Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To enjoy the food shopping?

(25 Posts)
HairsprayBabe Tue 31-Jan-17 14:47:06

I really love doing the food shop, doesn't matter which supermarket I always enjoy it. I do have a sliding scale for supermarket preference though.

(Sainsbos, Waitrose, Aldi, Morrisons, ASDA, Lidl, Tesco if you were interested.)

I love seeing all the tins lined up the fruit and veg looking lovely and fresh, trying new ingredients, picking up recipe cards and the free magazines. Does anyone else like pushing the trolley round, picking things for the week, seeing what nice veg is on offer... going "off list" occasionally.

AIBU? Do I really need to get a hobby grin

Bringmewineandcake Tue 31-Jan-17 14:48:47

I like a nice mooch about so long as I'm by myself. Hell on earth with DC added to the mix.

SerialReJoiner Tue 31-Jan-17 14:51:50

I sometimes go in for a mooch, which is nice. I don't like doing the weekly bog-standard shop though. This is why I like Lidl/Aldi, because I'll go in to see what their current middle aisle offers are! smile

esk1mo Tue 31-Jan-17 14:54:57

its the highlight of my week grin

NancyDonahue Tue 31-Jan-17 14:56:36

I enjoy it if it's quiet. Detest it if it's busy, people in my way, internet shoppers blocking the aisle, queues.

I also enjoy the self checkout. Tesco is the best, Sainsbos is a pain in the arse.

HairsprayBabe Tue 31-Jan-17 14:56:45

Yes! The aisle of temptation!
Snow boots, a bird feeder and a colouring book! Who knew I needed them!? I'll take five.

I think it is the sans DC that lets me enjoy the bog standard shop, probably not half as much fun dragging an uncooperative child with you.

I have a separate ranking for supermarket Cafes, they are not part of the main shop!

Camomila Tue 31-Jan-17 14:59:52

Me too, I don't like the idea of online food shopping..I want to pick out the nice fruit and veg for myself.

There's a Waitrose near me which is conveniently by a duck pond and a costa coffee so it's a nice little outing for DS (9 months) and I. I do it a couple of times a week, go to duck pond, go to Waitrose to get a fresh bread roll and some salady bits, walk home for lunch via costa to get a hot chocolate.

LostMyDotBrain Tue 31-Jan-17 15:07:35

I love doing the food shop alone. I love it even more when nobody who knows me knows where I am grin I go completely off grid for just a couple of hours and take my sweet time. Because I don't want people to know where I am, I don't have a set day. I just pop off when there's stuff we need and I don't have DD with me for some reason. I browse the books, the clothes, the food, household stuff. It's amazing. grin

DJKKSlider Tue 31-Jan-17 15:13:06

I love the shops, I hate the other dicks using them.
If it weren't for screaming kids, feckless staff, morons blocking ailes, idiots stood in my way inspecting two identical items, pricks that can t park cars, dithery wankers who can't decide whish way they're going. Etc.

If it weren't for all that, it'd be great.

HairsprayBabe Tue 31-Jan-17 15:19:39

DJ You need to go to the 24hr tesco at like 3am you would love it

GeordieShorefg Tue 31-Jan-17 15:19:47

I hate it. but really to me it is just another chore. I can only go after work (when I am already tired / hungry ) when I have been on a 12 hour shift, or on a Saturday when it is busy

If I go during a week off, say on a weekday afternoon when it is quieter, I enjoy it far more, I tend to meal plan a lot more as I am perusing and come away with much better meals, and value for money

MyOtherNameIsTaken Tue 31-Jan-17 15:23:03

I enjoy food shopping too😁 Having a proper mooch around. Bliss.

Scotinoz Tue 31-Jan-17 15:26:10

I enjoy the supermarket too! Sans children, and in Waitrose, it's utterly glorious, but even with children it's never too tedious (I bribe them with the promise with Costa afterwards).

MrsD28 Tue 31-Jan-17 15:45:25

I love grocery shopping! Now that we have baby DS, DH is always trying to convince me to do the shopping online - never!

CakeNinja Tue 31-Jan-17 15:49:07

It's hell on earth for me.
Having food is necessary, I do mine all online so I can spend more time doing things I enjoy - it's not necessary for me to go and do it myself so I delegate that chore!
So I think you're bonkers personally, but each to their own grin

Artus Tue 31-Jan-17 15:50:09

We both enjoy supermarket shopping. What's more we go together, which is another Mumsnet no-no. And sometimes on a weekend, even though we are semi-retired. ~Just because we want to!

CakeNinja Tue 31-Jan-17 15:51:34

Artus, this gives me the rage as I see it as a crappy chore despite loving food and cooking and all things food related! People 'mooching' about in public spaces... this is why I don't go anymore!!!

jcne Tue 31-Jan-17 15:51:37

I love to food shop but then food is one of my 'control issues' areas and, unlike the others of those, it is quite well within my influence 😈

Artus Tue 31-Jan-17 15:54:31

I quite like people watching, so many different ways of doing things. I enjoy a mooch too. we do it often. I am unrepentant - but admit I may need a more exciting life!

luckylucky24 Tue 31-Jan-17 15:57:51

I love meal planning. I spends ages thinking of meals and selecting ingredients but do the actual shop online.
Once the food has arrived I give it a day or two before I am thinking about next weeks shop.

SleepingBooty Tue 31-Jan-17 15:59:04

I don't enjoy it at the moment as I either have a very chatty 4yr old or I'm tired after work. When DC starts school I will enjoy it more.

TheNaze73 Tue 31-Jan-17 16:09:16

It's the best fun you can have with your clothes on. I enjoy it

formerbabe Tue 31-Jan-17 16:20:44

Ohhh I love it too! Get really excited when it's time to go food shopping. I like it best when kids are at school so I can take my time. It's also a highlight of my week...blush. That's why I don't do online shopping...

HairsprayBabe Wed 01-Feb-17 09:12:18

I used to love it when I was little, my mum used to take just me, and we would often go for a nice hot chocolate or cake in the cafe afterwards. I'm the eldest of 3 and she worked FT from when I was tiny so I loved getting one on one time with her!

I am sure I was always good and helpful, that is how I recall it anyway wink

Moresaltedcaramel Wed 01-Feb-17 09:23:20

I enjoy it. I particularly enjoy mooching round supermarkets and markets abroad. But lm always up for a supermarket mooch! I never do a 'big shop' as l have no brand loyalty and like to visit several different ones each week. But it was different when I worked full time and had small dc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now