Talk

Advanced search

Mid sleepers with tunnels

(34 Posts)
Pankhurst09 Tue 31-Jan-17 22:17:50

I have just bought a midsleeper for my daughter. It came with tent and slide and tunnel. She is 5 years and 6 months. I absolutely appreciate the concerns about safety regarding the bed being higher than before, the slide being effectively a 'toy' feature and also something to be aware of.

Where I have the real issue is the tunnel. The bed went up yesterday, it got the response I had hoped for when my daughter walked in from school and saw it!! Amazing 😍 I had paid for a joiner to fit it all with safety in mind. When I got up there last night to read a story (that was a sight and workout in itself 😉) I was really concerned by the extremely hard metal bars that held the tunnel together. So, tonight I made a point of saying, "just be careful of those bars" two seconds later she adjusted herself in bed, knocked just under her eye, was very upset and distressed and ended up with a fairly sore bruise.

Obviously in light of what had just happened, in I come with a screwdriver, a number of choice words and an undignified struggle to get said tent directly off the midsleeper otherwise I'd never forgive myself if the little one woke in the middle of the night and did some more serious damage by unwittingly clunking her little head off the extremely hard metal frame.

The reason I'm posting on here is because I'm A-genuinely concerned that another wee one might get a serious injury and B- I've looked on google etc... and can't find any other obvious complaints, which I find really hard to believe after what I witnessed tonight and the subsequent undignified removal of the tunnel. I genuinely can't understand how these tunnels pass safety regulations? If you put a hard metal frame above my bed right at head height I'd do myself an injury! Never mind a little one who usually has a more disturbed sleep/less spatial awareness. Anyone else?

Flisstizzy Tue 31-Jan-17 22:28:45

Doesn't sound right. Can you add some foam padding to the tunnel? Is it definitely high enough for clearance of your child's head?

Pankhurst09 Tue 31-Jan-17 22:34:39

Fliss the tunnel is in a heap in my cupboard at the moment. I just couldn't chance her waking up and knocking herself out (the metal bars were that hard) I know it doesn't sound right, that's what I can't believe! I truly think there are a lot of parents unwittingly riding their luck with this, and that really concerns me. The tunnel is at head height, it was fitted completely in line with how all other tunnels are fitted. Very worrying.

SeahorsesSwim Tue 31-Jan-17 22:37:00

Can you post a picture?

amysmummy12345 Tue 31-Jan-17 22:37:27

Could you get some pool noodles to insulate the bars? Make them cushioned?

paxillin Tue 31-Jan-17 22:39:30

Mine had their tunnel until they totally trashed it years later. Never any injuries and plenty of contact with heads, limbs etc. They were hollow aluminium tubes connected with plastic T- and L-pieces, same as play tents, tunnel itself made from cotton I think.

Whippingpiccadilly Tue 31-Jan-17 22:44:17

My son has got a mid sleeper with a tunnel. The tunnel bit has got flexible plastic rods which I can bend back to kiss him goodnight or check on him if needed. The tunnel just pushes down the sides of the mattress and is easy to remove to change the bedding. It was from Noa and Nani. I've not seen metal one but it doesn't sound good.

Pankhurst09 Tue 31-Jan-17 22:48:10

Seahorse this was it before I dismantled the tent (also got a picture of little ones bruise 😞 But I don't know if I should post- need to familiarise myself with guidelines) amysmummy, yes I possibly think I could have given time but getting in from work- settling to bed and having an injury in that short space of time= tunnel being removed 😏 Pax your frames sound as if they were better meant for the purposes intended but again after tonight I'm genuinely concerned about these tunnels 😒

HopefullyAnonymous Tue 31-Jan-17 22:52:13

DD has this bed, they are like tent poles. I don't understand how they could be hard enough to injure someone?

skinnyamericano Tue 31-Jan-17 22:52:33

Sorry to hijack - whipping, have you been pleased with Noa and Nani? They just seem so reasonable!

Pankhurst09 Tue 31-Jan-17 22:52:54

Whipping funny you should say that! My eldest got her mid sleeper from Noa and Nani at exactly the same time and the quality was so much better, just a midsleeper, actually there was a tent but she didn't want that on. I did think had hers come with a tunnel it wouldn't be a hard metal frame but I didn't know for sure. I can't stand company's putting children's safety at risk 😬

Thebookswereherfriends Tue 31-Jan-17 22:53:06

The tunnels I've seen before are attached to the top of the side bars, not down inside like in your pic. I think the tunnel has just been incorrectly fitted.

PutDownThatLaptop Tue 31-Jan-17 22:53:19

Have you seen the Ikea one? It seems to fit higher up.

Pankhurst09 Tue 31-Jan-17 22:54:19

Hopefully I don't understand how you can't understand a hard metal frame at head height would injure someone unless they are different tents?

MargotLovedTom1 Tue 31-Jan-17 22:56:26

Ohhhh I feel claustrophobic just looking at that picture! I could not for the life of me sleep in a tunnel. Good job I'm in my 40s wink.

Would it be worth contacting the supplier or manufacturer?

Pankhurst09 Tue 31-Jan-17 22:56:34

Thebooks, possibly? Trying to ascertain the exact issue. Still thinking hard metal frame at any height above a little head= recipie for disaster at some point 😞

Pankhurst09 Tue 31-Jan-17 22:58:33

Margot ha ha! Try wedging yourself in to read a story and also making an undignified exit down the way too small slide for your bottom 🙈😜 Every cloud and all that- the tunnel has been removed!!

MargotLovedTom1 Tue 31-Jan-17 22:58:45

I'm just going to tentatively say and feel at liberty to ignore me - isn't that string of lights a strangulation risk?

thecraftyfox Tue 31-Jan-17 22:58:53

Is it this sleeper from Very www.very.co.uk/kidspace-galaxy-midsleeper-with-tent-tower-tunnel-and-slide

I don't think that your tent is assembled properly. This looks much higher

Pankhurst09 Tue 31-Jan-17 23:00:16

Put down I will look at IKEA one 👍🏻

MargotLovedTom1 Tue 31-Jan-17 23:00:31

Sorry x-post. Try changing the bedding on a top bunk - now that's a workout and a half!

Pankhurst09 Tue 31-Jan-17 23:01:27

Margot absolutely! Mum after my own heart- they were effect for walking in to see it for the first time! Completely with you 👍🏻

Whippingpiccadilly Tue 31-Jan-17 23:02:52

skinny I actually got the bed from Argos as I needed a shorter frame for the room. The accessory pack from Noa and Nani (tunnel, tent and tower) are great quality though. I also got a shelf from them which was good quality so I'm sure their beds would be too. The shelf arrived damaged so they sent me another free of charge with no quibbles too.

Pankhurst09 Tue 31-Jan-17 23:06:36

The crafty fox, I appreciate that 100% BUT regardless these tents are a hazard. The instructions the joiner had were completely illegible. The words were not printed, there were no diagrams. Therefore, I absolutely lay no blame with him. It concerns me that cowboys are selling dangerous furniture.

Pankhurst09 Tue 31-Jan-17 23:09:16

Craftyfox it is from Very and their customer service is a whole other issue perhaps for another thread 😔

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now