Talk

Advanced search

Artists doorstepping you....

(12 Posts)
OCSockOrphanage Wed 01-Feb-17 19:51:24

We have just been doorstepped by a "deaf mute artist", selling prints of his work door to door. We live in a remote rural area in a nice house. I told DS to give the vendor £1 and say no thanks. My DH says it's a scam and the artist is neither deaf nor dumb, just begging, and that there are several in the village targeting houses like ours, who will give out of guilt so they go away quickly, but who are brought here by gang masters collecting the money. Which side of the fence do you fall?

PlayOnWurtz Wed 01-Feb-17 19:52:16

It's a scam

QueenMortificado Wed 01-Feb-17 19:53:13

There have been other threads on this before

It's not really a scam if he's selling his prints and you like them and want to buy them

I wouldn't buy something if I didn't want it and also wouldn't just give them money to get them to go away either

"Gang masters" sounds very midsummer murders!

DJBaggySmalls Wed 01-Feb-17 19:57:39

Well the last one that called here didnt understand any British Sign Language at all, just went red and fucked off.
I'm not saying yours is the same person.

TarragonChicken Wed 01-Feb-17 19:59:21

I wouldn't give anything. I'd suspect a scam.

I may be a suspicious bitch, though. <shrugs>

OCSockOrphanage Wed 01-Feb-17 20:06:01

I suspect all sorts of things, probably staring with having my lawn mower stolen! But on the off chance that it's legit, I'd rather waste the pound. The person may be begging to pay for a place to stay, and there won't be many options here without cash.

TheNiffler Wed 01-Feb-17 20:09:51

They're not 'his' prints, they're mass produced, neither are they deaf and dumb, and it's an organised scam - same as the teatowels and dish cloths 'just out of prison'. Probably the samebpeople too.

Police here ask to be notified of them.

TheNiffler Wed 01-Feb-17 20:10:58

And you'd rather waste the pound, but what about the OAP down the road living off a pension?

Please don't support them.

DearMrDilkington Wed 01-Feb-17 20:13:10

I was sorting the front garden out and had one standing at my gate signing to me. I nearly jumped out of my skin, no idea how long he'd been there for.

I didn't buy any artwork.

PotOfYoghurt Thu 02-Feb-17 00:04:10

It's a scam, a very well known and very common one.

LALALALALAND Thu 02-Feb-17 00:11:12

On the wobbly wobbly millennium bridge a changing woman (i.e. a team) sits with her paintings. She paints oils on her hands, . She sit with brushes and a box of paints and charges tourists a fortune for a mass produced print. No painting involved.

Th police do nothing.

Sounds similar.

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 02-Feb-17 00:16:37

It is a scam. Same thing here in Somerset. Several burglaries and we got leaflets through the door from the police about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now