Talk

Advanced search

British Gas have ruined my carpet

(16 Posts)
MoragWilson Wed 01-Feb-17 13:56:13

AIBU to complain that the engineer who fitted my new boiler has damaged my carpet? Boiler is in the dining room; fawn carpet now marked with red brick dust around the edges of a corner of the room. He had a few sheets down but was not that careful and now I have horrible dark red marks on my 6 month old carpet. He said he's cleaned it up as best he can and you have to expect some mess when doing work like this hmm ABIU to complain?

Katy07 Wed 01-Feb-17 14:04:14

Perfectly reasonable to complain. Yes you have to expect some mess but as he knows in advance how much mess it makes (and you don't) then it's his responsibility to ensure that the mess like this is prevented or warn you so that you can make preparations yourself. A bit of dust on surfaces that can be wiped up is one thing, red brick dust on the carpet is another.

monkeywithacowface Wed 01-Feb-17 14:05:42

Complain, should be covered under their liability insurance

MoragWilson Wed 01-Feb-17 14:06:50

That's what I think Katy07 Actually quite upset about this.

PotatoMcKale Wed 01-Feb-17 14:09:37

A plumber dropped his blow torch on our carpet and then tried to cover up the massive singed hole hmm he/his insurance paid for a new one

Fintress Wed 01-Feb-17 14:11:33

Take photographs and ask to speak to the area manager, tell him you want a visit. We had a massive disaster which they caused in our kitchen and had to compensate us.

SoupDragon Wed 01-Feb-17 14:11:41

I've always found brick dust hoovers up when I've been drilling.

londonrach Wed 01-Feb-17 14:12:14

British gas broke my light. They paid for that. Sent a letter with the bill to head office.

Liiinoo Wed 01-Feb-17 14:25:42

Yes, complain. If the work was liable to make a mess he should have explained it and asked for your permission to pull back the carpet in the vicinity. An BG engineer did something not dissimilar in our house once. I rang up and complained and it was all made good very quickly.

ImNotDancing Wed 01-Feb-17 14:31:49

can't you just hoover it? hmm

19lottie82 Wed 01-Feb-17 14:33:04

ImNotDancing I guess the OP had already tried that hmm

ImNotDancing Wed 01-Feb-17 14:35:01

He said he's cleaned it up as best he can and you have to expect some mess when doing work like this

kind of implies he's cleaned but op hasn't

cushioncovers Wed 01-Feb-17 14:37:16

Red brick dust should just vacuum up. Have you vacuumed op?

19lottie82 Wed 01-Feb-17 17:16:23

If the OP says the carpet is "ruined" then I'm pretty sure it's not a case of just hoovering up some dust!

AndShesGone Wed 01-Feb-17 17:22:15

It doesn't just Hoover up as there's usually water drips mingled in with it. It ruined my last carpet, wouldn't come out even with professional cleaning. We replaced it with wooden flooring at our own cost as we weren't attached to the carpet.

cushioncovers Wed 01-Feb-17 18:44:21

Well it's not just dust then is it hmmdust is dry and would vacuum up so it must be something else. But the op said it was red brick dust.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now