Talk

Advanced search

I'm relatively new here. Are we allowed to mention a Portuguese Supreme Court ruling today about a missing British child in Praia da Luz.

(171 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

meltownmary Tue 31-Jan-17 20:13:15

Don't want to break any rules. Thanks.

BeyondCanSeeTheEmperorsBellend Tue 31-Jan-17 20:15:45

I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark at it being a no.

icelollycraving Tue 31-Jan-17 20:16:30

Threads about that child don't stay around long. It's a very emotive subject & will no doubt get the usual not in the spirit of the site deletion message before long.

ghostyslovesheets Tue 31-Jan-17 20:16:37

it's not 'about a missing child' it's about a book

PavlovianLunge Tue 31-Jan-17 20:17:12

I really, really wouldn't. Threads on the subject always go to hell. Some go there quickly, some go there slowly, but they all end up going there.

<backs away from the thread>

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Tue 31-Jan-17 20:17:56

Is there any news about the poor girl?

Poorlybabysickday Tue 31-Jan-17 20:19:15

Of course there is no news about the poor girl confused

ArmySal Tue 31-Jan-17 20:19:30

If it's that missing child it's usually a big fat no.

StumblyMonkey Tue 31-Jan-17 20:20:17

What was the ruling?

I can't see why you wouldn't be able to say that at least since it's just relaying a fact...

SingingInTheRainstorm Tue 31-Jan-17 20:21:09

I don't think it'll be allowed given what happened on Sunday, but thanks for letting us know. Will have a little look as to what happened.

meltownmary Tue 31-Jan-17 20:21:30

@ Stumbly,

The British family lost their case in the Supreme court in Portugal.

rollonthesummer Tue 31-Jan-17 20:21:35

What was the ruling?

meltownmary Tue 31-Jan-17 20:22:24

SingingInTheRainstorm

What did I miss on Sunday.

Peregrina Tue 31-Jan-17 20:24:46

The British family lost their case in the Supreme court in Portugal.

Is this new news? I thought they lost ages ago? Was this an appeal?

Hope I get an answer before the thread goes phut.

Celaena Tue 31-Jan-17 20:24:53

from a website

Portugal’s Supreme Court has ruled that missing childs’s parents cannot sue for libel a former detective who published a book alleging they were involved in their daughter’s disappearance.

A court official told the Associated Press that Portugal’s highest court ruled the allegations are protected by freedom-of-expression laws.

The judges also decided his claims were not abusive and “were within acceptable limits in an open and democratic society”.

meltownmary Tue 31-Jan-17 20:25:10

It's OK,

I just wondered what the policy was about THAT case. Thanks.

Celaena Tue 31-Jan-17 20:25:18

@SingingInTheRainstorm what happened on sunday?

meltownmary Tue 31-Jan-17 20:26:31

Peregrina,

They appealed the last case that they lost to the Supreme Court who also ruled against them.

ECHR for a book is looking unlikely. Anyway.

Oblomov17 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:27:09

Why can't we talk about this? It always puzzles me that we can't talk about this subject. Like EVER. hmm

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 31-Jan-17 20:27:46

What did I miss on Sunday.

A UK court asking MN to hand over the contact details of 2 posters who had posted something about a surgeon. Presumably so he can sue them personally for libel.

It's not so much saying what the court ruling said that's the issue. It's the string of idiots that are going to fill up the rest of the thread by 'expressing their right to free speech' with no regard for the libel laws in this country.

Either MN will end up having to put a lot of effort into policing the thread or they will take the easy option and delete it.

SittingDrinkingTea Tue 31-Jan-17 20:28:03

I think simply stating facts is okay, it's conjecture which will get athread pulled.

conserveisposhforjam Tue 31-Jan-17 20:28:52

You are new but you started a thread asking if you could mention something you wouldn't know you couldn't mention if you were new?

Yeah right.

Goady fucker.

Celaena Tue 31-Jan-17 20:29:50

ah - that thing on sunday

PurpleMinionMummy Tue 31-Jan-17 20:30:47

Well it's very interesting. But as said the laws in our country are different. It would be interesting to know if a court here would rule the same way, in which case I guess there would be no reason to.stop us discussing it. But I doubt we will find out any time soon.

meltownmary Tue 31-Jan-17 20:31:17

conserveisposhforjam

Relatively new I said in OP. Not around long enough to know the drill re this case obv. Thank you anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now