Talk

Advanced search

AIBU and over sensitive or is this against the law?

(54 Posts)
Wishforsnow Tue 31-Jan-17 19:44:39

Just looking on my local Facebook pages and someone is renting a room. They are looking for a working Asian female only. It just seems wrong that you can advertise specifying race and work status. OK maybe get the work to ensure paying bills. Is it worth reporting to the moderators for the site?

QueenMortificado Tue 31-Jan-17 19:45:36

I'd like to know the answer to this, I see this quite often.....

StealthPolarBear Tue 31-Jan-17 19:45:55

shock what the hell do they actually want?

Reality16 Tue 31-Jan-17 19:46:06

Haha I'm quite sure that 'room for rent' is a code for something wink

OlennasWimple Tue 31-Jan-17 19:47:31

Spareroom.co.uk suggests this ad would be illegal regarding race

Floggingmolly Tue 31-Jan-17 19:48:05

It used to be 'French lessons'...

originalmavis Tue 31-Jan-17 19:48:18

There used to be a thing for renting to japaese tenants as they were thought to be tidy and quiet. Is it still a thing?

SingingInTheRainstorm Tue 31-Jan-17 19:49:00

I think some jobs can be so specific but only in certain circumstances. Personally I'd just scroll past unless it's a job you desire.

Wishforsnow Tue 31-Jan-17 19:49:01

Ha ha don't think it's code 😂 It is a female looking for a room to rent out. She doesn't have security settings on her Facebook so not looking like a swinging plan or anything!

originalmavis Tue 31-Jan-17 19:49:24

A neighbour won't rent out to young single Italian men (sadly) as he says they party too much. Sighhhhh.

Violetcharlotte Tue 31-Jan-17 19:50:00

I guess it could be an Asian female looking for a like minded female?

The more cynical side of me thinks it something more dubious though!

TeaBelle Tue 31-Jan-17 19:50:25

I don't think that try housing market is protected in the same way as recruitment

Wishforsnow Tue 31-Jan-17 19:51:48

I guess like minded would have worked better. I just can't imagine renting out a room in my house and specifying either whites only or blacks only etc.

pigeondujour Tue 31-Jan-17 19:51:50

You can rent a private room to whoever you want, surely. Loads of LGBT people advertise for other LGBT people only.

CotswoldStrife Tue 31-Jan-17 19:52:20

I don't think they can specify race in that way, unless the housing is specifically for that group and it's a requirement of the tenancy and I doubt this

ClashCityRocker Tue 31-Jan-17 19:54:32

I think asking about work status is ok.

I don't understand why they ask for 'professionals' only. Out of all my friends, it's the professionals that are the biggest wreck-heads.

Specifying race I suspect isn't legal...although is Asian even a race?

ClashCityRocker Tue 31-Jan-17 19:56:31

If I was advertising a room to rent, I'd advertise for a plumber. Useful people, plumbers.

CesareBorgiasUnicornMask Tue 31-Jan-17 20:00:23

I suspect not legal, but either way reminds me of this which amused me.

Janey50 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:02:27

I have seen this regularly,not on Facebook,but in the ads in shop windows. Just a few examples:-

Double room in house to rent. Only working Asian (1 male,1 female or 2 females) need apply.
Single room to let. Only available to Muslim female.
House share available. Applicant must be non-drinking,non-smoking,vegetarian Asian male.

I too have wondered about the legitimacy of these ads. I am pretty sure that if they said something like 'Room to let. Only British Christian male need apply' I am pretty sure that the powers-that-be would be on their case pretty damn quickly.

Wishforsnow Tue 31-Jan-17 20:02:39

Advertising for plumber is a fab idea. Sounds like I'm being over sensitive then. Just made me think of room to rent but no Irish.

pigeondujour Tue 31-Jan-17 20:04:32

Just had a nose. Apparently this is illegal, but it's also illegal to discriminate on the grounds of sex. I swear so many landlords do that?! When I shared with girls our landlady was perfectly happy for us to advertise for girls.

Janey50 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:08:46

Meant to add that I'm pretty sure that requesting that someone is working is legal,and saying which sex if it is for a flat or house share. Even expressing a wish for a non-smoker etc seems OK. But stating that you they must be Asian? Or Muslim? Surely that is some form of racism?

helenfagain Tue 31-Jan-17 20:08:50

Live in landlords can specify pretty much anything except race.

RebelRogue Tue 31-Jan-17 20:13:29

Tbh I guess it's more for an easy life. If you do prayers at a certain time,have certain customs,only eat halal etc it will be a lot easier to share the house with people like yourself. It's daft though as Asian is too wide and you couldn't guarantee you get what "you asked for".

Wishforsnow Tue 31-Jan-17 20:14:29

Maybe will just report the post to the moderator. Was really just surprised and glad to see that it is illegal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now