sure they can safely accommodate her so please don't just turn up with her!

MrsHiddleston Fri 03-Feb-17 07:09:03

I broke all the toes on one foot except the big toe and was in school the next day (it was boarding school so little choice really). Having said that I didn't need surgery and I've heard the big toe is not a nice toe to break.

If on the whole she feels okay, school are aware and happy, then I'd send her in. She'll probably enjoy being the centre of attention with her crutches and tales of sporting injury.

Hope she's recovers quickly.

JanuaryMoods Fri 03-Feb-17 07:23:14

As Sirzy says don't just take her and dump her. Have a discussion with the head and the class teacher to make sure she will be safe. It seems far too soon to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now