Talk

Advanced search

To think Jehovah's Witnesses can become a bit of an annoyance

(263 Posts)
UnbelievablyChocolatey Wed 01-Feb-17 11:21:34

There are two ladies that often come round our estate. There are many others that also come, but this particular couple are the ones who seem to call the most.
As I'm a SAHM I'm usually at home when they call. I would never be deliberately rude to them, but I'm getting a bit annoyed by them continually coming to my house. They know I've recently had a baby as the first time they came I was pregnant. They even turned up the day I went into labour and DH answered the door to them!

Last time I saw them they were hinting at coming inside to meet the baby. How on earth do I politely tell them I'm not interested? Some of the others who have been don't seem to take no for an answer!

DJBaggySmalls Wed 01-Feb-17 11:22:30

YANBU, put a blood and organ donor poster in your front window and they wont knock again.

Mol1628 Wed 01-Feb-17 11:23:37

Just say you're not interested and please don't call again. You've got to be direct or they usually don't get the message.

CaraAspen Wed 01-Feb-17 11:25:42

Posters in window and do not answer the door to them ever again. These people are a pita.

UnbelievablyChocolatey Wed 01-Feb-17 11:26:15

I feel awful as they do seem like nice ladies and I don't want to offend them sad

CaraAspen Wed 01-Feb-17 11:27:08

Oh and if you do inadvertently answer the door to find them there, be rude to them. It's the only language they know.

custardy Wed 01-Feb-17 11:27:17

They don't seem to mind potentially offending you though, do they?

Cherryskypie Wed 01-Feb-17 11:27:33

As to be put on the no call list. It's a thing.

CaraAspen Wed 01-Feb-17 11:27:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

UnbelievablyChocolatey Wed 01-Feb-17 11:27:58

I have to wonder, have they actually ever managed to get anyone to join them through knocking on doors?

toogoodtobetruex Wed 01-Feb-17 11:28:55

Yeah it's one of those where you're going to have to be a bit abrupt because if you're smiley and say something like 'sorry not now', they take that as an invite to come another time.

Also if anyone suggests getting one of those stickers that says we don't answer the door to cold callers or whatever, they don't work for me. People still knock on our door trying to sell me meat (which I'm sure is a scam but that's another story) or try signing me up for their religion/charity. So now I just say 'I don't deal with anyone who cold calls, sorry' and shut the door.

I try not to answer the door anymore unless I'm expecting a parcel, which is awkward because my living room window is right next to the front door so they can see me sat on the sofa. I just shake my head and try not to make eye contact!

ErrolTheDragon Wed 01-Feb-17 11:30:52

They're known for targeting vulnerable people. New mum at home a lot with a baby?

Tell them you don't want them to call again. 'I'm not interested, please don't waste my time and yours'. If they do persist, well, they clearly have no basic respect for you so don't feel obliged to show them any.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 01-Feb-17 11:36:41

I have to wonder, have they actually ever managed to get anyone to join them through knocking on doors?

Yes, the mother of someone we know was going through a tough time for various reasons (iirc because of something bad with a more conventional church) was sucked right in.

Maudlinmaud Wed 01-Feb-17 11:37:02

Polite? Obviously you haven't had a full conversation with them ...yet.
Just wait until they tell you, you're damned and will burn in the fires of hell.
Disclaimer may not be jw who tell you this, but still, why take the chance.

user892 Wed 01-Feb-17 11:50:55

Only ever answer the door to people you are expecting! No good can come of anything else ;)

Lweji Wed 01-Feb-17 11:53:44

Don't they usually ask if you believe in god?

Tell them you're a vampire devil worshiper. Kudos if you can keep a straight face.

Invite them in.

Aebj Wed 01-Feb-17 11:53:52

You can ask to be put on a 'do not knock ' list. My mum did this some years ago. They never returned

Snowflakes1122 Wed 01-Feb-17 11:54:50

Just don't answer the door to them.

They'll take the hint (eventually)

Cinderpi Wed 01-Feb-17 11:56:34

Produce a Bible and debate. They've not been back since! I do have some respect for them though - I get nervous knocking on the doors of people I actually know, let alone strangers who may be hostile!

happilyahousewife Wed 01-Feb-17 11:57:08

Ask to be put on the no calls list. And put a sign up to say no cold callers. I was raised LDS & if we saw those signs or the people asked us to not call again we would politely say " sorry to have bothered you " & leave, then put them on the no caller list.

EagleIsland Wed 01-Feb-17 11:57:35

My grandmother would open the door yell "I am Catholic, go away!" It works very well

RJnomore1 Wed 01-Feb-17 11:57:50

Yes they sucked my mum in 40 odd years ago after her second miscarriage by knocking on her door. Then my dad. They tend to be nice people but do not engage! Their religion is very dangerous and damaging.

KoolKoala07 Wed 01-Feb-17 11:59:04

Urgh so annoying! My husband always answers and is very polite. I ask him why he's answers. He always says he doesn't think. I just ignore the door.

MalletsMallets Wed 01-Feb-17 12:00:59

I've got some who knock at my door, they bring their tiny kids out in all weathers, dressed in their finest clothes.
I think I was a bit too friendly as they keep coming back

NavyandWhite Wed 01-Feb-17 12:01:02

Just say I'm not interested thank you and close the door. If you see them walking down the path don't answer it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now