Talk

Advanced search

To ask for your experience of day and night nurse?

(22 Posts)
PickettBowtruckle Thu 02-Feb-17 17:20:57

Yes I'm BU to post this on here but we all know it's best for traffic blush

I have a stinking cold, started yesterday. Blocked nose continuously, watery eyes, sneeze, general feel run down.

I hear you all thinking 'it's just a cold!'. Here's the fun part - I get married on Saturday!

Obviously panicking I'm going to be poorly for my wedding. Have gone and got some day and night nurse on recommendation of a friend but have googled it as not taken before and heard some horror stories of how badly it knocks people out!

I have to drive at 8am tomorrow as going to the venue, have taken one dose of the 'day' nurse now so can take the night part about half 9.

I'm stressed with wedding stuff anyway so know I'm probably overthinking this but would appreciate someone telling me it didn't kill them and it's fine, and that I'll be fine on Saturday grin

JeffJarrett Thu 02-Feb-17 17:31:00

I swear by it, always have a combo pack in the house. It's literally the only thing that can make me function when I feel like crap with a cold.

You'll be fine with the night nurse as long as you can get a decent sleep. I've only ever had problems when I've taken it too late at night and feel like I've been hit with a sledgehammer! It does knock you out, but that helps you recover too.

Good luck for Saturday smile

pinkieandperkie Thu 02-Feb-17 17:31:20

Sorry you are poorly, my dh has had a cold for days and is really rough with so I feel for you.

Honestly, night nurse does give you a good night sleep but it makes me really drowsy the following day and spaced out. I also struggle to get up in the morning after taking it. If I were in your shoes I probably wouldn't take it. Take paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Good luck with your wedding.

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Thu 02-Feb-17 17:32:27

Only taken night nurse once, years ago. I slept 14 hours. Dunno about day nurse. I'm currently at that stage of a stinker, if I have to get through busy time, I use sudafed cold tabs and otravine nasal spray. (Not all the time just to blast it in emergency). Lots of fluids, blisteze in the little tube on lips and nose(stings but helps). Hopefully you'll be past the sneezy stage soon. Good luck! flowers 🍾

Fayrazzled Thu 02-Feb-17 17:33:58

Night nurse made me feel terribly nauseous. I wouldn't risk it TBH. Did make me sleep though!

boobyooby Thu 02-Feb-17 17:36:40

Night Nurse makes me feel not quite connected with the real world the following day and I find it difficult to wake up in the morning. Day Nurse is no problem.

What about trying Sudafed? For me it dries everything up to the point of I can nearly forget I have a heavy cold.

GeneralTFuckup Thu 02-Feb-17 17:38:03

I swear by day and night nurse when I have a stinking cold. Nothing else seems to be anywhere near as good. No harm in trying it OP, perhaps take a slightly reduced dose to make sure it agrees with you?

Specialagentblond Thu 02-Feb-17 17:39:24

I find night nurse can make me groggy if I take 2. Maybe take one tablet and that should be enough to get a good nights sleep. Day nurse is fab. Hope you feel better soon x

Starlight2345 Thu 02-Feb-17 17:39:30

I take night nurse..It knocks me out..What about taking a dose tonight at least you will get a good nights sleep.

I agree get an early night with it. I find the medicine more sedative than the tablets no idea why.

CripsSandwiches Thu 02-Feb-17 17:45:52

I feel groggy for 12-14 hours after a full dose of night nurse. Could you take it at 6pm and get a super early night. Day nurse has caffeine so helps combat next day grogginess.

PickettBowtruckle Thu 02-Feb-17 17:50:34

Thank you all! I think half dose sounds like a good idea, so I'll only take 1 tablet instead of 2 and should be enough to help me sleep without the next day grogginess (I hope!)

britnay Thu 02-Feb-17 17:58:09

If she has just taken day nurse then she can't take night nurse before 4 hours time. I tend to take half a dose and that is more than enough for me.

WhiteCaribou Thu 02-Feb-17 18:04:01

I swear by Day/Night Nurse too. You can only buy it at the pharmacy counter so I assume (possibly wrongly!) that is has stronger/better ingredients than the ones that you can get in eg Tescos etc. I do find the Night Nurse knocks me out so I take one Night Nurse capsule and one Day Nurse at bedtime instead of two Night and that works a treat. Good night's sleep but I don't feel groggy for hours the next day.

Hillingdon Thu 02-Feb-17 18:25:14

I would take the liquid. Very different from the tablets and I don't know why!

Scholes34 Thu 02-Feb-17 18:36:58

I finally succumbed to medication two weeks into a a very bad cold over Christmas. As Mucron is no longer available (that stuff was excellent for drying up a cold but has been withdrawn), the pharmacist recommended Day/Night Nurse. I was a bit worried about the effect the Night Nurse might have on me, as I was due to do a long drive after what would be the second dose, but it was fine. It did help me sleep, but didn't knock me out and I functioned perfectly well the next day. I did take the entire course and the cold soon cleared up.

Best of luck for Saturday.

PS Can anyone procure supplies of Mucron? Am willing to pay a good price. Am not surprised it was withdrawn. I hear it was because of side-effects in young women - there has to be a downside with anything that good.

Olivialoves Wed 08-Feb-17 17:14:00

@scholes34

Mucron is pseudoephedrine & paracetamol.
Get Sudafed- brown tablets, you have to ask for them, they aren't on the shelf. they don't contain paracetamol, just pseudoephedrine, so just take it separately.
the ones on the shelf contain phenylephrine, which i find aren't as good!

Name7 Wed 08-Feb-17 17:26:16

Get some honey down you. Coats the throats and has other goodies. Keep away from dairy as it will make all the gunk and phlegm worse. Vicks vaporub on chest, back and feet. Try and put head over steaming water and have a bowl in your bedroom by the radiator. Earliest night possible with night nurse .
Good luck!! Hope everything is well for Saturday!

Name7 Wed 08-Feb-17 17:27:33

Ooh also those nasal sprays such as otrivine are good but don't overdose on them. And only for 3 days

Runny Wed 08-Feb-17 17:30:24

Night Nurse is amazing. It knocks you out and then you reslly do feel better. Only thing is makes you feel like a zombie for a good few hours after you wake up. I don't take it unless I know I don't need to drive the next morning.

tiggytape Wed 08-Feb-17 17:35:54

I noticed on the Night Nurse packaging it now says something like: "new advice for drivers (see leaflet inside)". I wasn't buying it so couldn't read the new advice but it might be wise not to take it if you've never had it before if you have to be up very early the next day to drive.

Gottagetmoving Wed 08-Feb-17 17:36:07

Night Nurse syrup is brilliant. I have taken it the last 3 nights because I have a really bad cold.. and slept better than when I am not ill.
I don't feel too groggy the morning after either.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 08-Feb-17 17:43:22

We've been mainlining it for the last week we've been SO poorly with colds!

It's fab but take half a dose!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now