Advanced search

AIBU to think a driving licence with my photo is a valid form of ID?

(51 Posts)
OdinsLoveChild Wed 01-Feb-17 09:52:16

Ive been job hunting and have been asked to provide my up to date passport to confirm my identity.
My passport ran out years ago and is in my maiden name anyway.
I gave them my recent (5 years old) up to date photo driving licence which clearly states my name, date of birth and place of birth confirming my nationality and my identity, I have a really lovely photo too so they can see I'm the person on the licence.

They said they cannot accept it because its not an official form of ID.

They will take a birth certificate with no photo and with a completely different name from the one I have been using for 40+ years though to confirm my identity. confused

Surely my driving licence is acceptable? angry Ive got into a stupid argument over it where the young person dealing with my application will not even go and ask her supervisor if its ok to accept.

AIBU to think my driving licence is far more valid than my ancient birth certificate in a completely different name. hmm
Am I also being unreasonable to think common sense really should be applied in this instance?

harderandharder2breathe Wed 01-Feb-17 09:53:05

I expect its to confirm nationality rather than identity

user892 Wed 01-Feb-17 09:54:05

YANBU. You can buy a house with a valid photocard driving licence and recent utility bill hmm

Maybe it's more about dubious immigration concerns?

gamerchick Wed 01-Feb-17 09:54:33

It's probably to prove where you were born. Anyone can get a driving license.

user892 Wed 01-Feb-17 09:55:16

But yes - driving licence shows your place of birth anyway...

gamerchick Wed 01-Feb-17 09:55:19

And anybody can buy a house.

PurpleMcPants Wed 01-Feb-17 09:55:31

That sounds bizarre. Do you have a copy of your birth certificate though? I'd just supply that if that's what they asked for, their problem if your name is different. I'd be in the exact same position, I didn't renew my passport when it expired so only have a driving license and birth certificate.

Mia1415 Wed 01-Feb-17 09:56:24

I'm an HR Manager and there is a Government list of approved ID's. It is to check that you are legally allowed to work in the UK. The company are in the right. They could be heavily fined for not completing the right checks. If you don't have a passport, you will need to provide a birth certificate and proof of NI number. If the birth certificate is in a different name, they should also see evidence of the name change. Don't get into an argument over it. The company are doing the right thing and exactly the same as any other company would (and should do)

Mia1415 Wed 01-Feb-17 09:58:17

I'm not sure if this link will work - but this is the required list

user892 Wed 01-Feb-17 09:58:31

there is a Government list of approved ID's

is photocard driving licence not on it?

puddock Wed 01-Feb-17 09:59:13

It's to prove eligibility to work in the UK.

senua Wed 01-Feb-17 09:59:41

There is an Official List but I am a bit confused. It says that the old-style driving licence is a form of ID but I thought that the paper licence was scrapped now?

AlexanderHamilton Wed 01-Feb-17 10:00:23

A photo card driving licence is not on the list. Employers don't make the rules they have to follow the procedure set out by the government.

AlexanderHamilton Wed 01-Feb-17 10:02:56

The list senua linked to is incorrect or rather it's a list of documentation accepted for a different kind of ID check for stuff involving money like opening a bank account or legal services.

The list linked to by Mia above is the one employers have to use when taking on new employees.

AlexanderHamilton Wed 01-Feb-17 10:05:44

And arguing with the 'young person' over asking her manager will just get you a bad name from the start. No point asking her manager when the rules are crystal clear.

lokisglowstickofdestiny1 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:08:18

There are 2 distinct checks - your right to work here - and a driving licence isn't valid proof and money laundering checks - where a photo driving licence is valid.

AlexanderHamilton Wed 01-Feb-17 10:13:47

And if someone asked me to check with my supervisor id be most offended considering its me who did all the research & set up our company's checking system as my manager in payroll/HR has no knowledge of that sort of thing & passes it all onto me.

Poppins2016 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:14:18

My job involves some HR work.

I ask new employees to bring in their passport as proof of their right to work in the UK. If they can't provide an up to date passport, I ask for their full birth certificate along with documentation providing their name and NI number (the P45 from the former employer is sufficient).

This is in accordance with government guidelines:

It sounds as though the (possibly inexperienced) employee that you're dealing with is doing the right thing, but not stating the right reasons. It's not proof of ID she's after but proof of your right to work in the UK.

Poppins2016 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:16:06

Cross posted with the above - must learn to type faster... smile

NewIdeasToday Wed 01-Feb-17 10:17:45

I wouldn't worry too much as your chance of getting the job will be low if you've got into an argument with staff in the organisation already.

However you will find that the same rules apply wherever you apply for a job. So you might want to think about how you work with people rather than just assuming that you know better than them.

AlexanderHamilton Wed 01-Feb-17 10:22:23

I wish there was a like button on here for NewIdeas post

Otherpeoplesteens Wed 01-Feb-17 10:40:50

For the purposes of proving you have the right to work in the UK, a driving license, unfortunately, doesn't cut the mustard.

For situations where there is no predetermined list of what is acceptable and what isn't, there is a wider problem which is immensely frustrating. I have had a valid EU national identity card rejected as ID before when I wanted to rent a van and didn't have a valid passport, yet somehow my water bill was deemed acceptable. I was born in a part of the world where my birth registration document (which is in English as well as 'forrin', by the way) is not called "birth certificate" or anything like that and it has not been accepted. However, a birth certificate from an EU consulate, issued when I was 12 and only valid for six months, and without a word of English on it, somehow is acceptable.

It baffles me that we're so obsessed with immigration, the right to work, benefit fraud/entitlement and so on in this Brexit world, yet we're so resistant to the idea of a national identity card.

Blobby10 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:41:18

This identity lark is really tough on people who don't drive and don't travel overseas! Or have gone paperless with utility bills to 'save the environment' as advised by Government as the bills you print off often arent acceptable as 'anyone could print that off'!! You have to have an original!

OdinsLoveChild Wed 01-Feb-17 10:43:51

NewIdeasToday I don't think I know better then them.

When asked to provide proof of my name, date and place of birth and I give it to them I don't expect them to say its not suitable but a birth certificate in a completely different name is acceptable.

I was not asked to provide a marriage certificate or copy of my deed poll/change of name, they actually said they it doesn't matter that my birth certificate is in a different name confused.

None of it made any sense to me and no-one attempted to explain other than they need it for ID. That's what I gave them, ID. I got cross because she said she needed a form of ID and I was standing there with ID that she wouldn't ask her supervisor if it was an OK piece of ID. angry

No one mentioned being entitled to work in the country but as I'm born here (as stated on my ID) I assumed I was entitled to work here. hmm

DJBaggySmalls Wed 01-Feb-17 10:48:07

YANBU, its batshit. You had to prove who you were to obtain the drivers licence. the birth certificate could belong to anyone for all they know.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: