Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours Washing Machine

(7 Posts)
OhhOuch Wed 01-Feb-17 17:48:42

I'm working from home today and my upstairs neighbours are on their 6th load of washing since 4:30am this morning!! It's been pretty much constant for over 12 hours and their washing machine backs onto the wall right above my bed iyswim!

They've got form for doing a load in the middle of the night (think 2am) but it's never been like this! I've asked them in the corridor before if they could try not to do their washing so early in the morning but this has apparently fallen on deaf ears.

I tried knocking a couple of hours ago to ask when they'd be finished but I was just met with the sound of giggling on the other side of the door. I'd expect that sort of behaviour from teenagers instead of two women in their late 30s!

AIBU? Any ideas on how to get it to stop? The constant noise is driving me insane!

NC1nightstand Wed 01-Feb-17 17:58:06

So, is it just them living there or do they have small children as well. I just assumed you were going to say they have a baby or young children and that was why the washing was on so much. I must admit I have to do my washing very late at night but I don't have neighbours that close. Do they work odd hours or shifts that mean they can't do their washing earlier?
I must say they sound very childish OP, is there any more to it, have you fallen out in the past?

Unsure123456 Wed 01-Feb-17 18:00:01

Really loud bassy music with speakers directed against their bedroom walls. You can play it up til 11pm with no issue so do this tonight and they might get the hint. Plus a note through the door explaining you work from home you've asked them not to use their noisy machine so early so please stop it!

user892 Wed 01-Feb-17 18:03:14

No, don't retaliate FFS Unsure. Do the flats have economy 7?

Short of approaching them again, or trying to report them to noise abatement, there's not a lot you can do apart from move your bed and get earplugs (or move). Do you rent or own?

Snowflakes1122 Wed 01-Feb-17 18:03:42

That's a lot of washing-are they running a laundry cleaning service or something? confused

mambono5 Wed 01-Feb-17 18:03:54

It's so rude to use a machine in the night when you live in a flat. There's not much you can say about it being used during the day. You could try asking if they could move it, but depending on the way the flats are designed, it might not even be possible.

I like Unsure123456 advice, but starting a war against your upstairs neighbours is dangerous. You will always be the one suffering the most.

OhhOuch Wed 01-Feb-17 18:44:52

Thanks so much for your responses! Other than taking in a few parcels for them, and on one occasion two months ago asking them to try and be more considerate with their washing machine when they came to get their parcel we've had no contact with them. For some reason we've noticed that they like to start rearrange their furniture in the middle of the night, no idea why!

No children that I'm aware of, my flat mate has a small dd but she's a quiet as a mouse and out of the house 7am-7pm on most days so I highly doubt that we're disturbing them in turn! (And besides I'd be mortified and attempt to recitify the situation if I thought we were!)

I'm not going to start a war with them but I've just popped a very polite note under their door, either they've ignored it or not seen it yet because I've just heard the washing machine door slam and another load go in confused

I own, but they probably rent as I think most people do in this building.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now