Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to be pissed off school trying to dictate which immunisations I give my child?

(36 Posts)
TellMeHowToLiveMyLife Tue 31-Jan-17 17:39:59

I'm getting ds1 the chickenpox vaccine. Simply because I can afford it, he's the only one in his class that hasn't yet had chickenpox and I know he'll inevitably catch it just as we're about to go abroad.

Told receptionist I'd be picking him up at 2 tomorrow as he has injection booked. She asks for an appointment card or text proving this. I don't have one and tell her so. She then states its school policy if having private treatment to have a referral letter from an NHS GP or it won't be considered necessary treatment and he'll be marked as having an unauthorised absence. I just did a confused face and said ok he'll have an unauthorised absence then.

Aibu to think this is fucking ridiculous? He's having 80 minutes off school to have an injection which will almost certainly mean he doesn't have to have a week off school in the future. He's also 4 so not even compulsory school age and has had a total of 2 days off ill since starting school in Sept (which they wanted a gp note for).

Would I be unreasonable to write complaining how bonkers this is?

sooperdooper Tue 31-Jan-17 17:41:56

Meh, just ask the doctors for an appointment card when you go, it's not about them vetting the injection it's to prove its a valid Drs appointment

strawberrypenguin Tue 31-Jan-17 17:43:33

They're not vetting the immunisation though are they. They're asking for proof that he actually has a GP appointment.

Jojay Tue 31-Jan-17 17:43:59

It does seem bonkers. He's not compulsory school age, there's nothing they can do so carry on and accept the unauthorised absence.

Sidge Tue 31-Jan-17 17:45:11

Well to be more accurate they're not trying to dictate what immunisations you give your child, are they?

They're trying to ensure his absence is recorded accurately; it does sound like overkill to me to classify whether an appointment is NHS or private, but essentially recording his absence correctly is valid. All schools want evidence of a legit appointment so just take in a card or letter after the event if you don't have one prior.

Headinthedraw Tue 31-Jan-17 17:45:20

Unless his attendance is below 90% or you have had a letter saying you now need to provide medical evidence I'd be annoyed by this as well.And he's only 4-super over zealous attendance policy there.

HeyRoly Tue 31-Jan-17 17:46:09

I know some parents take the piss with fictional "appointments", but it would certainly piss me off to have to provide proof, so I'm with you OP. It's the automatic assumption that a parent is lying that would stick in my craw.

ChocoChou Tue 31-Jan-17 17:46:26

I don't think she was trying to dictate what immunisations you should give your child. She was following the rules which came down from up high, she didn't make them up herself. I think it's reasonable to ask for an appointment card to be honest...
I understand Ds isn't at compulsory school age but I assume you've actually enrolled him at school and therefore have a duty to ensure he attends as much as possible.
You've got plenty more years to get annoyed at silly school procedures, I'd choose my battles if I were you OP grin

Sirzy Tue 31-Jan-17 17:48:06

Most schools ask for appointments which are non-urgent to be made outside of school hours if at all possible. I don't think schools wanting to know why children are going to miss some school time is unreasonable really.

harderandharder2breathe Tue 31-Jan-17 17:52:22

Yabu they're not dictating what jabs he has at all they just want to make sure it's a real appointment not you pulling him out for an afternoon in the park. Either show the appointment card or accept the unauthorised absence but ywbu to complain especially if you word it like the thread titke

BubbleWrapQueen Tue 31-Jan-17 18:11:04

If it's a private appointment surely you could make it for outside of school time?

catkind Tue 31-Jan-17 18:15:21

Sure there'll be some paper record after the jab that you can show them. The receipt if nothing else! Not that anyone's going to care about an hour or two off at 4 whether authorised or not.
I suspect non-routine private vaccs isn't that common and didn't fit the script.

Fairenuff Tue 31-Jan-17 18:20:27

How is that trying to dictate which immunisations you give your child? confused

QuackDuckQuack Tue 31-Jan-17 18:21:10

He probably won't be marked as unauthorised absence as he will probably be there for the afternoon register if you aren't picking him up until 2.

purplefizz26 Tue 31-Jan-17 18:23:53

I would tell them to swivel (in a polite way) if he isn't even at compulsory school age confused

NeedsAsockamnesty Tue 31-Jan-17 18:24:07

They're not vetting the immunisation though are they. They're asking for proof that he actually has a GP appointment

They kinda of are, by saying they will not authorise private medical appointments unless they are as a result of nhs referal

isadoradancing123 Tue 31-Jan-17 18:26:37

Don't know how you are expected to get a note for two days illness! Can't even get a GP appointment , never mind a note. Do the G P 's charge for these notes?

8misskitty8 Tue 31-Jan-17 18:27:11

Why did they want a gp note when he was off for 2 days ?
That is just rediculous.

8misskitty8 Tue 31-Jan-17 18:27:47

What a waste of nhs resources and doctors time for a sick note for a 4 year old.

yorkshapudding Tue 31-Jan-17 18:27:59

Your title is very misleading. They're not trying to dictate what immunisations you give your child. They have a duty to make sure absences are recorded correctly. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for an appointment card or a note. There are parents who take kids out all the time for fictional appointments and in some cases their reasons for doing so may be Safeguarding concerns. If some parents have to put up with a very minor inconvenience to protect the small minority who may be at risk then I can live with that to be honest.

YippieKayakOtherBuckets Tue 31-Jan-17 18:31:34

How exactly is that 'trying to dictate' your child's immunisations?

Or was 'school have a policy of proof for private medical treatment' not clickbaity enough? 'Immunisation' is catnip to MNers, after all.

CripsSandwiches Tue 31-Jan-17 18:36:29

I do think it's a ridiculous policy and I'd complain on principle. It's hardly likely anyone is taking their child to the doctor for cosmetic treatment so whether it's private and self referred should be irrelevant. Obviously it won't affect your DS as he's not even compulsory school age but it's still a stupid policy.

RockyTop Tue 31-Jan-17 18:37:02

That's really not trying to dictate what immunisations your child has. Annoying maybe, but misleading title.

Blankiefan Tue 31-Jan-17 18:38:47

This drives me nuts. Why should you have to prove anything. You're the parent. Unless DC had a really dodgy attendance record (and was schools age) it's bonkers. I'd complain

DD is only 3 so we haven't encountered school yet but I reckon I'm not going to be a popular parent. It just incenses me at the thought that my word wouldn't be taken as the truth (at least as a starting position).

DJBaggySmalls Tue 31-Jan-17 18:40:16

So you have to make a phone appointment between 8 and 8'30 am.
Then go in to the clinic for a scarp of paper you could print off yourself...

YANBU, its batshit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now