Talk

Advanced search

To Remind You That the Deadline for Tax Returns is Midnight Tonight

(23 Posts)

Remember the system has been known to crash due to all the last minute returns.

Only 6 hours left

Note3 Tue 31-Jan-17 18:10:49

Great post as I bet ppl have forgotten!

EZA15 Tue 31-Jan-17 19:22:20

Not self employed - but what's the tax thing to do in April then?

EhWhatPardon Tue 31-Jan-17 19:23:49

I'd forgotten, just went on and paid. Thank God the online system is easy enough to use, tried calling earlier but the lines seem jammed.

user892 Tue 31-Jan-17 19:25:43

EZA15 - the same. You can submit your tax return for the last financial year anytime between April 6th and Jan 31st.

AnthonyPandy Tue 31-Jan-17 19:32:50

I was wondering that too. So what people are earning from April 2016 to March 2017 they will have from April 2017 to January 2018 to pay?

DoloresTheRunawayTrain Tue 31-Jan-17 19:33:03

EZA15 April is the end of the tax year and you need to submit your income and expenditure from April to April on your tax return. The deadline to do so online is 31st January, via post 31st October and payment deadline for payment of tax due is also 31st January.

JenniferYellowHat1980 Tue 31-Jan-17 19:34:35

I believe there is no tax return next year grin - not sure how it'll be replaced.

DoloresTheRunawayTrain Tue 31-Jan-17 19:35:37

AnthonyPandy that is correct. Tax returns are submitted and paid a year in arrears although in some cases there is an estimated payment for the following year added in that needs to be paid in 2 lump sums by the end of March and end of July.

user892 Tue 31-Jan-17 19:36:48

Yep Anthony.. So people are submitting their income & expenses etc for the tax year running 6th April 2015 - 5th April 2016... With the info and any tax or NI to pay being due by midnight tonight.

AnthonyPandy Tue 31-Jan-17 19:40:30

I heard the new one is every 3 months I think.

Isn't it funny how you have all these little (little to me as it is not relevant to me at all) questions scrambled inside your head for so long but never get around to finding out the answers? Thanks Dolores!

Trollspoopglitter Tue 31-Jan-17 19:43:31

By the way, if you've submitted your form in plenty of time, please go in and check again they haven't recalculated your amount due.

I did mine a week ago and logged in a day later to verify there was no recalculation... I decided to triple check just now and get a screen shot - and the fuckers recalculated an advanced payment due tonite. How do they get away with that?!

DoloresTheRunawayTrain Tue 31-Jan-17 19:45:11

JeninniferYellowHat1980 tax will then operate as a pay as you go system and instead of filing an annual return you can file as you go and treat it in a similar way to your normal bookkeeping.
There's still a lot to iron out in a short amount of time.

LumelaMme Tue 31-Jan-17 19:55:00

Oh Jeez, I'd forgotten about the lovely new every-three-months system.

Arse.

specialsubject Tue 31-Jan-17 19:57:47

I'm afraid that 'I heard' = always wrong..

There will be a tax return next year.
There will not be four tax returns a year.

The project is called 'making tax digital', an Osborne special. Due to an unexpected change of circumstances, it is stalled as there are one or two other things to do.

The online submission system actually works perfectly well as long you get your arse in gear before the end of January. The new system will almost certainly be delayed. Let's hope it doesn't break what we have now.

Mrsemcgregor Tue 31-Jan-17 19:58:00

I am almost 100% certain I did it in August. But now I am doubting myself. Bah.

LumelaMme Tue 31-Jan-17 20:02:41

The project is called 'making tax digital', an Osborne special. Due to an unexpected change of circumstances, it is stalled as there are one or two other things to do.
HURRAH!
I'd rather concentrate the effing and blinding into a couple of days once a year. It's the ultimate test of my less than perfect filing system.

But I do it all in the autumn; then if I have a problem, I have time to sort it out.

Oblomov17 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:14:24

Yes, the re-calculation thing always puzzles me.

EZA15 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:40:35

Thanks Delores!

crazywriter Tue 31-Jan-17 21:03:53

Thank you for that update. I hadn't heard anything about it for a while and never even considered a new Chancellor would change this. I'd rather do it all once a year. I do it all in June and then don't have the mad rush in January.

Whenever I do the return I always pay near the end of Jan (but a couple of days before the deadline to allow for technical issues)

TodaysFishIsTroutALaCreme Tue 31-Jan-17 22:03:16

Registered bookkeeper here.

Tomorrow, I am going to sleep for 48 hours straight!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now