Talk

Advanced search

to wonder what planet the 'ban Trump from the UK' people are living on

(493 Posts)
roseshippy Tue 31-Jan-17 15:32:02

Yes I understand that he's a sexist, racist, whatever-else-ist.

But he evidently thinks fondly of the UK, we are currently in the process of saying 'fuck off' to mainland Europe, so we will be a small, friendless island in the North Sea in need of some help.

AIBU to think that we need to suffer a bit of schmoozing from dodgy foreign leaders as part of post-Brexit Britain? (Actually didn't we already schmooze dodgy foreign leaders long before Brexit?)

And in reality Trump is rather less dodgy than the average world leader, if we exclude the EU, as we have done

What are the other choices?

MyKidsHaveTakenMySanity Tue 31-Jan-17 15:34:31

I dunno. I'd rather be on my own than besties with the school bully.
He needs to know that the world does not approve.

roseshippy Tue 31-Jan-17 15:35:35

The trouble is he doesn't care if the world approves. He gives no shits. His point is 'America is big enough to do what it wants'. And I think he is right.

We are OTOH not in that position.

stonecircle Tue 31-Jan-17 15:42:29

Agree with Mykids.

JamieXeed74 Tue 31-Jan-17 15:43:24

Who knows how long Trump will be in power, a trade deal could be forever. Its easy to get emotional and shout I dont like you, but back in the real world we have to safeguard jobs and our economy. I dont want to die in a ditch for Iranians rights to visit America over the next 90 days.

SerialNameChanging Tue 31-Jan-17 15:45:02

I personally value human rights over money, it's as simple as that.

trinketsofgold Tue 31-Jan-17 15:45:09

Where are the protesters when we're costing up to Saudi Arabia?!

Massive amounts of bandwagon jumping

MycatsaPirate Tue 31-Jan-17 15:47:02

If you are talking about the petition then it's to say that he shouldn't be a guest of the Queen, not that he can't come here.

But I agree with others who say that I wouldn't want to do a deal with a man who thinks anyone other than white, christian males are second class citizens.

Scaffleen Tue 31-Jan-17 15:49:41

It's not about stopping him in entering the UK it's about stopping the state visit. I'd rather like to see how Prince William reacts to him after what he said about Kate Middleton's topless shots. I'd love for him to punch him grin

Mrskeats Tue 31-Jan-17 15:50:18

Its about not meeting the Queen
The indecent haste the visit has been arranged in for a start. Check out how long it took before other Presidents were asked.
It makes us look pathetic.
Also he's tweeted some awful things about Kate Middleton.
Do your research OP before asking.

newmumwithquestions Tue 31-Jan-17 15:50:25

I agree trinkets. Trump is abhorrent but so are a lot of other world leaders. Are we going to ban them all?

Danglybits Tue 31-Jan-17 15:50:46

YANBU.

He's a slimeball, but we've hosted plenty of those in the past.

EllebellyBeeblebrox Tue 31-Jan-17 15:50:52

I think that Brexit has backed us massively into a corner, which is shit. I personally loathe Trump and his views and feel that our Teresa hasn't been clear enough or strong enough in her condemnation of them. Kind of ashamed actually.

Mrskeats Tue 31-Jan-17 15:51:26

It's not about banning them.
Look at the petition.

DJBaggySmalls Tue 31-Jan-17 15:53:29

The petition is not to ban Trump. Its to not offer him a full State visit.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Tue 31-Jan-17 15:53:35

What did he say about Kate?

ClaudiaApfelstrudel Tue 31-Jan-17 15:53:47

Personally I feel that these people by banning them you make them stronger whereas letting them speak shows them for the what they really are.

There are lots of angry people who identify with Trump purely based only on that anger. Once it wears of eventually they start to read what he's saying (hopefully)

jcne Tue 31-Jan-17 15:54:22

Me? I'd rather have no mates and die on my arse than compromise my most fundamental moral and ethical base.

NarkyMcDinkyChops Tue 31-Jan-17 15:54:35

Who are the "ban Trump from the UK people"?
Have you confused them with the people signing the petition to cancel the State Visit of Trump, which is an entirely different thing?

I wish people would check the most basic facts of what they were whining about.

And you don't make friends with President PussyGrabber just because you've already voted to ditch your friends in the EU.

MakingMerry Tue 31-Jan-17 15:54:41

Ban him from the UK, or not hold a state visit? Because those are two different things, and the petition being debated in Parliament is for the latter.

If you think calling for the state visit not to happen is the same as calling for him to be banned from the UK, then YABU.

Error404usernamenotfound Tue 31-Jan-17 15:54:42

Came on to post a reply, but it's pretty much word for word what Mrskeats said.
Of course he's going to visit the UK, but a full state visit is wholly inappropriate, both so soon into his presidency, and in light of his comments about the Duchess of Cambridge. The petition is not about stopping his visit entirely - why don't people read these things properly?

hackmum Tue 31-Jan-17 15:55:23

I haven't heard anyone call for Trump to be banned from the UK, OP. You've constructed what's known as a straw man...

Mrskeats Tue 31-Jan-17 15:56:19

That she should be expected to be photographed when sunbathing and should do it nude.
This puts the Queen in a difficult position.
I hope she gets involved personally

Corialanusburt Tue 31-Jan-17 15:56:22

He will come here anyway. Petitions can't stop that, but they do demonstrate the strength of our disgust with his new policy.

Mrskeats Tue 31-Jan-17 15:56:53

He may come here but the palace is a different matter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now