Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be utterly appalled by these apps?

(13 Posts)
becsparkel Wed 01-Feb-17 21:11:32

I honestly had no idea that these things existed. These are plastic surgery “games” aimed at girls, where you can perform various procedures, from liposuction to botox fillers. I feel so disheartened with what our children have to contend with these days, in relation to body image and self esteem.

This is the description on one of the apps:
"No one could resist the temptation of beauty! Every girl dreams of delicate face and stunning figure. If makeup can’t give the beauty you want, then come to join this amazing plastic surgery game! You can turn into a Victoria’s secret model at once! You can never miss this game to become a butterfly from a cocoon!
This is a girls' game & casual game & fashion game & kids game!"

You can see how awful they are via the petition but I'll try to post an image here too. There’s a campaign to ask Apple etc to remove them, Please consider signing:
Petition here

Birdsgottafly Wed 01-Feb-17 21:18:55

Thanks for sharing.

I've never come across "Endangered bodies", it's a much needed organisation.

becsparkel Wed 01-Feb-17 23:11:57

Yes, endangered bodies are a great organisation.

Here's an image. They are totally repulsive angry

NassauBeach Wed 01-Feb-17 23:21:36

That is disgusting!! How incredibly creepy and insidious. I have signed the petition.

becsparkel Thu 02-Feb-17 21:55:09

Thanks for signing.

becsparkel Fri 03-Feb-17 20:24:57

It's up to 11k now. Please keep signing!

Astoria7974 Fri 03-Feb-17 23:57:52

My neice loves it. Says she's going to become a plastic surgeon lol

becsparkel Sat 04-Feb-17 12:59:54

Do you think they are ok then Astoria?

Floggingmolly Sat 04-Feb-17 13:03:38

Grotesque idea hmm

CandODad Sat 04-Feb-17 13:03:47

Why wouldn't they be okay? There are WII games where you act as a surgeon etc so why not a plastic surgeon? Will there a a petition for the solider ones too? Or the business sim ones?

What I can't understand is, why in this day and age, if a small proportion of people disagree about something minor then they whip up a petition and try to create a social media and internet sensation from it. All that will happen is the app gets more publicity.

Astoria7974 Sat 04-Feb-17 17:56:11

Of course they're okay. Parents do have an input into their daughters lives you know - when she asked why these women needed 'operations' I educated her about surgery and medicine & how v important plastic surgery is by googling how doctors help burns victims (school was going through fire safety at the time).

becsparkel Sun 05-Feb-17 20:18:32

But a lot of these are about changing facial features or using liposuction to comply with beauty ideals. They aren't about treating patients with burns. Wouldn't you want your daughter to think beyond this kind of narrow idea that being beautiful is about a particular look - or that she has to go through a medical procedure to get it?

Do you really think that they can play something like this and not look in the mirror and question their appearance? It's totally subversive.

I'm not too keen on soldier games but I think this is a lot worse. And yes! When we don't agree with something, we create a petition!grinwine

cariadlet Sun 05-Feb-17 20:53:47

I've never heard of these before - they're awful. My dd went through a stage of loving make-up and dress-up apps. I thought they were pretty rubbish, but didn't stop her playing with them. These on a completely different level.

I've signed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now