Talk

Advanced search

DC knocked over a cyclist

(364 Posts)
blueirishues Tue 31-Jan-17 16:33:51

The situation was that I pulled up and dc opened the car door, a cyclist went into it and over the top. My door is damaged and cyclist shouting all sorts about going to sue shock what are the rights and wrongs here?

PotteringAlong Tue 31-Jan-17 16:34:53

Your DC is in the wrong and should not have opened the door into a cyclist.

Treaclex Tue 31-Jan-17 16:36:01

Agree with Pottering. Is the cyclist ok ?

ZackyVengeance Tue 31-Jan-17 16:36:28

you are liable. and will have to pay for damages.
happened to my dh. wish people would bloody look

ArmySal Tue 31-Jan-17 16:36:41

Cycling on the pavement? His fault.

In the road? Your DC's.

AddToBasket Tue 31-Jan-17 16:36:57

Did you swap details? You are likely to get a claim, damage and PI.

Tell us more about the positions in the road, we're you parked, where did he come from. Drawing would be good.

The liability will depend on the circumstances but your insurers are likely to agree that you were at some fault unless there are specific circumstances that show the cyclist at fault.

evensmilingmakesmyfacehurt Tue 31-Jan-17 16:37:00

Your DC should have looked before opening the door, means you're at fault. Is the cyclist okay? Were they injured?

7SunshineSeven7 Tue 31-Jan-17 16:37:09

Is the cyclist okay? You need to hand over your insurance details. The cyclist has the right to claim 100%.

MoreThanUs Tue 31-Jan-17 16:37:17

Of course it was your DCs fault! That is awful.

Binglesplodge Tue 31-Jan-17 16:37:19

Oh dear. I'd think as the driver, especially when the passenger who caused the injury is one of your children, it was legally your responsibility to prevent the accident. Poor cyclist: they could have been very badly injured or killed by that sort of impact/fall.

EveOnline2016 Tue 31-Jan-17 16:37:34

Is the cyclist ok, was the door towards the pavement or the road.

londonrach Tue 31-Jan-17 16:37:35

Your dc should check before opening the door. Is the cyclist ok

londonrach Tue 31-Jan-17 16:39:12

Was cyclist on pavement (illegal) or road

blueirishues Tue 31-Jan-17 16:39:19

They were ok, thanks, shaken (obviously) we were both very apologetic.

PaulaBBB Tue 31-Jan-17 16:39:20

Poor cyclist, were they ok?

It's your fault entirely, you/DC should have checked before opening the door.

enfru Tue 31-Jan-17 16:39:29

Your DC should have looked even if opening door onto the pavement, there could've been a pedestrian there and they could've been hit. Hope the cyclist is ok

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Tue 31-Jan-17 16:39:35

If you'd pulled over, shouldn't the cyclist have gone round you? Or was the cyclist on the pavement?

Dawndonnaagain Tue 31-Jan-17 16:40:34

Save the life of a cyclist

Kiroro Tue 31-Jan-17 16:41:09

What are the rights and wrongs of it? Assuming the cyclist was on the road, or cycle path, or a shared use path, you are in the wrong. Obviously.

Get a child lock until your DC are mature enough to check before opening doors.

canyou Tue 31-Jan-17 16:41:55

Check has the cyclist insurance, we were parked putting DC into car last year when similar happened to us, a cyclist doing time trials hit the door ( so hit us in a parking space) I checked facebook for her club and made my car insurance follow up I had to insist they did, but her insurance paid us so check you may not be the one paying out.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 31-Jan-17 16:42:14

It's got a name - doored - shock. Well who knew.

blueirishues Tue 31-Jan-17 16:42:22

It was quite a wide road, with parking, and dc just didn't look properly. I think she will in future! Really shocked us both, she was sobbing and saying how sorry she was. It's a relief no permanent damage but definitely a lesson. (She's my friends little girl, by the way.)

Northernlurker Tue 31-Jan-17 16:42:47

I'm a cyclist. I also have children. Unless the cyclist was on the pavement or using a one way street wrongly this is definitely your responsibility.
Funnily enough I narrowly avoided an opening door today. That was an adult. Clearly didn't bother looking. It's really dangerous.

enterthedragon Tue 31-Jan-17 16:44:21

Rule 239 of the highway code states that you must not hit anyone when opening a car door.

Northernlurker Tue 31-Jan-17 16:44:24

You can't trust a child to look. I always look when I have dc opening doors but I am possibly unusually aware of this because I cycle so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now