Talk

Advanced search

or is there too many rude music videos on music channels during the day?

(17 Posts)
FireFaerie Mon 26-Feb-07 16:44:58

When im tidying i had gotten into a routine of putting one of the freeview music video channels on in the background. DS loves to dance about the living room like a loon, getting excercise and watching the bands playing the drums/guitars and i get some sort of noisy beat to keep me motivated.
Now i know i could put the radio on, and have recently started doing that but only as i have noticed that half the vidoes have nearly naked ladies in them girating and suggestions i would rather not have my 5 &a 1/2 year old son see!
It really grates as i hate change and for some reason and dont really like the choice of chat and music on the radio, but my main concern is has this (whilst i hadnt noticed) already impacted on my sons view of women, and shouldnt there be some sort of harsher ruling as to what should be shown on these channels during the day?
This has turned into a right ol' ramble, so sorry all, but i just had to get it out of my system. DP thinks im being extreme.

FireFaerie Mon 26-Feb-07 17:14:23

Maybe either im the only one who feels like this, or my appalling grammar and spelling has acted as a repellant on this thread...

fryalot Mon 26-Feb-07 17:15:12

I totally agree.

Don't have them on any more. If I want music, I have the radio on.

TerraCloud Mon 26-Feb-07 19:25:57

DP and I have blocked certain tv stations for those same reasons. my dsks are a little older (dsd 10 yrs and dss 12) however it does not really do any good as my dsk's bm let's them do, listen or watch whatever they want; calling my dp and I 'pathetic'.

Sorry - how are we being pathetic when we get calls from daycare about dsd doing a lap dance for a boy - french kissing and bump n' grind.... my dsd is in year 4...

I agree 100% with you FF that it gives boys a bad image of how to treat women.

Let the kids have their childhood. They grow up far too fast as it is. Anything above PG13 rating has been restricted

LoveMyGirls Mon 26-Feb-07 19:32:08

Yes its outrageous and im not an old fuddy duddy type im only 25 and love dance music and still get asked for ID everywhere i go!

Dd1 is 7 and i have to make her listen to magic or she copies the "dance!!!!" moves!!!!!!!

LoveMyGirls Mon 26-Feb-07 19:33:21

I dont have a radio in this house. I guess i could get it on the pc somehow but its easier to put VH1 on.........

LoveMyGirls Mon 26-Feb-07 19:34:49

Terra - you mean they have already put restrictions on? OMG i havent noticed any!

TerraCloud Mon 26-Feb-07 19:42:37

Lovemygirls - my DP and I have restricted the channels on our home cable box to allow only PG13 shows. If we want to watch something that is above the PG13 rating, we enter a password.

I am not an old prim/proper gal either and I like listening to hip hop and dance music and dancing with my dsd in the living room - I just don't think it is appropriate for my dsd wanting to dress in short tops and tight pants singing "my humps" as she is shaking it infront of her mirror...

...mind you, I have to hide my chuckles when I catch her dancing, but her dad does not see the humour...

batters Mon 26-Feb-07 20:00:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fryalot Mon 26-Feb-07 20:01:49

lovemygirls - do you have sky? if so, you can access radio through the sky box. Don't know about freeview though.

TerraCloud Mon 26-Feb-07 20:11:35

Then there is the 'bling' image - all these gangsta boys and all the toys and rude behaviour... not what we want dss to aspire to... my dp and I are so thankful that he plays hockey! We just want the children to enjoy what little childhood they have left.

LowFatMilkshake Mon 26-Feb-07 20:14:40

I agree with you FF. My friends DD and DS love modern music (I try and restrict DD to DHs old Stock Aitken and Waterman stuff )

We went round to friends yesterday and the girls went upstairs to play. They played popstars and my friends DD was Madonna - she came down in a swimming costume which she had pulled up the crack of her bum, copying a Madonna video she knows . She is 5, thankfully DD being 3 is more into using a microphone than giving herself a wedgy. But we dont have music channels on in this house when she is up for that reason. If she wants to dance we put Singin in the Rain on DVD or SAW CD on!

We used to watch music videos on Tinypop, but they dont seem to play those anymore, beside which even the Barbie Girl video if okay - the lyrics are a bit risky for children, "beg on my knees" etc.

midnightexpress Tue 27-Feb-07 15:50:29

Couldn't agree more FF. Not sure if this story is true, but I was to hear that Tesco's website were selling poles (ie for pole dancing) in their toys section before Xmas. I was told that they had so many complaints that they had to remove them, but sad sign of the times if it's true. And I don't think you're being extreme - after all, the earlier kids are exposed to that sort of thing the more 'normal' it becomes for them, surely? Horrid.

madmarchhare Tue 27-Feb-07 15:52:34

Yep, its all tits and arse

@ poles in tesco if true

doormat Tue 27-Feb-07 15:53:09

you are getting too old
start gyrating round yourself when they come on
good exercise anyweay

bobsyouruncle Tue 27-Feb-07 16:04:56

I was telling my friend the other day how guilty I felt that dd & ds watch so much cbeebies, & she said "oh my dd (3) doesn't watch that rubbish, she prefers the music video channels". I said some of those are well dodgy though, I think we'll stick to cbeebies! She was a bit miffed and I felt guilty for saying it but this thread has made me feel much better!

midnightexpress Tue 27-Feb-07 20:45:28

Don't get me wrong doormat, it's not pole dancing per se that I object to: all for a good wriggle, me, but don't think it's OK for a pre-pubescent girl is all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: